Vogue Greece April 2019 : Bella Hadid by Txema Yeste

This is stunning! This is how you do it.

I see the references, the symbolism of the angle. Lovely. So much better than her sisters inaugural issue for Vogue HK.

Absolutely gorgeous! Perfectly showing elements of Greek heritage but in a modern way. Bravo Greek Vogue, Fantastic start for a relaunch!

Really nice result. I'm not crazy on how hung up Greek people are with our heritage, but I understand why they wanted to play it up for the debut issue, give it an identity/flavour that's distinctly Greek.

Excited to see Txema's ed in Athens, judging by his Numero work it should be eye-catching at least.

For reference, here's Vogue Hellas' debut cover from March 2000, flying extensions and all.

c7ea3a_b18a8d02a69a4d83a72a96eaf571861c~mv2.webp

elia.org.gr

I'd much rather would have seen Ros Georgiou's glorious face, which would have truly celebrated Greek beauty. Instead it's her again. Known for having bought her 'Greek' profile. Sorry but this is super lazy and unimaginative.

A nice debut for Vogue Greece!
I can’t get enough of the one with the closeup of Bella’s face. :wub:
I truly hope this Vogue edition will last because I see a lot of potential!

I just checked the subscription options and the price tag is hefty 280 euros for 10 issues (one year) to the Europe :blink: Definitely won’t be getting mine, I hope I’ll be able to buy only this issue from somewhere.

Bella looks stunning! This is how you do a debut issue. Vogue HK wishes

Very lazy sorry. ``Let´s put some statues, put some greek cool words and say it´s for Vogue Greece and call it a day!´´ that´s what the team must have felt like and the next cover again: let´s put an influencer and some greek projection on the wall and we will sell.

The many new Vogues worldwide try to emulate what Meisel did with Franca and Vogue Italia but they are worlds away from that. Putting as many times as they want the Jenners or Kardashians or Hadids won´t give them the reputation Vogue as a brand is known for, this type of covers will simply be very forgettable in a few years and the Hadids are plastered in any magazine with just the name of the country changing and then the magazines want US as readers to believe the shoot was made especially for this or that publication LOL NOPE.

Back when models were real respectable high fashion models, for a lack of better titles: REAL supermodels, the shoots were memorable, the poses were special, the photographers and the editors were making sensational stories that only the old ones here remember.

Nowadays it´s no inspiration + a Hadid or a Jenner on any cover + boring stare + dead pose and the kids on social networks feel this is GORGEOUSSS and SO FASHIONABLE lol please... These people won´t even buy the magazine, they will just repost the cover on social media and won´t buy the clothes Vogue try to promote anyways.

And last but not least Anna dares to compare those socialbrats with legendary superstars like Linda Evangelista or Naomi or Natalia or Gisele and so on. Sorry, no matter how many NEW VOGUE (lol hi Edwards) they create, no matter how many influencers will get the cover, Vogue as a brand lost its touch and magic, it´s not the same prestige it used to have and it started when Kate Upton and Kim K got their covers. I´m only entitled to my own opinion but this NEW VOGUE GREECE does not feel more special than Vogue Hong Kong or Vogue Ukraine and so on. Condé Nast does NOT need to create 20000 Vogues, it needs to make sure the quality gets back to where it belongs: to the already existing editions.

Despite this being a very lovely cover (because she is stunning, surgery quibbles aside ) I feel like the industry is not really trying anymore. Getting a Vogue cover used to be one the defining moments of a model's career, and for readers, big anticipation whether you'd see your favourite fronting the month's issue because so many models were at the top of their game and all just as deserving. Now it is more who has gained the most Instagram followers over the last months that determines the honours. The magic of cover reveals has now been lost on me because it has become this dry rotation of the same girls. So many stunning models, female and male in the industry, that could've made this shot gorgeous - it's not just Bella and Gigi out there, Vogue.

Another artsy Vogue... :rolleyes: Is it impossible to ask for a Vogue that's commerical, sexy and stylish?

They tease as one of their inspirations Vogue Portugal. You clearly can see the resemblance: English title; Meisel inspo more like Branislav (the wash off)/more cinematographic vibe; very clean cover

Very lazy sorry. ``Let´s put some statues, put some greek cool words and say it´s for Vogue Greece and call it a day!´´ that´s what the team must have felt like and the next cover again: let´s put an influencer and some greek projection on the wall and we will sell.

The many new Vogues worldwide try to emulate what Meisel did with Franca and Vogue Italia but they are worlds away from that. Putting as many times as they want the Jenners or Kardashians or Hadids won´t give them the reputation Vogue as a brand is known for, this type of covers will simply be very forgettable in a few years and the Hadids are plastered in any magazine with just the name of the country changing and then the magazines want US as readers to believe the shoot was made especially for this or that publication LOL NOPE.

Back when models were real respectable high fashion models, for a lack of better titles: REAL supermodels, the shoots were memorable, the poses were special, the photographers and the editors were making sensational stories that only the old ones here remember.

Nowadays it´s no inspiration + a Hadid or a Jenner on any cover + boring stare + dead pose and the kids on social networks feel this is GORGEOUSSS and SO FASHIONABLE lol please... These people won´t even buy the magazine, they will just repost the cover on social media and won´t buy the clothes Vogue try to promote anyways.

And last but not least Anna dares to compare those socialbrats with legendary superstars like Linda Evangelista or Naomi or Natalia or Gisele and so on. Sorry, no matter how many NEW VOGUE (lol hi Edwards) they create, no matter how many influencers will get the cover, Vogue as a brand lost its touch and magic, it´s not the same prestige it used to have and it started when Kate Upton and Kim K got their covers. I´m only entitled to my own opinion but this NEW VOGUE GREECE does not feel more special than Vogue Hong Kong or Vogue Ukraine and so on. Condé Nast does NOT need to create 20000 Vogues, it needs to make sure the quality gets back to where it belongs: to the already existing editions.

Please, don't be sorry. You are completely right with your point. I do agree a lot with it.
It worries how much Conde Nast is currently thinking about "how many likes they get on publications" because that's what they are turning one of the biggest titles they have into.

And I think inside of it will be: a lot sensational stories, don't know how many thousand pages, images about instakids or stories, don't know how many editorials looking all the same; interviews to celebs/artists, team worried about getting the hottest story on social media in the magazine, using models with no expression what so ever...

Sadly, I don't think Conde Nast is worried about sales but getting more markets for Vogue to compensate for putting 3 of their titles for sale. (if they don't end up putting more...)

Magazine nowadays doesn't sell as it did. A lot of people in this forum still buy them but outside people don't and I do think is a change that came to stay. But yet again, people still buy them, the ones who truly are interested in fashion. I don't know if that would be the best option for how things are going: change and mainly focus on their regular consumer.

Just to finish -- We got exactly what was promised and expected: they didn't do anything different, they just delivered.

Well her face is basically sculptured to what it is now, so it’s only fitting that she’s paired with real sculptures. That’s the only reason I can think of why she is actually paired with those sculptures, because I refuse to believe that the people over at Vogue Greece think Bella is on the same level as those classic beauties from the Hellenistic era.

Is it beautiful, clean and sharp? Yes. Is it creatively interesting? Not really. That said, I understand why they went that route. Still a solid debut. I hope the content is good and looking forward to seeing more innovative content in the future. Plus, I hope to see them celebrate local talent as well in future covers.

At face value it's very understated and classic, and I like the colour palette. Maybe just one statue would have been perfect. And I wish there were more fashion. Something more in the vein of Meisel's current campaign for Chloe.

Not surprised that there's a Greek reference on the cover. God knows the Greek are always so ostentatious with their patriotism and their contribution to the society and culture (much to the Italians indignation, :lol:)

As mentioned before, it is however ironic to emphasize her beauty and profile in such a way, next to statues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eskimogirl1995
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->