What Are You Reading?

the unreality of time / mctaggart

maybe my third time to read it
it's about time as,say black albino

DominantWhiteHorsesD.jpg
wiki

Charity Girl by Georgette Heyer (with the Arrow books painting covers, to really get into the spirit of it)

I love this book, could do with less of the boring preliminary ball but once it gets cracking it's fantastic

Heart of Darkness. For a short novel, it’s kind of dense and the way it’s structured leaves me feeling so confused as to who is actually talking in it.

I'm currently reading What You Did by Claire McGowan.

Lately, I read The Couple Next Door and An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena and Let Me In by Claire McGowan.

the world as a labyrinth / gustav rene hocke

although I haven't counted, I've read it abou 15 times already. it is said that a book which is not worthy of reading twice isn't worth reading, but I didn't read it multiple times because it has worthiness. maybe I like going into the world of the book.

View attachment 1295633
wiki
Is there an English translation of this? I can only find it in German

Is there an English translation of this? I can only find it in German
do you read spanish? seems like there is that version available.
9c42753114f8a6fae2b022099cc2f5ef.jpg
buscalibre
WAL is what in those days mishima praised btw.

this one below by jacques bousquet seems to be the english version if you are interested. it might not be as fun as the WAL ( hocke says soberly such stuff as academy would complain against).
but it could be as thrilling as that labyrinth.

31491879037.jpg
abebooks

I'm reading a couple of books at the same time as I usually am: Fortune's Bazaar: The Making of Hong Kong by Vaudine England, The Roads to Rome: A History by Catherine Fletcher, Remembering Shanghai by Claire Chao and Isabel Sun Chao, The Truths We Hold: An American Journey by Kamala Harris, and Living the Asian Century: An Undiplomatic Memoir by Kishore Mahbubani. :flower:

A Little Princess, was re-reading to check if it would make a more acceptable birthday present for a 7 year old niece or her 12 year old sister (definitely skews more appropriate for the 12 year old I think, loved it as much as I did when I first read it aged 11)

I tend to come back to this somehow in september.

1558_img10.jpg
1000ya

He was somewhere, he had come back through the vast regions from nowhere; there was the certitude of an infinite sadness at the core of his consciousness, but the sadness was reassuring, because it alone was familiar.

^
as far as I could see, nobody can seem to read that book by hocke in the english version.
but the tears of eros by bataille shares a basic perspective with WAL. though it is written in a stubbornly bataillan manner.
in bataille's letter, he says he is looking for a book by hoche because he wants to write something under that theme.
probably the book which he was referring to was WAL and the something turned out to be the tears of eros.
and bataille's discourse on art is directly related to his discourse on erotism.
so, if there is actually WAL in english unavailable on earth, the two by bataille, the tears of eros and erotism might be good too.

Oh cool! Thank you for your insight. I’ve got a copy of Bataille’s Erotism but I’ve felt kind of intimidated to start it for some reason. Maybe after I finish the book on mannerism I will give that a go. Can you read in German?? Is that how you read WAL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->