Vogue Italia July 2022 : Zendaya by Elizaveta Porodina

No, this is not the point, you're projecting my statement. Delaying enlarged exposure is not cancelling somebody or blacklisting, do not twist what I said. I am saying they could've waited, because she has the ability to do so until it would be more appropriate - she had a lot of work as it is, it simply could've happened later. But it does appear strange to see an influx of Russian photographers in international fashion community, while not even just Ukrainian, but overall all Eastern European nations get overlooked.

The photographers that used to shoot for Vogue Ukraine - they get next to zero exposure, and they would benefit from any opportunity given. I am sure any Eastern European knows how it feels, it just especially sensitive to some currently.

Not living in Russia is a strange reason - numerous people do and try to oppose, but they are just not famous, does it make them less worthy than Elizaveta Porodina or whoever else?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I'm certainly not intentionally twisting what you said. If you are merely advocating for Ukrainian photographers to be used more by the fashion/print establishment, that makes total sense to me. But it sounds like you are saying you don't want to see Porodina getting exposure currently because she is Russian. And the only way that would make sense to me is if she were siding with Russia or somehow complicit in what's happening, which she is not. Porodina is a Russian Jew and was herself a refugee when she was a child, fleeing Russia at age 12. That's why I mentioned her not actually living in Russia, lessening any connection one could make between her and what is going on. If you are suggesting someone should not be employed, not because anything they did but because of their national origin, well.... we all have our perspectives. But some would call that unfair, blacklisting, canceling, etc.

Here's a quote from an interview she recently gave to VI:

"No cultural or historical roots, no memories or nostalgic inspiration matter more than the value of life and human dignity: my experience as a Russian Jew, a political refugee fleeing dictatorship since I was a teenager has equally informed - and irreversibly I would add - my worldview. I therefore think it is necessary to take a position regarding what is happening in Ukraine: it is a cynical, relentless, brutal war, and I am angry, disgusted, shocked and saddened by all the lies, propaganda and atrocities committed by Russia - especially by the government. - towards the state and the Ukrainian population. We are witnessing not only a new Russian fascism and a genocide committed against the Ukrainian population (if you are not aware, inquire now by looking for "genocide in Bucha") but a constant attempt to cover it all up with falsehoods and lies.

One of the worst mistakes - crimes - one can commit as citizens and as human beings is to remain indifferent, in silence, to ignore the suffering of Ukraine. We have a moral duty to inform ourselves: thinking that it does not concern us or that a single voice cannot make a difference is out of the question. Russian fascism and war crimes committed against Ukrainians without consequences will affect us all. We must inform ourselves thoroughly, read, take a stand, try in every way to counter these atrocities: each of us can put pressure on our government, help the Ukrainian army, donate to associations that support the pacifist effort."

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I'm certainly not intentionally twisting what you said. If you are merely advocating for Ukrainian photographers to be used more by the fashion/print establishment, that makes total sense to me. But it sounds like you are saying you don't want to see Porodina getting exposure currently because she is Russian.

I get what you mean, but it still misses the detail of my point - not not getting exposure at all, just not at this extent, because fashion should allow someone who lost their jobs to reanimate. You are again bringing up unemployment, but between "unemployed" and "big exposure" there is a vast space of various states. Perhaps it's just the wording of my initial point was a bit too blunt.

Reactions: KoV
Whenever I see this photographers work all I see is a million filters and photoshop. I’m surprised by all her recent exposure. Every shoot looks the same.

Stunning photos. Reminiscent of those legendary couture supplement shoots by Meisel.

I like Zendaya, but I can't get the appearance of Porodina everywhere. I've never liked her work before, because it is too outdated and too derivative of old Roversi, and now it feels like being tone deaf to the environment, especially as a Ukrainian. I mean, exposing a Russian photographer everywhere in the current climate? Could've at least waited until the war ends or something.

Cope.

When someone's work is distinctive, you can soon feel you've seen a lot of it or dismiss it, especially in today's environment, where it's easy to become saturated with imagery.

When the work of Mert & Marcus started appearing in magazines like Pop, I thought their vision was a fantastic alternative universe, but now their style has almost become the norm. Much as I like Erik Madigan Heck's landscape shots, if every issue of UK Bazaar contained several editorials from him, I'd probably stop wanting to open the magazine. Porodina's recent beauty shoot with Abeny was (for me) the highlight of any Vogue it was reprinted in, but if I ever see those images again...

I don't mind the editorial, the images remind me of illustrations, but I still find the cover shot... unsettling. Like a poster for a gaudy psychological thriller involving a dancing girl who needs rescued.

I do like her style. As mentioned above, she's a mix of various photographers, but at the same time brings something new and appealing. This is a brand new era for new talents, as everyone here I read a new artist name in the title of these threads and it's very exciting to see how they work. Kudos to Vogue Italia for this, and can't wait to see Ruven Afanador doing a cover for them. This cover could pass as Couture supplement (post Meisel).

It's all very artificial.
I'd like this better in fact if it were more cartoonish.

Very pleasantly surprised at how much I like this, considering I used to be unable to stand the sight of Zendaya on fashion magazine covers. Also rapidly becoming fond of Elizaveta Porodina's work and loving the Josephine Baker vibes I'm getting here.

However, with Naomi Campbell on Vogue Germany, Karlie Kloss reprinted on Vogue Spain and Zendaya on Vogue Italia... I think we're now starting to see the full impact of Edward Enninful overseeing these European editions of Vogue. All his friends are scoring covers left, right and centre.

People can criticize digital manipulation all they want. It will always be legitimate, and I will always dig this style. personally I would have gone with different colors, but otherwise I really love this style.

I love this type of photography + editing too. The b&w picture is sublime!

The cover story is great, Zendaya can resembles with that photography style.

I can see Vogue Europe happening in a couple of years. Seems it's their goal.

Maybe it's a better solution, a can be distributed in all countries...there is a room to evolve but what they are doing now is sad...

Just saw the VI at the supermarket....terrible sad issue...like one friend told me now Vogue is like Vogue Poor (for the lack of glamour, elegance and style of course)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->