Vivienne Westwood : Pre-2000

saw a girl (lady) wearing an original Viv Westwood top from the pirate collection at the Adam Ant show...

:argg:

blah... I'd like to own a squiggle print top OR trousers... some time in my life.
yeah...that's what it was ...
a bit tunic top...white with red squiggles...
basically- the holy grail...:P

she didn't wear it well at all though...:(
all i kept thinking was that she really didn't deserve to own that top if she couldn't do it justice...

give it to ME...!!!
:judge:...

:ninja:...:innocent:...:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello you lovely people!
I am using vivienne Westwood as a main focus for my dissertation in my final year of university.
My original title was Vivienne Westwood: A shift in popular perception - from the anarchistic punk era to the most excellent Order of the British Empire.
This is based around the journalism coverage of her and how her status has changed over this period of time.
I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of issues I could cover as I find this title hard to research.
I thought I would post on here as you people seem to be avid fans, as am I!
Thank you and look forward to hearing back!

:smile:

I wonder if you are coming at this from a political-economic perspective, and considering the reasons why? If so, then you might want to look at Fredric Jameson and postmodernism. Something that might be worth considering is how movements of rebellion are co-opted by the systems in place, and as such they lose their power.

I believe it's Zizek who says that the way to resist now is "overconformity." Not sure about that? :question: Might that be what Vivian is doing, with all her references to Britishness and the Queen? But might the irony be lost? Hmmmm...

She does manage to get her message about the environment across, but is it lost in a field that essentially promotes endless consumption?

Great topic.

Pop Quiz: which pop star wore this piece from Westwood's Witches collection in her debut video?
b437d5c26ee1380661c55a1d510ea16e_zps5adb7978.jpg

src: resurrectionvintage.com

a little discovery of mine... i was browsing this vivienne westwood/malcolm mclaren website and found this piece from the 70s, and i think it might have been an inspiration for charles anastase... in the choice of materials as well as the design. vivienne westwood was one of the first designers i followed, so to know i'm wearing pieces inspired by her designs without even knowing it is quite special to me. :lol: geeking out.

the original, probably for men? i can picture adam ant wearing this
malcolmmclaren.jpg

punkpistol.com

my coat, a cutsiefied version
photo.jpg

my photo

i think this is pre-2000 but i am not sure. it is a black wool jacket with the gold made in england label. the pattern and structure with respect to the sleeves are very complex. it is as if the sleeves' seams were rotated forward, and then the proportions of the sleeves were toyed with--it is very idiosyncratic for vivienne westwood. there is also the attached "vest" insert with 3 buttons which is very structured and fitted, in contrast with the rest of the piece.

the choker necklace (three strands of milk glass beads spaced with crystal-studded metal bones) is also westwood.

vw2-1_zpsdce01c7f.jpg

vw3-1_zpse47333b1.jpg

vw1-1_zps07445975.jpg

pix by me

very interesting jacket...
the nklc is great too!

:heart:

bordelique...
definitely interesting to compare the two...
though they both might have been originally inspired by a military uniform from WWI or WWII...

Does anyone know where to find pictures of Vivienne's past men collections? I saw her fall winter 2002 video and it's just so gorgeous.

Does anyone know when Malcom McLaren got cancelled off the original Seditionaries label?
So it doesn’t say his name but instead:
Vivienne Westwood
Seditionaries
Personal Collection
Original

or in another Order bug i want to know when it was changed
Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member