Vintage!

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by LLaura, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deborah

Deborah New Member

I don't buy vintage often, I like the idea but in practice its not so good. But I did come across this dress at a vintage fair this weekend and my boyfriend bought me it for an early birthday present.
    [​IMG]
    It makes me want to go out and find more vintage. And it only smells a little bit.

2. snowqueen

snowqueen New Member

i wish i could do the whole vintage thing finding new clothes that fit is a chore in its self vintage near enough impossible :(

did people have smaller boobs in past just out of curiosity?

I have a cousin who only wears vintage 40s and 50s who always looks fabulous wish i could pull it off

3. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Apparantly they were just smaller in general.

4. snowqueen

snowqueen New Member

^ would make sense :flower: your dress is gorgeous btw colour suits you :)

5. Deborah

Deborah New Member

Thanks, I have never been sure of red on me but I couldn't resist trying this one. I don't normally go for this shape either, I'm more of a waist girl but hey ho.

6. SlovesNY

SlovesNY Active Member

Well in my case, it seems that people in the past had huuuuuge boobs :p. Every vintage dress I try on fits me perfectly, only the breasts-part (?) seems so out of proportion. It usually looks like my breasts are 2 cups sizes too small :(. It really is a big problem for me, and I never had this problem before with brandnew clothes so it's not like my body is out of proportion.

7. Deborah

Deborah New Member

I think body shapes are different all together, I do believe people use to be smaller but with a more defined waistline, so the boobs would have been bigger next to it perhaps. I dunno theres probably articles about it somewhere.

8. gius

gius écrivain

Just a guess but they might have been wearing different kinds of undergarments back then. There are old magazines with ads for girdles and corset-like things, could be changing the figure somehow

9. ediewho

ediewho Riot Bug

Deborah gius I think you both are right.
    My mother has such a pin up naturally body shape of really thin waist and big breast....some of her old dresses are terrible to fit in if they are meant to be curvy type cause im more like twiggy style but my sister who is more curvy cannot fit well either cause her waist aint as tinnier as our mother...
    I kinda love the dresses and stuff she wore when everybody wanted to look like twiggy and they tried to literally hide their breast or make them smaller... those are the dresses and stuff that fit me more or less right...

10. snowqueen

snowqueen New Member

haha see im exactly like that very petite curvy hourglass and huge boobs sounds like vintage clothes might actually fit me better hmm maybe i gave up to easily thanks for all your input :flower:

11. snowqueen

snowqueen New Member

and gius i think your on to something bras and that probally werent as supportive so maybe things sat differently hmm its certainly got me thinking :flower:

12. UNiQFashionista

UNiQFashionista Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

im obsessed with vintage, esp vintage designer wear. I was at the manhattan vintage show yesterday and got amazing things!..I think, esp if you are looking for designer pieces , they are a great investment...I mean I saw scores of designers and their teams buying things...why not just buy the real thing!!..I bought this gorgeous dress for 79 dollars, the seller wasn't sure who the designer was, when i got home and tried it on, i saw a label on the bottom inside of the dress saying, christian dior new york. saks fifth avenue! so did i score?!! or can ppl just sew in labels?

13. liberty33r1b

liberty33r1b Well-Known Member

^maybe you could post a pic of the dress? I'd love to see it.

14. UNiQFashionista

UNiQFashionista Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

omg I just visited the Christian Dior by Marc Bohan and saw a dress exactly like the one I got, but mine is a different color !! I'm SO HAPPY!! will post a pic on that thread perhaps?

15. gius

gius écrivain

yes please, and congrats !

16. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

17. tFS Thread Manager

tFS Thread Manager Automated Thread Manager

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread [split]238485[/split]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.