Vogue Mexico & Latin America August 2017 : Carolyn Murphy & Andreea Diaconu

I never understand the casting choices for vogue mexico/Latinoamérica. Those countries are made up of indigenous/black/and European immigrants yet looking at these magazines, it makes u think only Germans live in these countries.

Does anyone know why they go about this? It's a bit confusing.

I never understand the casting choices for vogue mexico/Latinoamérica. Those countries are made up of indigenous/black/and European immigrants yet looking at these magazines, it makes u think only Germans live in these countries.

Does anyone know why they go about this? It's a bit confusing.

They've actually had a bit of a banner year last year, lots of afro-latinas or girls resembling them. Certainly much more than there was under the previous EIC.

They've actually had a bit of a banner year last year, lots of afro-latinas or girls resembling them. Certainly much more than there was under the previous EIC.

You're right, I've noticed they started using black Latinas. Strange that they don't use brown/indigenous ones. I don't think I've ever seen one on Vogue Mexico's cover, unless I'm wrong

Actually it's one of a few mags that represents diversity (beautiful covers with Ysaunny, Cora, Joan, Adwoa, Luisana, Dilone... and they putted an asian girl, Issa, three years ago) But yeah, they only focus on caribbean girls and not the rest of the countries. I'm waiting to see Mica on the cover, it's crazy that she doesn't have a cover yet. And apart of this, I'm tired of multicovers by country, also they don't published all the eds (and all of them are cutted). A cover with Carolyn it's one of those that I ever wanted (models are like Pokemons, you want them all!). I don't know what they want to do, but it's unfair for the latin readers. Andreea's cover looks odd, and I love her, but it's really odd! Her previous one (september 2016) was a breath of fresh air, this one looks weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad issue. Lauren de Graaf is giving me major young Angela Lindvall vibes in her editorial. Beautiful :heart:

Not a bad issue. Lauren de Graaf is giving me major young Angela Lindvall vibes in her editorial. Beautiful :heart:

I love her! She's so underrated. I expect to see her on the cover.

i think s mix would work...and i guess that's the intention of Karla Martinez....wouldn't be boring only see latinas just because it's a latin region....but this year was great about diversity on this magazine.

but they need a new fashion director...Valentina Collado's work is stale...

I think this magazine should have three different versions: one for Mexico (North), one for Central America and one more for South America. We are in the opposite season, and we have smaller brands, an emerging economy and different population and culture. They are covering a continent like we are the same, but we are not. That's my point of view.

I mean a lot of it has to do with racism within Latin American societies, where darker skin colours are associated with a lower socio-economic status. I think it also has to do with the fact that indigenous looking women are usually on the shorter side, the average height for women in Mexico is 5 feet 2 in. Caribbean girls are usually both taller and slimmer and it's only logical that modelling agencies are more interested in them. Vogue Mexico/Latam is much like Vogue Japan, they're more interested in having name models than representing local beauty.

On another note...this issue was looking very expensive until I looked at page 1 and saw Juanpa Zurita, Vogue Mexico has many thing to learn from international magazines but a fixation with Insta-personalities is not one of them. Also Mariana will appear in this magazine more often since she's not actually an in demand model, unlike Issa who's still booking quite a lot of work in more prestigious publications.

I think this magazine should have three different versions: one for Mexico (North), one for Central America and one more for South America. We are in the opposite season, and we have smaller brands, an emerging economy and different population and culture. They are covering a continent like we are the same, but we are not. That's my point of view.

This is what always intrigued me. I though language should be enough to tie the readers together, but when you break it down like this it does make a lot more sense. How wise is it to promote a small Argentine brand when you have readers who are for instance in Venezuela? Argentina and I think Chile (two neighbouring countries) have their own Harper's Bazaar editions, which proves that there must be some form of commerce going on there. An issue solely dedicated (or at least tailored) to that region could work imo.

Also, I should think that the readers of this edition would still want to see women who actually reflect them (like Juliana Awada), or have their culture showcased more often in the magazine.

This is what always intrigued me. I though language should be enough to tie the readers together, but when you break it down like this it does make a lot more sense.

Thanks Benn! Two things: I think that Vogue Latin America stopped selling in Venezuela some time ago; on the cover they don't publish the price of that country anymore. And second, since June, in Argentina, the local edition of Harper's Bazaar publishes only reprints of the Mexican version because the editorial (Atlantida SA) fired all the team. The only one that continues to publish local content is ELLE. In most of their covers they use models from our country, also from Chile and Uruguay. In the other hand, Juliana's Vogue cover (wich personaly I liked) was polemic. We have the same political division that USA has right now, we call that 'La Grieta' (The Crack). Some people disliked that cover because they hate the new president. It's very complicated (and sad) :flower:

I think that Vogue Latin America stopped selling in Venezuela some time ago; on the cover they don't publish the price of that country anymore.

Not the case. The magazine is still available here (Hi, from Venezuela!) every month, you can find it on the same spots that have always carried it (Kiosks, bookshops, pharmacies...).

The last issue with the price printed on the cover was November 2016. They now just put it on a sticker... The thing is, because our economic crisis and -ever growing- inflation the magazine comes with a higher price every month, literally!

Not the case. The magazine is still available here (Hi, from Venezuela!) every month, you can find it on the same spots that have always carried it (Kiosks, bookshops, pharmacies...).

The last issue with the price printed on the cover was November 2016. They now just put it on a sticker... The thing is, because our economic crisis and -ever growing- inflation the magazine comes with a higher price every month, literally!

Thank you! I'm very worried about Venezuela. I love your country. I hope the best for your people. We have the same problems with the local magazines in Argentina (but not in that extreme way). In the case of Vogue, this magazine only increased twice in the last year (and still has a low price). The most expensive is ELLE, which went from $ 46 to $ 75 in 2016, and Vogue from $ 55 to $ 60. Producing local content is very expensive. Bazaar was a victim of this crisis.

^ Thank you so much, i do hope we can pass this dark phase soon.

The irony of this, is that with his new strategy they have been featuring venezuelan designer every month (+ one stylist). Being the creative director of my own handbags line, it feels amazing to know they are supporting people that i look up to.

The magazine increased 5 time their price this year alone (2017). Jan-Feb (2500Bs), March (4300Bs), April (7000Bs), May-Jun (7500Bs), July (10500Bs), August (11000Bs).

So, even if you are not familiar with the local economy. You can see that actual price is 4 times januarys. It is not their fault, and im happy that they manage the situation so we can still find it here.

The magazine increased 5 time their price this year alone (2017). Jan-Feb (2500Bs), March (4300Bs), April (7000Bs), May-Jun (7500Bs), July (10500Bs), August (11000Bs).

So, even if you are not familiar with the local economy. You can see that actual price is 4 times januarys. It is not their fault, and im happy that they manage the situation so we can still find it here.

Thanks for your response. Hope they can still publishing Vogue there, and also I expect to see a venezuelan beauty on the cover! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->