What would you wear ... if you worked at Vogue

shannyD

Reaction score
If you worked at Vogue (or any other fashion magazine) what would you wear at the office?

* Also: what would be your dream job at a fashion magazine?

ShannyD, I WAS JUST THINKING THIS. I was watching The Devil Wears Prada and figureing out little outfits in my head if I were an editor there...

So many, so many, so many...Let me gather my thoughts...

I would buy a few great designer pieces and combine them with H&M basics and vintage stuff.
I'm thinking a good versatile suit (like this Roland Mouret for spring 2006) the jacket could be worn with a other skirt/jeans/trousers) and the high waisted skirt can be worn with sweater/top and a belt around the waist.
00010m.jpg

style.com

*please see tfs guidelines*

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd take advantage of the clothing allowance...:P

my dream job for a fashion magazine would be a photo editor or art director

what you would wear would necessarily depend on the position you held...

:wink:

i'd love to see more of this...:P

I'd wear lots of Ozwald Boateng, McQueen and Dolce and Gabbana suits, but dressed down a bit with pieces like lightweaight cashmere sweaters, Chelsea boots, leather jackets.....Obviously I'd wear a lot of black, but I'd mix in some colors like crimson red, chocolate brown and olive green, midnight blue, greys, berries, plum....just to keep it interesting.

Something like this for more casual days (sans cravat)
00073.L.JPG

This suit with a chocolate brown cashmere crewneck and beat up motorcycle jacket
00093.L.JPG

Add a matching blazer and subtract the hood
00174.L.JPG

I'd wear this as is
00001.L.JPG

firstview.com

You kinda get the idea, maybe tommorow I'll make an outfit. As for what I'd do, I think I'd want to do something like styling or art direction for photoshoots. Either that or work as an editor at large, I'd love to cover the shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would dress in a way which shows off my personality and always work some vintage piece into the outfit (could be an accessory or a dress). i dont necessarily have to be togged out in some obscure designer's clothes. infact, i probably wouldnt want to align myself with any one designer. there will certainly be alot of mixing.
softgrey - u are right, it depends on the role u play.
i dont see myself playing an artistic role in vogue. i'm more of a suit that dresses like an anti-suit. does that make any sense?

Editor at large because Im so tired of Andre Leon Talley (god, his name is such a pretentious mouthful)

Definately something Id wear to work, the sheer trench over a white suit w/ brown burnished slipons
00320m.jpg

Trotting off to the tents at Bryant Park or the Paris Polo club
00260m.jpg

00010m.jpg

00290m.jpg

men.style

I could fine more but Im not in the mood...Meh...

i'd be really honored to work as an art director for a fashion magazine.

i love great pieces i really do. but i need to be comfortable when i'm working. so i'm all about cigarette trousers, converse and a loose fitting sweatshirt.

as i would probably be running around...i'd always wear a sheer t-shirt over something decorative over black (well-pressed) ankle-length pants that i'd alternate with leather slippers, dress shoes, or boots.

i'd also have a jacket sitting in a cupbord for sudden special occasions..

anad to make life more fun, i'd wear socks in colours like light blue, purple, ochre, etc..

great thread shannyd...
something to run around in...
always very simple, with a strong silhoutte and nice lines...

something like this?

tous 001.jpg

Remember SatC, what Carrie wore on the first day she worked at Vogue, the lovely Vivienne Westwood........
ep65_carrie_pinstripesuit.jpg

hbo.com

probably something i made my self

an outfit that will look good with boots
an one piece dress that's not too tight

but than again..i would never think of working at vogue..not my place
maybe some smaller or not so mainstream..artsier magazine..like numero would suit me better

I'd wear Old Navy, of course!

No, really I would wear much more "fashion-y", more professional clothes than I do now.

For the Meetings: Louis Vuitton S/S 06 (Style.com)
00040m.jpg

For the Errands: Miu Miu F/W 06 (Style.com)
00060m.jpg

For the Paperwork: Fendi S/S 07 (modaonline.it)
fendi07.jpg

Great thread!

I think I would wear lots and lots of dresses, I truly love them, but not really easy to wear as workwear, and I hate the questions like: why are you so dressed up... And already get that with my casual clothing :wink:

Pictures are from style.com

Attachments

• 00070m.jpg
    00070m.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 00220m.jpg
    00220m.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 00020m.jpg
    00020m.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 00180m.jpg
    00180m.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 00100m.jpg
    00100m.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
Some more (I love outfit searching...)

Attachments

• 00210m.jpg
    00210m.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 00170m.jpg
    00170m.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 00240m.jpg
    00240m.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 00070m.jpg
    00070m.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 00090m.jpg
    00090m.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
Already love this thread...

Hope it does not only apply to US Vogue... cause I want to play Creative Director for the Italia edition...

It would be perfect cause then I could afford/it wouldn't feel out of place to dress like the mysterious, complicated artist... or no, wait... I wouldn't have time for shopping. Ok, they can sent it to me then (I would still pay of course:P ).

from top:
Y's, Limi Feu, Anna-Sara Dåvik, Ann Demeulemeester, Hall Ohara, Y's, CDG, Undercover, Peter Pilotto.

Sources:
style.com
blow.co.uk
peterpilotto.com
yohjiyamamoto.co.jp
changes.jp
cfd.or.jp
vogue.co.uk

Attachments

• creativedirectormoodboard.jpg
    creativedirectormoodboard.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 30