Vogue México October 2010 : Anja Rubik by Marcin Tyszka

My biggest problem with Vogue Mexico is that is a mexican magazine trying to pass as a regional one, they just stamp "Latin America" on the cover. I relate to it the same as I relate to any other Vogue... I mean, in Mexico is not even the same season as the rest of Latin America! I think it´s hard for them to establish their identity because of this, it´s safer for them to use international models that could appeal to an entire region than to use local models/celebs that could hold no interest outside Mexico or viceversa. In order to develop an identity they should stop selling their magazine to the region and focus on it´s own country. I as an argentine woman can barely relate to -say- a venezuelan one.
But I buy Vogue Mexico to get a glimpse of trends and editorial work that´s different from my country, to get to see reprints of magazines that I can´t get here. And for that is a great alternative, I´m glad they use international models that will never appear on my country´s local mags.

For a taste of my own reality -fashion wise- I get Elle :smile:

*edit* I have no idea who Pati Navidad is! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Cris, I don't think we got the 'wrong idea', why would you actually think a celebrity in Mexico or Latin America has to equal Paty Navidad (or even Belinda).. that's like expecting Luciana Salazar on the cover of the Latin American region. If you're going by typically Vogue standards of selection, you can actually find plenty of actors that are talented, into fashion (especially local/'indie' fashion, which is would benefit designers), good-looking and with a bit of class, there aren't just stripper-looking girls that pretend to sing, you know..

^ Okay, So lets say Vogue Mexico features all these celebrities you say that are into fashion and talented... it will attract more readers and a bigger public. More things will also have to change... like the content. From the only issue that I own, Vogue Mexico looks like the type of magazine a stuck-up rich girl from Las Lomas would read, a girl who has everything and shops at El Palacio de Hierro and Presidente Masaryk or to that reader who can't afford a single thing featured in the magazine. Vogue, and I mean Vogue as in what Vogue is about (not just the French nor American version), its about luxury, glamour and expensive clothes that the average person can't afford, thats the Vogue DNA and its in every version of Vogue. Which means that not many people will buy this magazine because of its ridiculous content and if the concent was changed into real things most Mexicans can buy than it would not be a real Vogue magazine. I dont want to be sterotypical but most Mexicans do not give a hoot about fashion or aware about it.

My biggest problem with Vogue Mexico is that is a mexican magazine trying to pass as a regional one, they just stamp "Latin America" on the cover. I relate to it the same as I relate to any other Vogue... I mean, in Mexico is not even the same season as the rest of Latin America! I think it´s hard for them to establish their identity because of this, it´s safer for them to use international models that could appeal to an entire region than to use local models/celebs that could hold no interest outside Mexico or viceversa. In order to develop an identity they should stop selling their magazine to the region and focus on it´s own country. I as an argentine woman can barely relate to -say- a venezuelan one.
My biggest problem with Vogue México is that it is NOT a Mexican magazine, it's a magazine that's produced in Miami, by Miami-based people with a mainstream understanding of Mexican culture.. and my problem within that problem is that US-based Spanish speakers are convinced their picture of the region is intact and accurate just because they can still articulate the language and it isn't, it's a region that keeps changing drastically even in the span of 5 or 8 years or a single financial collapse, spending your childhood in a place or seeing it through television isn't enough to capture the attention of those that live there, let alone speak to them in a way that like I said, it's realistic.
And I guess the problem isn't just in the US, there's also a clear lack of communication among Latin Americans that actually were born and live in Latin America.. I mean, in one hand there's you saying you could barely relate to Venezuelan women and I'm sure a Venezuelan woman would say she can barely relate to a Chilean one.. well.. I think similarities between modern Latin American women and the concerns they face as well as their understanding of fashion certainly outweigh minor cultural/weather differences by a long distance.. but we can't tell because there aren't enough publications that want to play the 'bridge' on that and instead we have channels that promote the differences for no good purpose other than their own interests.

Back on cover choices, I honestly would not mind seeing someone I don't know on the cover regardless of her nationality, that even happens in other Vogues.. you get an unknown celebrity.. good-looking, decent sense of fashion, well-reviewed movie coming out.. who cares if you don't know her, the point is that you will. :lol:

^ Okay, So lets say Vogue Mexico features all these celebrities you say that are into fashion and talented... it will attract more readers and a bigger public. More things will also have to change... like the content. From the only issue that I own, Vogue Mexico looks like the type of magazine a stuck-up rich girl from Las Lomas would read, a girl who has everything and shops at El Palacio de Hierro and Presidente Masaryk or to that reader who can't afford a single thing featured in the magazine. Vogue, and I mean Vogue as in what Vogue is about (not just the French nor American version), its about luxury, glamour and expensive clothes that the average person can't afford, thats the Vogue DNA and its in every version of Vogue. Which means that not many people will buy this magazine because of its ridiculous content and if the concent was changed into real things most Mexicans can buy than it would not be a real Vogue magazine. I dont want to be sterotypical but most Mexicans do not give a hoot about fashion or aware about it.
Yes, Vogue is all that but it's also the same magazine that in its original edition (US Vogue) promotes Phillip Lim and Alexander Wang.. what do these girls you think you know buy? they go to Miami, buy Cavalli, Furla, Escada and attend private Chanel showrooms in Mexico City where seasons-old Chanel is presented.. that's your 'Vogue' split in two, Vogue Mexico only speaks to the latter and THERE IS a consumer in Mexico that buys Lim and even Margiela, which Vogue Mexico is not representing or even trying to capitalise on (guess it's not too popular back in Miami) and which other magazines, such as Celeste, have surfaced for.

I don't know what does the average Mexican has to do with the rest of your post, sorry.. I don't think we can talk Vogue and talk average at the same time, for the same reasons of exclusivity you mention, let's just understand that exclusivity isn't just one sector anymore, Cris.. it isn't just Lomas or what you see in soap operas in Chicago, exclusivity is chased and accessible for young people.. from Col. Roma all the way to Monterrey..

Bad and such a copy cat

I quite dislike the styling of the cover.

Her smile looks very forced. That's what ruins it for me.

But I buy Vogue Mexico to get a glimpse of trends and editorial work that´s different from my country, to get to see reprints of magazines that I can´t get here. And for that is a great alternative, I´m glad they use international models that will never appear on my country´s local mags.

Totally agree. I live in Argentina as well, and it's really hard to find good fashion magazines at a reasonable prize, so I find it convenient that Vogue Latinoamerica repreints some eds and has actual fashion models on their covers.-

I like the cover... its so pretty and youthful feeling. Although the similarities of the two different editions of Vogue are uncanny....

HQ

29956-800w.jpg

models.com

My review from the latin issue:

-Anja

-Constance. Reprint from Vogue Paris?

-Egle.

-Jessica Hart

-Misc from the beauty supplement

my caps

all reprints from US Vogue
(sister-d @ celebritycity.com/bwgreyscale.com)

-Karlie

-Sasha + others

-Kristen

^the first 5 thumbnails contain images scanned by me.

Had there not been a Spanish Vogue cover exactly like this Vogue cover, I would say that this cover is incredibly cute and presh.

My review from the latin issue:
-Constance. Reprint from Vogue Paris?

^Vogue Paris June/July.

From the supplement:

Cover: Tiiu Kiuk by Saran Silver

Eds:

"Fiebre en Rosa"
Model: Tiiu Kiuk
Photographer: Sarah Silver
Styling: Sarah Gore-Reeves

"The Golden Girl" (reprint from Allure March 2010?)
Model: Amber Valletta
Photographer: Michael Thompson

And the main issue of Mexico is the same content of Latin America's one.

^Thanks :smile:
Forgot to add:

-Gwyneth

sister-d @ bwgreyscale.com

LA MUSA DEL OTOÑO
Ph: Marcin Tyszka

Scanned by me:smile:

I just bought it.it's gorgeous in real life .and as kokobombon just said I bought it manly for the reprints.

Another shot from Anja's edit, should of been used on the cover. It would of seperated it from Vogue Espana March 2010.
The shot wearing the MaxMara coat is gorgeous. Although I don't think there's that many good shots.

Looks like a great issue! Thanks for the scans!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->