Vogue Philippines June 2023 : Bretman Rock by Regine David

crmsn

Reaction score
VPH_0623_COVERPRIDE_DIGITAL2-960x1200.jpg

vogue.ph

Last edited:
It's nice to see magazines like Vogue Philippines celebrate the Pride month despite the country's poor treatment to the LGBTQ+ people, as they are, until now, just being tolerated and not fully accepted by the bigger community. I'm happy that even just for this month, I get to delve into the lives of Bethany Talbot, Jari Jones, The Golden Gays, etc. since the first (and the last) time I purchased a magazine that thoroughly focuses on the LGBTQ+ community from the cover up until its very last page was in 2017 when Patrick Starrr fronted Team Magazine's final issue (that includes paper dolls starring Sasha Velour's rose petal performance on Drag Race 9 and the celebrated Filipina superhero, Darna).

Going back, I think Bretman Rock is a safe choice for a cover star. He's popular; of course he'll attract more readers to this magazine. But I'll still give it a pass because Vogue Philippines don't usually feature popular celebrities on its covers. I think Bretman and H.E.R. are the only well-known people who have graced Vogue's covers this year, although Apo is a legendary figure in our country's culture, beauty, and arts, too.

I looked through the digital version of this issue, and I think that in a fashion standpoint, they could have done a lot better. One cover editorial, one beauty editorial, and what seems like a reprint from another Vogue edition feel like a waste of $10.00. I am also not a fan of their sudden change of cover layout after months of sticking to what makes them different from other editions, layout-wise. But still, kudos to the marvelous Pam Quinones and her team for this wonderful theme. I guess Bea, too, but I think she's very busy redefining sustainability and ethics through her jewelry designs and blocking random people on Instagram right now from what I've heard. :handovermouth:

Photographs by Regine David, Fashion Director Pam Quiñones, Styling by Brian Meller, Makeup: Anthea Bueno, Robbie Piñera. Hair: Mong Amado. Art Director: Jann Pascua. Production Design: Justine Arcega-Bumanlag. Producer: Anz Hizon. Movement Director: Madge Reyes. Production Assistants: Bianca Zaragoza, Patricia Co, Pilar Recto. Photographer’s Assistants: Choi Narciso, David Ong, Sela Gonzales. Stylist’s Assistants: Anna Huger, Renee De Guzman, Ticia Almazan, Adam Pereyra, Neil De Guzman. Production Designer Assistants: Geber Cunanan, Jan Abal, John Amon, Jonel Navarro, Olderico Bondoc. Shot on location at the Province of Siquijor and Coco Grove Beach Resort. Special thanks to Dru Sansenbach, Gov. Jake Villa, and Siquijor Tourism

IMG_8430.jpeg IMG_8431.jpeg IMG_8439.jpeg IMG_8432.jpeg IMG_8433.jpeg IMG_8434.jpeg IMG_8435.jpeg IMG_8436.jpeg IMG_8437.jpeg IMG_8438.jpeg IMG_8440.jpeg IMG_8441.jpeg IMG_8442.jpeg IMG_8443.jpeg IMG_8444.jpeg IMG_8445.jpeg

vogue.ph

Last edited:
It’s a weird feeling to have vague awareness of a Vogue cover star because of a poorly done imitation of them during the Snatch Game on RuPaul’s Drag Race.

“Is fashion a safe space?”

Sometimes, when I read nonsense like this in fashion magazines I just think of Karl saying something to the effect of: “If you want social justice, be a civil servant. Fashion is dangerous, ephemeral, and unfair.” in Lagerfeld Confidential.

And their art direction is sooo boring. The layouts, the fonts. There is no excitement, not much creativity. While other editions, like Vogue Brasil and Korea, have established their identity partly through their layouts, here is Vogue PH having a layout that can be seen on other editions. But I get it, they don't have that kind of a budget on editorials, I wouldn't expect them to invest on creating a visual identity.

a feature on fil-am chris olsen but none for the local drag scene which is flourishing right now?

a feature on fil-am chris olsen but none for the local drag scene which is flourishing right now?

Exactly. I was expecting to see Marina Summers or The Divine Divas in this issue, but I maybe by being Meghan Trainor's best friend, Chris warrants a feature more than those trailblazers.

One more thing: I LOVE that they used green on Bretman's cover story. Green-blooded is a slur in the Philippines against gays and male-to-female transgender people.
I'm happy that they reversed the stigma as they celebrate celebrate green as a principal part of the pride flag.

They should have used the outdoor shots as the cover. Missed opportunity.

This Harry Styles vibe for the cover is not working.

Exactly. I was expecting to see Marina Summers or The Divine Divas in this issue, but I maybe by being Meghan Trainor's best friend, Chris warrants a feature more than those trailblazers.

I only know him as that person who appears in meghan trainor's tiktoks¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
There are a bunch of other local topics out there that they can explore like our trans healers/deities during the pre-colonial period or our local street games like chinese garter where gay kids excel at. Vogue PH never beating the "diaspora magazine" allegations.

One more thing: I LOVE that they used green on Bretman's cover story. Green-blooded is a slur in the Philippines against gays and male-to-female transgender people.
I'm happy that they reversed the stigma as they celebrate celebrate green as a principal part of the pride flag.

Oohh the "dugong berde" and "sabi ko na barbie" giving me war flashbacks

I LOVE THIS wowwwwwwww so STRONG !!!
The cover is fun and fresh and cool.
The edit is BRILLIANT !!!
Stylist should get an award just for that spread.
CONGRATS!

I found beautiful, despite that i hate this influencers covers.
He is philipino? So it makes totally sense this time

A Youtuber that's about as relevant as the 'beauty industry' on Youtube, something that trended 5 years ago? These people are simply no longer on people's radar as much as they used to be. Same applies to Bretman's peers James Charles, Nikita Dragun, Jeffree Star etc. A Vogue cover, regardless of country, is still suppose to court international buyers. And if it's a local subject, they must be top tier. It's the reason why UK Vogue won't give a cover to Holly Willoughby even though she'd sell tons.

This magazine moves like an Elle or Harper's Bazaar global edition - the ones who often compromise the prestige associated with the title in favour of reflecting their country.

It's an ok cover and editorial, very Vogue Singapore. But this shot? LOL

img_8434-jpeg.1231099

Credit: @romervogue

I think this is beautiful! Bretman looks lovely :redheart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foussman
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"