Vogue Hommes International: Bruno Danto fired (?)

tombrisbaine

Reaction score
So basically i'm pretty baffled. As of a month ago after premiering the new Fall/Winter issue (which i thought was well received), Bruno Danto, the editor in chief has been let go to be replaced by Carine Roitfeld????

I really like Carine and all but considering he was taking the magazine in a better direction and she already has alot on her plate, what gives?

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this was done? What is Bruno going to do now? I can't find too much information on the Sports&Style magazine he started, is that even still in print??

Further confusion, what exactly is the difference between Vogue Hommes International, L'Uomo Vogue and Men's Vogue.... isn't this a bit redundant on Conde Nast's part? (especially considering they already have GQ in print in various languages).

I actually don't think Bruno Danto was doing a good job. He was replaced by Olivier Lalanne, who is Carine's right-hand man at Vogue. He will be editor and I think Carine will serve as Editorial Director or something. And no it's not redundant to have the three male Vogues. L'Uomo Vogue is published in Italian isn't it? And it's destined for the Italian market. Men's Vogue is distinctly American and marketed to the American mainstream. Vogue Hommes is an international English-language high fashion book. I think they all have their own identities.

Sorry to rain on your parade but let's get a dose of cold reality in here. Sales dropped. So did advertising. The quality of editorial content - texts - was low, which wouldn't have made the Newhouses happy as they're quite intellectual. Oh, and that sports supplement with l'Equipe wasn't Danto's idea. It was an ongoing project before he turned up.

In fact, a lot of the story ideas in the issues he oversaw were old ideas proposed but relegated to a B List somewhere on the magazine's server in the days when VHI still had an editorial and design team. His former boss Richard Buckley described his promotion to the former CEO of FCN of Danto as his replacement as his "revenge" for the cuts the CEO imposed on the title and summed Danto's personal style up as "St Tropez chic".

Whatever anyone thinks of Lalanne, at least the quality of the content is bound to improve because the lad is educated. It will become rather like Numéro Homme, a kind of men-oriented supplement to the main women's title. Meanwhile, rumour has it that FCN plans to launch a French GQ, something that was discussed but dismissed as non-viable in the past. Given the drop in figures for titles in the French men's magazine market, it's quite adventurous of them to do it at this time.

The market is trimming down and bluffers are the first out the door along with titles that just don't work.

PK

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->