Vogue Russia April 2020 : Natasha Poly by Claudia Knoepfel

Too zoomed out for my liking. Otherwise, a beautiful photograph, reminds me how much I liked Natasha some 5-6 years ago.

A bit on the drab and forgettable side for me. It seems the people working at these top editions don't really care about what makes a proper cover image. It's not only zoomed out, but the art direction looks like an afterthought, and I don't get the styling. To think that both the photographer and editor actually pushed this forward as a cover image to me is laughable.

Hi dear Vogue!
Hmm...minimalism does not always mean elegance.Her hair looks messy and this dress looks like a grandmother curtain from mosquitoes & we all know how uncomfortable such heavy, rough boots are in warm weather.The cover Vogue has always been a window into a beautiful fairy tale; now it’s just a window onto a provincial street...
:angel:

Vogue Russia is in crisis mode again? Masha doesn’t know which direction to take, she is still with pretty much same team than during Victoria times, she tried, they tried to play safe but remain on the same positions. Natasha poly on the cover (whom was 3 times per year while Victoria was in the chair) just screams about this. Irina - Natasha poly- vodianova - that Russian vogue combo. All this I as forgettable as vogue Greece or vogue Korea.

Was so excited to see Natasha, but this cover is dreadful! The boots are the biggest eyesore, I can't even... such a shame.

I feel like I've seen this before - and the only thing missing is a baby.

Bring the glamour back.

^ her kids are on supplement cover with her

^ her kids are on supplement cover with her

LOL. You can't make it up. Of course now that Tigerrouge mentioned the child it took me back to her VP cover.

@Alien Sex Friend I'm not sure what made her change guard. Up until December 2019 they had a definable identity and style, despite using a Harper's Bazaar photographer shooting main content. Ok, it wasn't the best thing since sliced bread, but it made the magazine as a whole readable and to a certain extent prestige. And then suddenly this. Maybe their sales are taking a bit of a dip, that's almost always the only reason why magazines change direction nowadays.

I was excited when I saw the title then I opened the thread... Why? Why are they doing something like this in 2020?

Dz4ECyK7_o.gif

giphy

^^^ 2020 is precisely the reason why fashion photography/designers/models/creative & art direction is so subpar… I guess because of “diversity and inclusivity”— which apparently means a lack of skills/talent/high standards. It’s frightening to think how the industry has let standards sink to an all unreachable bottom all in the name of “progress”.

Natasha looks like she’s wrapped in the seamless that’s she’s photographed against— before makeup and hair. This is a test shot photo. But I guess it’s that “female gaze” that's the more important gimmick than actual quality work. Yay.

^^^ 2020 is precisely the reason why fashion photography/designers/models/creative & art direction is so subpar… I guess because of “diversity and inclusivity”— which apparently means a lack of skills/talent/high standards.

Another rant to read, but I cannot stay silent:

I am by no means against diversity and inclusivity, but in today's world, especially in fashion, it seems that the idea that you have to squeeze in a person of every colour, a person of every gender possible, some person who has anything to say about their struggles, some feminist opinion, and etc.. The problem is not the willing to push the progress, but it is the approach - every person in the field except very-very limited bunch of people (Hermes, for example) do it correctly:
Is it a good idea to bring African designers to the world? Yes.
Is it good to bring them just for the sake of the trend, popularity, Instaculture, without any narrative and proper brand/recognition progression, most of all, talent? No.
Do we love equality for all genders and sexual orientations? Yes.
Is it good to bring it up by smooshing some of it in our faces by, let's say, doing 3 Vogue Italia covers with couple kissing? No.
Was it good when Franca and Meisel did it by tasteful crossdressing with Karen Elson & co, at least once? Yes.

What people in fashion forget is that they are taste makers, creativity promoters, dream masters, luxury and art connoisseurs. There is a very fine line in communication of sensitive topics, taste, art, pretentiousness and all the other notions that fashion mixes up currently, and they fail to maintain the balance of that line. Personally, fashion seems to be in the hype, above the society (I can smell the arrogance from all the (f)artsy Farneti covers or Vogue Portugal covers telling us that
ART
IS
NOT
JUST
A
PRETTY
IMAGE).

However, I will bring this up once again, in the days of Franca and good, proper Love Magazine, we had beautiful nude cover with Beth Ditto by M&M, and we also had bazillion visual commentary on everything by Steven himself. And what is it now? Harley Weir shooting a dress that looks like female genitalia and everyone sees it feminist and provocative? Or letting a black photographer to shoot Beyonce fora cover just once, and, worst of all, not quietly supporting him by making him a constant in Vogue editorial/cover artist, but do it once and scream "We are heroes, we have a black person shooting our cover!", and then forget that POC artists exist again? No, this is just hypocrisy and sucking hype and money of the readers. Expensive LUXURY Fashion MUST be creative and thought-provoke, and then all the rest comes after. I feel sad for all of us, TFSers, because most of us fell in love with fashion and photography when it was not as constructed and curated, more elitist, but still felt mysterious, creative, interesting. And to imagine people who grew up with the best, most iconic times of VI, Love, Vogue US and so on, to now be forced to consume whatever is happening in fashion now...

May not be Natasha's finest moment on a magazine cover but there is NO WAY I am going to complain about Natasha Poly on the cover of Vogue - ever! A diehard Poly fan through and through right here, so I'm sold no matter what the outcome.

At the very least I can appreciate the cover as a palette cleanser, following those naff Giampaolo Sgura covers last month.

That supplement cover would have been perfect for their take on Anna's Vogue Values

Poly by Claudia Knoepfel 12 pgs
Teja Feistner by Alexander Saladrigas, styled by Svetlana Vashenyak. 12 pgs
Kukua Williams by Agata Pospieszynska, styled by Svetlana Vashenyak. 6 pgs
Anna Herrera by Elizaveta Porodina, styled by Zolototrubova. 12 pgs
Jordan Daniels by Sharif Hamza, styled by Jasmine Hassett. 4 pgs. reprint from Vogue Japan
+ 8 pgs with Poly and kids in Vogue Kids supplement

СЧАСТЛИВЫ ВМЕСТЕ
Photographer:
Claudia Knoepfel
Stylist: Olga Dunina
Hair: Tomohiro Ohashi
Make-Up: Mayumi Oda
Models: Natasha Poly, Aleksandra & Adrian Grey

Vogue Russia Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads