Vogue China November 2023 : Shalom Harlow by Ned Rogers

Some of my favorite US Vogue editorials from the 90s ('Passion for Pink' and 'Isn't It Romantic?') were modeled by Shalom, so I'm very happy to see her here, though I have to admit that she's being underutilized once again. I haven't seen a good Vogue cover from her this year, and she's totally not the one to blame because her W cover last year was beautiful!

There's a teaser clip that comes along with her cover reveal, and it's obvious that this isn't the best shot from her editorial.

Also, what's with up to that Picsart font, Margaret?

It looks like a jewellery supplement cover but I´m here for Shalom :smile:

She looks beautiful but I agree with everyone else : they could have chosen a more dynamic cover, here it looks like she's waiting for them to get ready so then she can start posing lol.

SHALOM HARLOW
Photography:
Ned Rogers
Styling: Dena Giannini & Alvin Yu
Hair: Evanie Fausto
Make-up: Min Kim
Model: Shalom Harlow

weibo.com; giphy.com

Last edited by a moderator:
See, that's the problem with nostalgia. It appears to be a very tough task for the new generation of creatives to draw out the greatness of supermodels' peak career moments, so everything just seems to fall flat. And it's usually not the models fault, because we all know what they are able to deliver. This story isn't awful, but it doesn't live up to my expectations when I think of Shalom Harlow. Regardless, it's a pleasure to see her.

I also think they should've used the take where she's smiling for the cover, it's a much better image.

wtf....why they always picked the worst pic for the cover...

Quite a hit or miss. The cover is a miss, I do like some of the shots, but really nothing to praise.

The cover looks like a catalogue that you receive in the mail that you didnt ask for. The ed on the other hand is sunning and classic Shalom that I wonder why they opted to give her that flat cover.

In all honesty, I don't mind the sight of this cover whatsoever. Given the current state of affairs, this feels like a win! We've got Shalom Harlow, there's no signs of weird post-production, there's a strong sense of poise and glamour... I honestly cannot fault this.

Solid issue.

Shalom’s cover and story actually pales by comparison to the true darkhorse feature that kicks off the appropriately themed “Legends” issue with— Debra Shaw: In full 20pg glory. Darren McDonald’s “Awaken” is posing alongside grand statues done right— not like the juvenile school project photography-at-the-park nonsense that infested Vogue France; Alex Huanfa Cheng’s “Headed Inland” is solid enough in that romantic-lazy-afternoon-romp-in-a gown sort of easygoing vibe that still looks pro while keeping the mood amateur; Huang Jiaqi’s “After Sunrise” with a male model has that sort of old-skool Corinne Day and Juergen Teller attitude and charm that’s all but missing in the Western Vogues; And the short features of true legends— not hyped ones, with everyone from Armani, Galliano, Devon Aoki, Pat McGrath, Arthur Elgort, Jenny Shimizu, Sam McKnight seamlessly enforces the “Legends” concept. And done right.

The (prerequisite?) Western reprints are what drags an otherwise very good issue down down down. That insufferable Rafael Supers slop is shoehorned in— just ruining the easygoing flow of the issue. Talk about unwanted catalogue...

226pgs.

I just received my physical copy of this issue. It's article-centric which is different from their
past issues this year. There's also an underlying theme of Legends in the main magazine
and Luminaries on the Vogue + supplement as what the cover suggests.

The print version of this month's issue is much better than what they posted online.
They changed the masthead color from pastel blue to grey which complements the
overall mood of Shalom's photo.

This issue has Debra Shaw's whopping 20-pages feature, a 46-pages feature titled Legends with Liu Wen, Ling Tan, Pat Cleveland, Kimora Lee Simmons, and more.

Qun Ye's editorial, titled Awaken, is simple yet gorgeous! They should give her a solo cover next year.

Review:
220 pages / 8 editorials

SHALOM HARLOW
Photography: Ned Rogers
Styling: Dena Giannini & Alvin Yu
Hair: Evanie Fausto
Make-up: Min Kim
Model: Shalom Harlow

DEBRA SHAW
Photography: Pauline Caranton
Styling: Regina Chan and Anita Lau

SUPERSONIC