Vogue Italia May 2023 : Bella Hadid by Carlijn Jacobs

None of them do. Just Anna and Edward. The other (non-licensed) editions have "Head of Editorial Content" or something silly.
Just as I thought it wouldn't get any worse....

What an outdated point of view. All this 'fake' talk is getting so tired. It's not fake, she got her face done and that's her reality now. There's nothing fake about it, it's just a different face. We live in the day and age where something like that is possible, it's a valid option for anyone who feels unhappy with their appearance and has the money to afford it. I never understood why people get so triggered by people who get their faces done, especially celebrities who are literally pressured into perfection by us (the society). People constantly work on their I'm appearance through gyms, men pump their muscles with steroids and what not for quick gains but you'll never hear anything but praise for that. When women work on their appearance through quick cosmetic touch-ups, they're fake. I mean... make it make sense. She's gorgeous, let her live! She certainly wouldn't have had the same levels of success if she didn't get her face done early on. There's a reason people are so obsessed with her nowadays, and it's not her personality.

Anyway, she's gorgeous and this is kind of taking me back to some better times regarding magazines. It's a good cover but I really dislike the editorial, it's all over the place and it makes no sense, the images aren't captivating at all.
What an outdated point of view. All this 'fake' talk is getting so tired. It's not fake, she got her face done and that's her reality now. There's nothing fake about it, it's just a different face. We live in the day and age where something like that is possible, it's a valid option for anyone who feels unhappy with their appearance and has the money to afford it. I never understood why people get so triggered by people who get their faces done, especially celebrities who are literally pressured into perfection by us (the society). People constantly work on their appearance through gyms, men pump their muscles with steroids and what not for quick gains but you'll never hear anything but praise for that. When women work on their appearance through quick cosmetic touch-ups, they're fake. I mean... make it make sense. She's gorgeous, let her live! She certainly wouldn't have had the same levels of success if she didn't get her face done early on. There's a reason people are so obsessed with her nowadays, and it's not her personality.

Anyway, she's gorgeous and this is kind of taking me back to some better times regarding magazines. It's a good cover but I really dislike the editorial, it's all over the place and it makes no sense, the images aren't captivating at all.
There is a world of difference between going to a gym to lose some weight, build up your body etc and slicing and dicing your face, which is what I'm talking about. And I'm sure you know that. Fashion has always been about a fake illusion but there are degrees. And yes there is pressure on celebrities to look beautiful, which is unhealthy, but in her case and well as others, she cut up her face in order to become a celebrity, so it's completely fair game to talk about what she's done, no matter how critically. This is analogous to someone who has starved herself to fit fashion's standard. It is just not something to celebrate even if it's that person's reality so it's not fake, as you like to say. And saying that she wouldn't have the same level of success without her surgery and that's why people are obsessed with it -- that's not proof that it's OK. It's just proof that their self-identity is so warped that they would mutilate themselves to feel worthy. That is the opposite of being healthy.

It took fashion a long time to realize that showcasing nothing but ultra-thin girls was wrong and sending the wrong message. It took society to call out fashion folks to make it happen. Putting girls who have mutilated their faces on the covers of fashion mags and campaigns also sends a wrong message. Fashion already celebrates those who have been very lucky in the genetic lottery, does it also want to celebrate those who try try to remedy not hitting the jackpot by resorting to invasive surgeries? I'm not a fan of Bella Hadid and am not obsessed with her, but I have nothing against her either. I don't know here, never will, but she actually seems very sweet and approachable, but you yourself said people obsess over her looks not her personality, which I interpret to mean her personality really is unimportant, which is rather sad.

Robin Mackintosh, the very first girl that covered VI as we used to know had a nose job. What's the deal with Bella having one? She's a good model, above the Kendalls and Haileys, so I don't see this as a terrible offering.
At least it has the old "Italia" spirit on it. Francesca won't never be Sozzani, in million years, but she brings back elements that were missing during the 2017/21 era.

It took fashion a long time to realize that showcasing nothing but ultra-thin girls was wrong and sending the wrong message. It took society to call out fashion folks to make it happen. Putting girls who have mutilated their faces on the covers of fashion mags and campaigns also sends a wrong message. Fashion already celebrates those who have been very lucky in the genetic lottery, does it also want to celebrate those who try try to remedy not hitting the jackpot by resorting to invasive surgeries? I'm not a fan of Bella Hadid and am not obsessed with her, but I have nothing against her either. I don't know here, never will, but she actually seems very sweet and approachable, but you yourself said people obsess over her looks not her personality, which I interpret to mean her personality really is unimportant, which is rather sad.

I agree with many things you wrote. The fact it took very long to fashion to "realize" there was beauty outside the ultra-skinny standards, and you could add they also realized people of color were beautiful too as it took quite a while as well.

And then Vogue Italia gives us this: they celebrate a young woman whose family was wealthy enough to afford multiple surgery acts and who already had her fair amount of highly coveted work as if there were nobody else worth a cover among today's models. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Bella herself and I actually liked many of her editorials but I'm not pleased with the message behind this cover and story.

Magazines and brands all want to sound open-minded and inclusive and so on, and what does Vogue Italia propose, two months in a row? Rich thin white girls propelled to stardom for rather dubious reasons, mediocre photography and styling with pretetious concepts that fall flat and the list goes on.

I wonder how long this will be acceptable: the future of fashion is truly diverse and it's only a matter of time before young and aware people don't swallow this anymore. How can young women from less privileged countries or from poorer suburbs of western Europe relate to a Bella Hadid or a Kendall Jenner? Are these "models" able to nurture dreams of a brighter future? I agree that fashion has always been unfair but at the same time has often been about fairy tales come true.

the cover is not great.
her expression is more of a dead stare and she looks (?) photoshopped into the background.
the editorial is no better apart from the black and white shot. it’s all random.
where’s the story??
Because she is. The backgrounds were done by "AI artist". The results are hideous.
This new wave of photographers is unable to create a cohesive story. Their eds always look like pinterest boards with random 90's photos they find interesting. Carlijn has potential but her work feels unfinished. The clownish styling doesn't help either.

I would have chosen the second picture where she doesn’t look at the camera. The face she’s giving on the cover is rather overused. I mean… Come on beautiful girl. Emote!

None of them do. Just Anna and Edward. The other (non-licensed) editions have "Head of Editorial Content" or something silly.
The issue is not Edward and Anna per say. The issue is that the people they put in place don’t a vision.
Sharing editorials in a way is not that deep. It’s a business decision.

There’s issue when there’s no vision or cohesion between the issues and covers.

The issue is not Edward and Anna per say. The issue is that the people they put in place don’t a vision.
Sharing editorials in a way is not that deep. It’s a business decision.

There’s issue when there’s no vision or cohesion between the issues and covers.

Oh for sure, sharing editorials is definitely economical. It's not new. For me the issue is, did they purposely place sycophants *without* a vision in those roles or are the new "heads of editorial content" just that inept? I believe the former. What's in it for Anna or Edward to have strong editions of Vogue France, Italia, Germany, etc.? Nothing.

Bad news are these editions loses their national identity. Almost there's no space for that in current Vogue. The one I buy looks so American and out of place here.

My eyes went straight to this issue over the weekend, sat on the shelves of WHSmith looking all glossy and rather striking. You were immediately compelled the pick up a copy and have a quick leaf through. The colours are so vivid on the actual print product and I just love that Giorgio Armani dress (and the whole collection).

Per usual, given Condé Nast’s shared content strategy with the Euro Vogues, the issue failed to offer enough as a whole to warrant a purchase.

I know they thought they were doing something with this cover story, but given that any fool can use AI, what would be innovative right now would be shooting something using existing light and shadow, no tricks, perhaps a return to processing actual film, and everything else that goes along with setting up a shoot where you have to get it right there and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJL
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->