Vogue China May 2023 : Fanfan by Hailun Ma

DAKAR
Photography:
Nadine Ijewere
Styling: Julia Sarr-Jamois
Hair: Yann Turchi
Make-up: Hiromi Ueda
Models: Ibrahim Kane, Sophia Makibdji, Kathia Ndong, Mame Sane, Mona Tougaard & Anok Yai

Vogue China Digital Edition

I think that the last two eds are commissioned by Anna or (more likely) Edward for their May issues, but because of the whole Met Gala thing and Edward's "ingenious" idea to put the May's limelight on a disabled activists, models and creatives, they postponed it for June. Anyway, the both eds are gonna be "global" (read: in almost every June Vogue), that's for sure.

Btw, the funny thing, in this whole issue - 232 pages digital edition! - there is no a single word about Karl Lagerfeld. Vogue China is gonna go with him in their June issue, probably.

absolutely lovely ads with Anok/Mona and Anok/Ida/vito/Paloma/Nora! the other ones are also great. great edition!

Du Juan' story was clearly more cover worthy. It's a shame Margaret Zhang had her thing with Vogue rules and so on.

what a solid issue! love it!

Du Juan editorial (as OG) is superior indeed and I also like a lot the last two multi girls eds and only wished ‘Rapallo’ had a little more fashion or was longer.
‘Dakar’ has more fashion and reminds me of those location productions done by Carine. it’s so good!

thank you for posting @Zorka

I really thought dakar was a old reprint

^^^ The “Dakar” story is a reprint unless I’m also misremembering. And if I’m not mistaken, this issue features the most selects of Cho Gi Seok’s “Seoul” than any other Vogues. It’s a solid story and deserves the deluxe treatment. The best story is Vivienne Sun’s “Li Jiang”. The openness, the vastness and the expensive moodiness of mountainscapes and rural China plains is beautifully portrayed. Not great, but solid. The golden days of magical on-location shoots by Greats like Peter Lindbergh, Meisel, Arthur Elgort, Meet & Marcus are long gone. And don’t even torture yourself dreaming of Vreeland x Avedon days of on-location shoots… But this issue brings back some sparks of what was once upon a time, Vogue’s strongest component of fashion presentation: Highest of fashion and distant, exotic locales.

Even the weakest link “Rapallo” with its consumer-outlet styling and Paloma, is tolerable in this around-the-world-80-days issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerdays
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->