Vogue Australia January 2017 : Nicole Kidman by Will Davidson

AL92

Reaction score
fd8fd1ec380dd4239e8127eb10ed2d74_zpsnsnaavts.jpg

source: dailytelegraph.com.au​

^ My thought exactly, lol. Her right hand pose is so awkward.

Why did they go for such a harsh yellow? It doesn't suit her porcelain skintone at all. And the art direction is slowly regressing back to the Clements era.
I also loathe the cover styling, any of the two shots above, especially the first one, would've made a better cover. Quite taken with the 'Portrait of a Lady' hair though!

Still nice to see Nicole for VA again, and I'm keen to see whether Vogue will even touch on her seemingly strained relationship with Connor/Isabella.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they go for such a harsh yellow? It doesn't suit her porcelain skintone at all.

Exactly! Had it been a different colour it would have been a stunning cover.

Still, Nicole looks lovely.

I'm all for OZ Vogue celebrating Australian women but could someone tell Vogue it ain't 2003 anymore. Sigh!!!!

And the art direction is slowly regressing back to the Clements era.

my thoughts exactly, those fonts and the bright colours are so Clements!! am i the only one who wishes she was still EIC? the commitment to up and coming local models was unparalleled. Still, i remember reading in Kirstie's memoir about Kidman's deal with aussie Bazaar that basically meant Aussie Vogue was only able to use reprints of her, so McCann has done something right.

I don't like this yellow font. Nicole in Vogue Australia looks always the same to me.

As already said, I really feel like I've seen it before.
I actually like the yellow. It is not flattering to her, it's odd and peculiar, but it makes it pop.

LOL, why always giving her the same styling?
Her face looks so fake and plastic. Boring.

.....am i the only one who wishes she was still EIC?

No you're not, HeatherAnne loves her lots, and I'm sure she'd be delighted to see Clements in charge! :wink:

I didn't know aybout Nicole's HB embargo! What's the story here? It's so very odd to favour Harper's over Vogue, and indeed, each and every cover of her under Clements was a reprint! Part of the reason why I don't miss her is because of her aggressive reprinting. In one one year her covers could come from three of the top Vogues, and VF. Shortly before she left she did good though!

From Kirstie Clements' book, the Vogue Factor,
"oftentimes during my career, i was in negotiations regarding Nicole Kidman, most of them fruitless. I started to sense that Nicole's management had a strategy in place which meant she would be able to shoot for Harper's Bazaar Australia but only allow Vogue Australia to lift other material that had been produced for international editions."

She goes on to say how Karl wanted Nicole for his guest edited edition but it once again fell through and ironically she became the face of Chanel No.5 not long after.

Well why was that? Becasue Clements lacked one most important thing; DIPLOMACY! This is a woman who complained to Kidman's people that they had too many demands when she got her to shoot for them an original cover, and went on a tirade to her managment when they changed, at last minute, the date of the shoot!

Also plenty of modeling agencies had issues with how she did buisness. So is it a surprise Kidman would chose HB over Vogue? It's not something she brings up in her pathetic book, of course!

Stars are difficult to deal with, but that's part of the job as EIC of Vogue that is NOT as powerful as American or French editions.

And it just goes to show how more suited Edwina is for the role. She might be using a bit much celebs, but now VA is part of the conversation at least, and she is even able to get Gigi or Kendall.etc, and has made the magazine more attractive to advertisers as a result. Unlike with Clements i never heard a bad thing about her.

Another EIC that is beloved is Arp, everyone loves working with her, and for VG!

Well why was that? Becasue Clements lacked one most important thing; DIPLOMACY! This is a woman who complained to Kidman's people that they had too many demands when she got her to shoot for them an original cover, and went on a tirade to her managment when they changed, at last minute, the date of the shoot!

Also plenty of modeling agencies had issues with how she did buisness. So is it a surprise Kidman would chose HB over Vogue? It's not something she brings up in her pathetic book, of course!

A woman who wasn't afraid to speak her mind :heart::heart::heart:

And at least she she actually used models -- Abbey Lee Kershaw & Julia Nobis (amongst others) owe a lot to her for their careers.

You can complement Edwina all day, but Clements is the one who came up with the identity of this magazine and kept it from being generic. [Granted, admittedly she stole a lot of that identity from hiring Russh's entire staff]. Edwina kept the ship going for awhile, but lately it's back to being completely unrecognizable fluff.

Not trying to get it in a debate, I don't have anything invested in this, just don't understand the Clements hate. This magazine was nothing before her, and it has been nothing since.

^ I can agree that she did plenty of good while running the magazine. Especially with using good models, but i can't agree that it has turned into nothing since she been out. I think Edwina took it one step further, and is doing good even on the written content.

But I'm the same, i don't have anything invested in either, and Edwina could be replaced anytime, but so far she been guiding the ship well.

^ I can agree that she did plenty of good while running the magazine. Especially with using good models, but i can't agree that it has turned into nothing since she been out. I think Edwina took it one step further, and is doing good even on the written content.

But I'm the same, i don't have anything invested in either, and Edwina could be replaced anytime, but so far she been guiding the ship well.

Totally opposite ends of this one, but I enjoyed hashing it out.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->