Vogue China December 2013 : Shu Qi by Mario Testino

Gorgeous cover. Love Shu Qi <3
The editorial previews look very promising.
Did Testino shoot all the stories in this issue? It seems his exhibition is going to be held in China, as is it in Korea now, which is the reason why this issue is the Testino Special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the classic Penn-touch of the cover, but there is something weird about it at the same time. Really like this one with all the reds, it`s like going back to the old school. Which i truly am a sucker for!

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2013-11-06 kl. 09.18.54.png
    Skjermbilde 2013-11-06 kl. 09.18.54.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 25
Gorgeous cover. Love Shu Qi <3
The editorial previews look very promising.
Did Testino shoot all the stories in this issue? It seems his exhibition is going to be held in China, as is it in Korea now, which is the reason why this issue is the Testino Special.

I found it irrelevant to this issue. The exhibition was held in China last year.

BEIJING — It has been more than eight years and 99 issues since Vogue China debuted to a fashion-hungry and potentially massive audience ready to pounce on its pages.

Now, for its 100th issue, the magazine is promising its 1.2 million readers something special: 153 pages of beauty and trends shot exclusively for Vogue China by Mario Testino.

In an interview at her office, Vogue China editor Angelica Cheung described how she and Testino met while working together on his photo exhibition in China and shoot here for American Vogue, developing a friendship in which the pair “knew we wanted to do something together, but it took a while to figure out what that should be.”

The resulting collaboration is the December issue, which hits China’s newsstands on Nov. 11. The production took months of planning but was mostly shot by Testino within one week in China, along with a few fashion stories in Los Angeles and other locations featuring Chinese models. The China-based shoots cover a spectrum of culture and fashion influences, some Cheung’s ideas, some from Testino, all very much collaborative.

In “The Grand Masters,” Testino places vibrant models alongside Chinese opera masters, featuring traditional Chinese opera’s unique costumes and makeup techniques and a study of how those bold colors and patterns are transformed into more relatable beauty.

In “A Band Apart,” which he shot in Beijing’s gritty music club Yugong Yishan, the photographer portrays the powerful influence of China’s urban young and hip, a departure for a magazine that normally displays a more aspirational look at upper echelons of fashion and style rather than street culture.

Meanwhile, “Portrait of a Lady” showcases elegant, European styling at various locations around a Beijing landmark: the Summer Palace, the holiday haven of the Qing Dynasty. The result, Cheung beams, is a shoot that could have taken place anywhere in the world. But this and all the shoots are uniquely China, with an all-Chinese cast of models.

Additionally, Chinese film star Shu Qi is featured on the cover dressed in all black, a cap and veil showing off subtle style.

“I wanted to mix all the elements that I find interesting about China — the past, the present and the future,” said Testino. “Looking to the past, I photographed five Chinese opera singers from the Peking Opera and Kunqu Opera, and inspired by their makeup and traditional costumes, I photographed a beauty story alongside this on the model Tian Yi. This was particularly exciting as when I proposed the idea of photographing the opera singers to Angelica she said it would be interesting as long as we made it relevant for today. For the audience in China, the opera singers are well known, so following Angelica’s idea, we took this and gave it a more contemporary angle through the makeup story.

“I then mixed in the modern Chinese woman who is inspired by girls in the West today who carry small dogs, and instead of giving her a dog as a pet, I gave her an alligator. When I first researched China, I was also interested in the different religions and philosophy, and I really wanted to convey the spiritual woman — so for another shoot, I depicted a woman who is in touch with her spirituality.

“The cover story was with the actress Shu Qi, and for this I wanted her to emulate a mix between Audrey Hepburn and Angelina Jolie.”

Cheung says she believes Testino is one of the first non-Chinese photographers to understand how to capture modern fashion and beauty in China in a way that speaks to Vogue China’s audience.

Too often, she said, non-Chinese photographers seem to approach the country and the people as exotic and foreign, rather than understanding how Chinese faces and looks are simply normal here. Chinese readers want beauty, not to be viewed as “others,” she explained. Testino, Cheung said, understands that fact and presents Chinese models and styling in a gorgeous way that will captivate Vogue China readers.

Testino said he loved the challenge. “This is the sixth issue of Vogue that I have done [following Spanish, French, German and two issues of Brazilian Vogue] where I have not only photographed all the editorials but worked closely with the editor to direct and define all the content and the look of the issue. I don’t really see this as a challenge, though; I love the process of collaborating, and this process is the same for me here, just on a larger, more holistic scale,” he said.

The magazine launch will be followed with a cocktail party on Nov. 12 with Testino in Beijing.

After tripling its circulation since the magazine started, Vogue China still has a long path ahead.

Cheung said it is a difficult task as China’s fashion audience grows and segments. In the beginning, Vogue was aimed at top-tier Chinese consumers and growth was inevitable.

“Growth is easy; everybody makes money in China,” Cheung said with a laugh.

The top tier has grown, but an emerging middle class, aspirational consumers and other segments of society all demand attention as well. Cheung said that when in doubt, Vogue China sticks to a message that will speak to its original core readers, but digital integration and social media have broadened the magazine’s appeal to a much wider audience. She wants to use that as a tool to educate China’s consumers about much more than clothing trends.

“China is a country that is growing and finding its path as it goes along,” said Testino. “I am curious how it will carry on developing and changing, especially with young Chinese people growing up in a more open environment than what it used to be.”
wwd.com

Like the classic Penn-touch of the cover, but there is something weird about it at the same time. Really like this one with all the reds, it`s like going back to the old school. Which i truly am a sucker for!

Hello DesireeM, please provide the source for your image or it will have to be deleted. Thank you.

i kinda hate to use that word, but the cover looks iconic. i love it.

I don't like it when Vogue magazines go local. Plus, the cover is horrible. It has been a very bad year in terms of covers for Vogue China, they didn't have a single decent one.

PS: Testino should take a never-ending rest (and take Sgura and Sims with him).

bad cover, to be expected from mario testino though :ninja: the content looks more interesting at least

That description from wwd, makes this issue a must have for me, cant wait to see more of the content.

the editorials look soooooo promising, but that cover is soooooo boring!

I love the cover, mostly because her jawline is perfection and really works in a shot like this.

OMG...what a horrible cover,it looks so fake and unnatural....this is what they got with Mario Testino for their 100th issue? such a disaster and disappointment

You are ABSOLUTELY right!!! This is really bad, Testino always over do it, he always does awful overly retouched works for US Vogue and now he does it to Vogue China! COME ON!!!

Review

"Mario Testino Special"

A Class Act (14p)
Photographer: Mario Testino
Stylist: Anastasia Barbieri
Celeb: Shu Qi

Savage Grace (14p)
Stylist: Carlyne Cerf De Dudzeele
Model: Liu Wen

Portrait of A Lady (16p)
Model(s:( Sui He, Nan Fulong

The Grand Master (12p)
Makeup Artist: James Kaliardos, Chinese opera actors themselves
Model(s:( Tian Yi (w/ Chinese opera actors)

The Winter Queen (13p)
Stylist: Sarajane Hoare
Model(s:( Xiao Wen Ju, Christopher Goh

A Band Apart (7p)
Stylist: Beat Bolliger
Model(s:( Xiao Wen Ju, Tian Yi, Tang Xiao Tian and River Huang

A Creative Class (6p)
* Introducing Chinese young artists, stylists, etc.

View From The Top (12p)
* Testino retrospective.

Dancing With The Stars (15p)
* Parties photos.

thats so cool. i see that they treid their best. Full issue taken by Testino. Shame on you, Russian Vogue. Vogue Russia got a 15 year anniversary issue in september and no event no anniversary mention or special project or cover story...

Preview (sorry for the poor quality :doh:)

A Class Act
Celeb: Shu Qi

snaps by me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back