Vogue Portugal July/August 2020 : The Madness Issue

tumblr_n4xuz45FhH1rlb6iho1_400.gif

I feel like the biggest hypocrite for disapproving of these covers (or this edition in general). They constantly try to think outside the box and push intriguing and interesting concepts months after months but they just desperately fail time after time and it's starting to become rather funny! I can't fully understand whose fault it is exactly that they're doing so bad.
The first cover theme is fantastic. Girl, Interrupted vibes for sure! Marry The Night as well. And of course, there's the legendary Super Mods Enter Rehab story from 2007. But neither one of those looked as desperate and literal. Hell, Marry The Night MV had more fashion sense than this nonsense of a cover. When Steven Meisel shot Denisa Dvorakova in a bath tub (following a story set in mental insitution, obviously the same theme VP used here) for the cover of Vogue Italia, it wasn't brilliant simply because it was touched by Meisel. It was brilliant because it was a strong and obvious theme done in a way so subtle that fashion still came first. Some would say that's ''glamorising'' mental illness or some other stupid excuse that clueless, regular people come up with for bashing artistic expression through the medium of fashion photography. But in my opinion, that's rubbish. As is this cover! I love fashion editorials that tell us a story or touch on dark and serious matters such as mental health. The theme is great. But the execution... is just not. It goes to show that decent outcomes clearly do require a decent team. This photograph belongs in an exhibition or an art publication, because nothing about this has the fashion quality. After all, Vogue is a fashion magazine. Clearly, noone in the team responsible for this cover got the memo. Didn't Alessandro show a dozen of white looks inspired by mental institution uniforms for Gucci recently? It might not be 'in-season' right now, but it would've been a nice touch that could've elevated this fashion cover. But even with that, cover image choice would still be a choice.

That being said, the second cover is just awful. At least she's dressed, but come on! This image? On a Vogue cover? A proper young person who posts on Instagram wouldn't even use this a post. It's not even worthy of being posted on the Stories! It's ugly. The concept of a fake beach and all that - it's interesting. Again, the execution is horrible. The girl with the mask in the corner is unnecessary, she should've been cropped out. The styling is horrible. It just makes no sense, none of it makes sense. It's another photograph that doesn't belong inside of a fashion magazine. Art publication? Sure, why not. But not here. I hate it even more than the first one.
With the third cover, we're finally getting somewhere but the fact that we needed to go through two hideous covers just to get to a decent one kills the impact. Can't even remember the last time a magazine published one single cover (that was good). Isn't that the whole point of editing something? I'd understand it if there were advertisers on each cover paying for their clothes to show, but who backed that first cover? Briarcliff Manor? Please! You'd think with the COVID situation, they'd finally understand and tone it down a little, save some material... but nope. Anyway, it's a very nice image. Finally, we have a nice designer dress. Marjan looks great (reminded me of Karen Elson at first)! It's intriguing, with all those people under her skirt. It has all the right elements and it's definitely the winner here, but I would still never use it as a cover image. It wouldn't feel out of place inside Vogue Italia's old Couture supplements. Inside being the key word.
As for the fourth and final image, I think it's brilliant. My favorite, for sure. Again, not really fashion or cover worthy, but it's a very bold, striking image that I wouldn't mind hanging in my home. I would even go further, having blood pour down the dress and over the hands to make the image even more 'gory' and unsettling. But.. what's the use when, again, this image doesn't really belong on the cover of Vogue! I would really like to know how these new Editors' minds work and why they think these are good ideas and even more, why do people on social media seem to support the most mediocre and borderline stupid ideas (@ Edward's landscapes). I don't get it... I simply don't.

Vogue Portugal under fire for mental health cover in 'very bad taste'

I'm trying really really hard to be offended by the first cover. Nope... it's just not happening.

Of course the idiots would accuse them of 'glamorising' mental illness, lol. The stupidity of the people never ceases to amaze me!
It's artistic expression, if you don't understand/can't bother trying to understand it do not and I repeat do f*cking not turn it into something it isn't. Some opinions just don't have to be heard.

That being said, how is this particular cover 'glamorising' anything? There's not an ounce of glamour in it, it's like the most literal depiction of a mental institution. It's not like they're wearing Cavalli gowns (which would've been a better cover, js). All these snowflakes need to get over themselves. If they feel the need to criticize fashion publications today, go drag Edward. He glamorised goat feces and cement, now that's offensive! This here? Unless we're being offended by the lack of fashion, glamour, beauty and direction, it's not.

Glamorizing? These women are not in next season Calvin Klein and custom Giuseppe Zanotti heels. Their gauze caps are not tipped to the side like Parisian berets. And as far as I can tell, the nurse on the right doesn’t have a great ***.

Clinical psychologist Dr Katerina Alexandraki said: “Promoting the aesthetics of mental health is very problematic. It’s never a fashion, that is so invalidating. Not to mention the history of women and mental illness. There are hundreds of stories of abuse where women are at their most vulnerable.”

That's the only thing relevant in the article.

It's admirable that they're shining a light on important issues of today through visual storytelling. It may not be my particular taste, but I respect it!
I am so glad they didn't apologise for someone's clueless butthurt feelings. Anyone who actually cared about the 'history with women and mental illness' would use this opportunity to further discuss the importance and relevance of mental health instead of writing ignorant, dramatic articles discussing how inappropriate this is. What's inappropriate is everyone being so damn offended by this portrayal of mental illness that they're ignoring the fact that it can, in fact, look exactly like this. No designer clothes, no luxury. Just imagine the scandal and outrage if all this wokeness was present back in 2007 when Meisel did it the proper fashion way. God, I hate people!

I’m so freakin tired of having to constantly process, have dialogues and “shine lights” on everyone’s f*cking neuroses....

It’s kind of disturbing actually how people now just absolutely live for flaunting their misery and their dysfunction, like it’s a badge of honor to be an absolutely hopeless person. And it especially drives me crazy how everyone acts like all these issues are “stigmatized.” Are you kidding me? All we do anymore in our culture is talk about is “normalizing” everything....what’s stigmatized anymore? Lol

I like when fashion was aspirational. I liked when movies were aspirational. I liked when music was. And art. And everything. Now everything is a freakin’ therapy session for egomaniac adult-babies.

Last edited:
Makes one wonder if Franca's vision would have survived today's culture.

God no, lol People today don't deserve her genius. Everyone is far too sensitive and obnoxious to appreciate what she had to offer.

Finally their obnoxious edgyness bit them in the ***!

I must say though, the heart cover is actually very pleasant looking. My goth teen self would be head over heels crazy for it.

Tbh I could only wish that the first issue gave off Girl Interrupted vibes — that film had better fashion! And was a more accurate representation of mental illness, if that's what they were aiming for. All the other ones are great as usual but I'm getting tired of artsy editorial shots being used as covers in fashion mags. Just because it is a good photo, doesn't mean it has to be blasted as a cover.

God no, lol People today don't deserve her genius. Everyone is far too sensitive and obnoxious to appreciate what she had to offer.
amen, the world has come to a scary point where people get offended just by a pure fact you opened your mouth, they will chase you, they will spread hatred and bring in more angry people who will chase you too until they make sure they break you. With current tendencies don't expect any creativity, it requires freedom and it's been long gone from the fashion world. I am scared to say it, but it's a new form of fascism to shut people down and control what they say by beating them up with extreme level of hatred.

Having said that, I don't like the cover, it's been done before, and it's been done better. But in all honesty I don't see how it is offensive. I have had my fair share of issues with mental health, like depression, anxiety, etc, but I really struggle to see how this is offensive. Fashion and art in general get inspiration from everything, and it's not always pretty topics, and it is not always for the purpose of glamorizing it, it's just a form of expression, and if anything, I think mental health requires more attention from the public, so I can not see any problem with it.

Did Sara grow up in America? Her accent sounds VERY American.

Maybe they were better off just doing some sort of reimagining of a film about mania instead of this. Something generic that everyone would know like Girl Interrupted or Psycho? The timing is just off. Though my main issue with the covers is still that it's just really terribly executed, one can't deny that right now, mental health is a much-discussed topic and a lot of people are going through it especially during this pandemic. So I can understand why people are so sensitive about these covers.

And yes, there may be no luxury brands shown, but it is still glamorisation by default of it being on the cover of Vogue (a brand associated with glamour, luxury, etc). Will people be as chilled when they do a cover about r*pe or domestic violence?

The real issue here is that Vogue Portugal, Farneti, and all these other random Euro Vogues think they are art magazines, the type of magazines who would have the license to tackle issues like these. That's why there are no luxury brands displayed in the set up. One month they want to get praised by the eco warrior community, the next by mental health activists, and I'm sure a BLM cover is coming soon. How about just do fashion right for starters, you know, the industry that pays your bills!

They’ve decided to pull out the first cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->