Vintage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lena, have you taken pics of yor items? *sitting on the edge of chair, waiting impatiently*

Does anyone else have pics of their finds? I'm a total sucker for vintage...

:flower:

Check out this page, Scandi: 1910s evening dress.. This dress is not at all wearable, but it is pretty cool and part of my archives. I have a whole lot of vintage stuff, and am making up an online museum of some of my cooler pieces.

notgunnesaxfront.JPG
notgunnesaxback.JPG

Here is one from the 1970s in the "prairie dress" vein, as made infamous by GunneSax and Laura Ashley. It's an appalling piece, but I got it when I was 11, for a Halloween costume, and kept it around for sentimental value. Also, it does represent a significant trend from the era. This was a mass-market piece, probably from Sears, Montgomery-Ward, Penney's or a major lower-middle-market department store like Macy's.
notgunnesaxfrontdetail.JPG

bodice-trim close-up

turquoisevelvetcoatf.JPG

turquoisevelvetcoatb.JPG

Tuquoise-green velvet coat. It has the world's most awesome lining which I stupidly forgot to photograph!

pleasantvillefront.JPG

Here is another one which is archive-only. It is in too delicate of condition to wear--the fabric is fragile and has already split in a couple of places. You can see one tear in the right-side sleeve, and there are a couple of vertical tears in the skirt, which are hidden by the way it drapes. This dress was definitely a lower-end purchase, possibly Montgomery-Ward or a lower-priced local shop or department store. The plaid is badly matched along many seams and the fabric was not especially high quality, hence its poor survival to this later date. Nonetheless, it had a cute cut and style, and probably looked pretty on the original wearer. From the verbal provenance given to me about this dress, it was worn by a high-school girl in Chadron, NE in the early 1950s. When an older gentleman in our neighborhood died, he left his house and all its contents to a close family friend, and when she was cleaning out the attic, she gave me a bunch of old clothes from up there, ranging from a baby's shoulder-cape dating probably to the 1870s to several shirtwaister dresses from the late 1950s. Some of it has a known provenance--who wore it, when, what occasion, some of it does not.

I don't shop from e-BAY. It stresses me out! :smile: If I want to buy something, I don't want to know some smartass kid with a big allowance is going to up-bid me seconds before the auction closes :lol:

I don't even go to e-BAY, I don't want to be tempted. Last time I tried to buy something was this dumb handbag from Kate Spade, the auction started at $10, so I put a max bid of $25, 'cause that's all that bag was worth in my eyes, and it was up to $300 by the next time I checked. :sick:

NO more e-BAY for me!

Anything I get comes from hand-me-downs, thrift-shops, and the back-rooms of antique/retro furniture stores. These places often buy lots from estate auctions, and get stuck with a bunch of old clothes, and usually let them go for a VERY reasonable price. I bought two wonderful 1970s bias-cut tweedy-plaid librarian skirts for $12 a couple of summers ago, and a great velvet blazer, same era, for $8.

Originally posted by As You Like It@Apr 24th, 2004 - 8:49 am
I don't shop from e-BAY. It stresses me out! :smile: If I want to buy something, I don't want to know some smartass kid with a big allowance is going to up-bid me seconds before the auction closes :lol:

I don't even go to e-BAY, I don't want to be tempted. Last time I tried to buy something was this dumb handbag from Kate Spade, the auction started at $10, so I put a max bid of $25, 'cause that's all that bag was worth in my eyes, and it was up to $300 by the next time I checked. :sick:

NO more e-BAY for me!
There is software you can use to monitor your auctions and slam in there with the winning bid, just pennies higher, in the last 2 seconds, while you are asleep or otherwise engaged. :innocent:

Thanks :D I'm making a copy of my granmothers dress, black one :smile: I'll post pictures of it later, not quite finished :flower:

Betty Boop--I adore that dress your grandma made in the 1950s. That is one of the cutest outfits I have ever seen! Do you have a picture of her wearing it back then?

Originally posted by tealady+Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:05 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:05 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-As You Like It@Apr 24th, 2004 - 8:49 am
I don't shop from e-BAY.  It stresses me out!  :smile:  If I want to buy something, I don't want to know some smartass kid with a big allowance is going to up-bid me seconds before the auction closes  :lol:

I don't even go to e-BAY, I don't want to be tempted.  Last time I tried to buy something was this dumb handbag from Kate Spade, the auction started at $10, so I put a max bid of $25, 'cause that's all that bag was worth in my eyes, and it was up to $300 by the next time I checked. :sick:

NO more e-BAY for me!
There is software you can use to monitor your auctions and slam in there with the winning bid, just pennies higher, in the last 2 seconds, while you are asleep or otherwise engaged. :innocent: [/b][/quote]
Well, too often e-BAY sales go up a LOT higher than I am willing to pay and could afford. I believe it is best for all concerned if I stay quite a long ways away from e-BAY! :unsure:

Originally posted by scandinavianchic@Apr 24th, 2004 - 11:47 am
Lena, have you taken pics of yor items? *sitting on the edge of chair, waiting impatiently*

:flower:
:ninja: not yet.. i'm slow but i'll post :blush:

congrats to your grandmother bettyb. :flower:

:woot: asyoulikeit, love the velvet coat (shape, colour, fabric) and the check dress is adorable , the online museum sounds great

As You Like It : No, sorry. she was a maid at a rich peoples home (the man of the house owned a store) and every christmas he gave the maids a lot of material and thread to make something pretty and she made that dress, she found a dress in a Burda magazine and copyed it and changed what she wanted to change :smile: There are really few pictures of her from that time, a shame really, she was a total fashion addict and spent her whole month sallery on a red coat... then she found out it was a coat that girls who were into soildiers wore (there was an army base here and a real situation when it came to girls and sex) :wink: She only wore the coat once and now it's lost :(

She owned a lot of really beautiful vintage clothes! but she loaned my cousin a lot and she doesn't care a bit about the value of beautiful clothes, she either ruined them or loaned people who loaned other people who loaned other etc and as you can guess, the clothes got lost :cry: I'm so mad at her for being so dumb to so precious things :angry: She almost ruined this dress, I have it to fix it, it's all pinned up on the picture, she managed to rip most of the threads in the dress.

Originally posted by maarit@Apr 25th, 2004 - 6:09 am
some of my scarves
Your scarves are lovely! I am in awe. I am wild about scarves and wear them often, so I always like to see different styles. Those are silk, too, aren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->