W Magazine May 2009 : Amy Adams by Craig McDean

I really want W to produce a killer issue, rather than issues that "don't add up" - by that, I mean you get some issues that have OK covers but no real editorial content... then other issues have covers you don't really care for, but inside, maybe one editorial that's really interesting.

But these elements never seem to come together anymore to produce an issue that's great from cover to end.

I don't mind the celebrity covers - W has always had celebrities on the cover for half the year - but it used to do something with them. These days, it's only Madonna who "gives good cover" on W, and you expect that from her, that the shoot will be a performance, a story in itself.

W is by no means a write-off, it certainly still produces the occasional jewel, but it seems to have become a shadow of its former self. It's like someone needs to remind the magazine of the things which make it unique - including the freedom to visually experiment more, fully using that large-format cover.

Anything that was experimental about the Brangelina covers was lost on me, because the covers never overcame their celebrity, for me, they were savvy newsstand choices, but not something that added anything new to my life, the way that even an inspiringly styled fashion-related cover can.

This issue seems OK, it seems worth looking through, but where is the issue of W that has me leaping up and hoping every day that it appears because the cover is monumental and the editorials are a great twist on something? Personally, I haven't seen a W like that in some time - yet I know it could happen any month. I keep hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want W to produce a killer issue, rather than issues that "don't add up" - by that, I mean you get some issues that have OK covers but no real editorial content... then other issues have covers you don't really care for, but inside, maybe one editorial that's really interesting.

But these elements never seem to come together anymore to produce an issue that's great from cover to end.

I don't mind the celebrity covers - W has always had celebrities on the cover for half the year - but it used to do something with them. These days, it's only Madonna who "gives good cover" on W, and you expect that from her, that the shoot will be a performance, a story in itself.

W is by no means a write-off, it certainly still produces the occasional jewel, but it seems to have become a shadow of its former self. It's like someone needs to remind the magazine of the things which make it unique - including the freedom to visually experiment more, fully using that large-format cover.

Anything that was experimental about the Brangelina covers was lost on me, because the covers never overcame their celebrity, for me, they were savvy newsstand choices, but not something that added anything new to my life, the way that even an inspiringly styled fashion-related cover can.

This issue seems OK, it seems worth looking through, but where is the issue of W that has me leaping up and hoping every day that it appears because the cover is monumental and the editorials are a great twist on something? Personally, I haven't seen a W like that in some time - yet I know it could happen any month. I keep hoping.

Amazing post, completely agree, although I bought 2 issues this year, the standard has dropped incredibly. This magazine can be the BEST, but it's terrible right now. Hope they can get out the rut.

^^I third that, i dont feel that urgency to get it anymore. W used to be so much more creative, the last couple of years have been dissapointing.

I think Amy is cute, just not a W cover girl.
But you really cant go wrong with Lara, why didnt they put her on the cover?

With kitten ears and all, that would sell, why waste it, when you have a great model like that... hm

^^I third that, i dont feel that urgency to get it anymore. W used to be so much more creative, the last couple of years have been dissapointing.

Same. I used to have enough confidence in it to walk in and buy it without flicking.
But now, I think i've bought ONE issue in the last year or two.

lara's ed reminds me of sasha p's in vogue paris march 2008, but with a "goth" feel to it. :shifty:

Merged.
Please try using our search feature before starting a new thread, scriptgirl.
Thank you.

the Performance edit is seriously disturbing but, dare i say, in a good way.
and that wicked newspaper column. it's just one step from emotional overdose of this spread.
pretty fantastic stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->