WSJ. Magazine Spring 2021 : Ashley Graham by Ethan James Green

Ashley’s ed is so Meisel that it hurts! Not only in terms of photography but styling, big hair, flawless skin...
I guess Ethan went for it.
But I think he needs to find an angle to distance himself from Meisel much like Meisel found a way to distance himself from Avedon.

^Check WSJ instagram - Dara, who styled the issue, showed few references. All were Meisel (old and new) and as I have suspected : Avedon.

In this dire situation the fashion industry is, I don't expect originality but at least beauty. This is a beautiful story... That's the only thing I can say.

It's almost comical that WSJ, with all the money in the world, can't seem book Meisel when they clearly want him so bad judging by the number of times they've commissioned Ethan to do these Meisel-influenced stories. Each time with a completely different stylist so you can't even blame the concept entirely on the stylists. Or maybe Meisel doesn't want Murdoch money.

Edward should be so lucky that Meisel is monogamous when it comes to the magazines he works for. All the more reason to make the most of that partnership. I know it costs them the earth but he should shoot at least 5/6 covers each year!

It's odd, cause he did shoot Sofia Coppola for them back in 2017. As much as I like Ethan's work, I'd certainly prefer Meisel!

I also like his work, even when he copies Meisel. And especially for this magazine and Vogue. It doesn't feel as obnoxious and brazen as, I dunno, Hugo Comet?

@GivenchyAddict I really need to know why is it that, other than Naomi's cover edit really, almost all Meisel's work for British Vogue is shot in the studio? I find that so dull and a waste of opportunity (not to mention money!). When you look at his campaigns you can sense that he'd be open to doing more thematic work. And it's not as though he shoots in the Bahamas, his locations are actually very simple. I like studio shoots as much as the next fashion lover but it limits the amount of storytelling. You must have a strong stylist, a strong model, strong hair stylists and MUA's and even then the result can get monotonous. Especially in UK Vogue's case.

The Ashley edit is great but imo there's something missing and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a bit of Carlyne type of garishness? The hair is already a lot but I just don't get enough camp for this to be impacting. Maybe it's her poses? Ashley will never have the HF edge like the fuller-figured models on the scene right now so they have to lay on as much trimmings possible. Her VP edit is still the best HF work she has done thus far. Yet strangely enough, that was the most un-VPiest edit under Alt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->