Vogue Italia March 2012 : Joan Smalls by Steven Meisel

it's kind a fabulous issue OMG; these editorials look superb! I'm not a fan of the cover but I love Joan and those edits are super cool so I might end up buying this issue afterwards :wink:)

You can't see that they are mocking these people and trying to make them look like a joke? The pregnant picture is beyond insulting.

And who exactly are you referring to when you say 'these people'?

To me it isn't much of a mockery as much as it's a reality. It's a culture that exists. A reality that I have lived. It's so easy for some people, not all, but some people of privilege to look down upon and feel a feeling of collective guilt and assume that 'oh those people have it so bad'- and guess what, 'they' do.

It's hard to look at isn't it though? I think that's the whole point of showcasing a culture of a lower socio-economic background, to incite feelings of discomfort. The campy feel makes the images a bit easier to swallow though right? After all it is only fashion...right? Just some things to think about.

I know most of us want 'to escape' into glamorous images of these models wearing their Louis in French manors but I do appreciate the editors and Meisel for taking 'it' there.

Oh and by the way, why wasn't there such a commotion going on in the Vogue Italia August 2006 thread? Remember the main editorial was set in a trailer park? One could argue that in that editorial there was another population being mocked. Tbh, there's been numerous trailer park themed fashion editorials and none of those caused controversy. Just wondering about that.

To me it isn't much of a mockery as much as it's a reality. It's a culture that exists. A reality that I have lived. It's so easy for some people, not all, but some people of privilege to look down upon and feel a feeling of collective guilt and assume that 'oh those people have it so bad'- and guess what, 'they' do.

It's hard to look at isn't it though? I think that's the whole point of showcasing a culture of a lower socio-economic background, to incite feelings of discomfort. The campy feel makes the images a bit easier to swallow though right? After all it is only fashion...right? Just some things to think about.

I know most of us want 'to escape' into glamorous images of these models wearing their Louis in French manors but I do appreciate the editors and Meisel for taking 'it' there.

Oh and by the way, why wasn't there such a commotion going on in the Vogue Italia August 2006 thread? Remember the main editorial was set in a trailer park? One could argue that in that editorial there was another population being mocked. Tbh, there's been numerous trailer park themed fashion editorials and none of those caused controversy. Just wondering about that.

1st can I say I love your Location :rofl:
but I have seen that old VI editorial and that story is actually a very different mood and feeling than this one. Trashy looking women made to look like rich women contrasted in a trailer park scenery is not this at all (Completely dark and almost surreal whereas this one is a lazy and cheap attempt on being humorous). If Meisel did a story that wasn't shot in a diner made to look like a supermarket and actually took it to the area where some of this happens or even in an actual grocery store after hours, I would have been more prone to accepting this. It's as if this editorial is saying those who live this life are jokes to society. Just my opinion

but i can't argue that this is a fantastic issue. Kinga's face is divine in that story and it's nice to see Alana :D

Um no. They are clearly mocking "these people" aka economically challenged minorities. If they were just portraying this reality they wouldn't do it in such a blatantly condescending and "humorous" way. Its an obvious caricature that many people use to prejudge and stereotype people of color. It was not handled appropriately, to say the least.

Also, comparing mocking black people and white people of any socioeconomic background is apples to oranges. Being white provides privilege whether you are rich or poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gleaming Mermaid : Astrid Berges-Frisbey by Ellen Von Unwerth

Vogue.it

Astrid by von Unwerth is gorgeous indeed! That would be more fabulous in print, I guess. Thanks for posting!
Also, tbh, I'm usually less interested in Vogue Suggestions and Vogue Close-up than in other fashion stories in VI, but they both are outstading this time.
I haven't seen Karolina by M. Aldridge yet.. Really curious what it looks like.

^The first two shots of Astrid's ed look gorgeous in print but it went downhill for me afterwards. Hadn't realized Karolina's ed hasn't been posted yet; I'll do some snaps and post them in a few minutes.

My favourite editorial by far is the one with KK by Miles Aldridge in the couture suplement. Its one of my favourite works by Miles by far, Im so in love with it, and it pops so much in paper.

Oh my God, Margaret Made's editorial is just a pure perfection!

Karolina's ed is not as exciting as I thought it would be, yet she looks truly gorgeous there. There are lots of good eds in this issue, on the whole.
Thanks so much, Melancholybaby :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->