Vogue Homme International gets a RE-Vamp...

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
MALE ORDER: An actor on the cover — Vincent Cassel for France and Edward Norton for English-speaking markets — announces a new, broad-screen direction for Vogue Hommes International. The first issue by new editor in chief Bruno Danto, who succeeded Richard Buckley, hits newsstands today with a slew of celebrity portraits (Claire Danes, Liev Schreiber, Christina Ricci), fashion spreads by famous photographers (Bruce Weber, Peter Lindbergh, David Bailey) and confessional articles about former top model Carre Otis and novelist JT Leroy. "We think it will be more appreciated by the general public," Didier Suberbielle, president of Condé Nast France, said of the revamped men's mag. "And there is more fashion." The more inclusive approach is winning advertiser support for the 55,000-circulation title, with revenues for the issue up 5 percent, he said. Danto added the title would be less of an art-culture hybrid and more of a lifestyle book with an accent on glamour, luxury and fantasy. And given its biannual frequency, the focus will be on securing exclusive stories and writers.

from wwd.com
— Miles Socha

Must be better than the rubbish they used to have (I'm thinking of the LA-issue here).

sounds interesting, will pick one up for sure :smile:

got it and found the fashion editorals are not that good, quite disappointed.

anyone read the issue 1 of AnOtherMan? it is much much better, and the cover of Joaquin Phoenix is cool too.

In the space of a year, 2001/2002, or two issues, when Richard Buckley was editor-in-chief, the circulation figures rose by 38% from an already respectable c.40k and the advertising revenue increased by 46%, according to the ad department. So the readership figures have actually fallen in real terms and ad revenue growth is almost flatlining.

The biggest problem French Condé Nast CEO Didier Suberbielle (who 'inherited' the title when he took over as CEO following a rocky time when the company had no CEO for months because nobody wanted the job) had with VHI when Buckley was there was that there were no French people on the creative side. He kept telling us it wasn't French enough. In fact, there were hardly any French employees involved with the title period. Suberbielle wanted the magazine to speak to what he calls "the general public". What he means is that he wanted, in effect, a French-language sub-GQ-style magazine and Buckley refused to give it to him.

On another level, a cynic might think that VHI, as increasingly successful as it was before its gelding, was an embarrassment to the corporate status quo and that it was esssentially, within that framework, a victim of its growing success. The magazine was produced almost entirely by a non-French staff on a shoestring budget and yet was French Condé Nast's most profitable title in real terms. Much of VHI's profit was apparently skimmed off and put into French Vogue's budgets. Here it were making all this money, according to well-placed in-house sources, yet the editorial staff seemed to be spending more and more of their time dealing with unpaid contributors and service providers. In the end, half the editorial staff had to sue the company to get paid.

VHI was an embarrassment because it outshone French Vogue in many ways and people were starting to ask awkward questions about this. So VHI had to reined in. They did this by creating untenable situations for the team producing it. It's simply an example of corporate realpolitik but I hope there is a lesson somewhere in this for those of you aspiring to a fashion media career.

VHI has now been well and truly reined in. The boat is no longer rocking. No more visits from the spooks over articles about terrorism, no more TV and radio denunciations for "revisionist" articles about Leni Riefenstahl, no more complaints about obscenity from Walmart and their Bible-thumping, child-abusing customers over cover stories by Terry Richardson. All nice and middle-of-the-boulevard now! I say all this without any bitterness at all. I had a ball when I was there and, like all things, it came to an end. But it was a salutory lesson, even for this time-served cynic!

PKB)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to edit a couple of typos but there's a time limit.

PK

I know it's been two years since you wrote this ^ but I just read it now, and I thought I'd say thank you for that brilliant inside information. Now it makes more sense to me why it suddenly became so mediocre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->