Yasser Arafat Dies At 75

ckashie

Reaction score
Yasser Arafat dies at 75
15:45 AEST Thu Nov 11 2004

AP - Yasser Arafat died on Thursday at age 75.

Palestinian Cabinet minister Saeb Erekat announced that Arafat had died. The Palestinian leader had spent his final days in a coma at a French military hospital outside Paris.

"Officially, he is dead," Erekat said in the West Bank city of Ramallah.

Hospital officials in Paris said Arafat died in intensive care at 3:30am (1330 AEDT).

Arafat's last days were as murky and dramatic as his life. Flown to France on October 29 after nearly three years of being penned in his West Bank headquarters by Israeli tanks, he initially improved but then sharply deteriorated as rumours swirled about his illness.

Top Palestinian officials flew in to check on their leader while Arafat's 41-year-old wife, Suha, publicly accused them of trying to usurp his powers.

advertisement
Ordinary Palestinians prayed for his wellbeing, but expressed deep frustration over his failure to improve their lives.

Arafat's failure to groom a successor complicated his passing, raising the danger of factional conflict among Palestinians.

So sad, I hope his death doesnt mean things will fall apart there :unsure:

Me too, but arent' things an all out battlefield there anyhow? I mean since I first learned about the whole israel-palestinian thing it's been barely anything else but an all out war betwwen the two since I don't know when..

Wow, I can't even imagine what this will mean for the middle east.

woa he died so quickly
it was kind of obvious that something was seriously wrong when he had to fly to paris

it should be interesting to see how things play out. i'm slightly terrified.

RIP and bless the middle east people! Either arab or israeli :heart:

All they need to do is kill Ariel Sharon and maybe the whole world will be a little happier. Face it, these two men are from an other generation that no longer represents teh majority. It's time for a fresh start.

Originally posted by fourboltmain@Nov 11 2004, 03:03 PM
All they need to do is kill Ariel Sharon and maybe the whole world will be a little happier. Face it, these two men are from an other generation that no longer represents teh majority. It's time for a fresh start.
[snapback]427425[/snapback]​

I don't know if that's gonna help much but something needs to be done, they could've ended this sh*t back in 00 but it didnt' happen, (note i don't think it was sharon was pm then)

Originally posted by wyatt.@Nov 11 2004, 03:44 AM
it should be interesting to see how things play out. i'm slightly terrified.
[snapback]426939[/snapback]​
me too :ninja: I'm told I shouldn't be, but I have this forbodding feeling.. :unsure:
however naive this may sound, I wish everyone could just get along :heart:

Originally posted by tiffany@Nov 11 2004, 03:12 PM
me too :ninja: I'm told I shouldn't be, but I have this forbodding feeling.. :unsure:
[snapback]427442[/snapback]​

It's not naive, only in the hearts and minds of those who don't want to do so...

Originally posted by tiffany@Nov 11 2004, 02:12 PM
[snapback]427442[/snapback]​
:angel: Sometimes naivety is the real truth... I want that too.
Our theory over here, by the way, is that he's actually been dead for a while now, but that it's been covered up. Apparently he didn't appoint a direct successor which will complicate things, so they were trying to get things organized within the few days of breathing space. I'm really not sure what'll happen now. Whatever your opinions though, it's always appropriate to give respect to those who've died.

Originally posted by kragirl@Nov 11 2004, 02:12 PM
I don't know if that's gonna help much but something needs to be done, they could've ended this sh*t back in 00 but it didnt' happen, (note i don't think it was sharon was pm then)
[snapback]427441[/snapback]​

Doesn't change the fact that Sharon is almost certainly guilty of terrorism against the British army...ironic you might say...

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 11 2004, 03:34 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Sharon is almost certainly guilty of terrorism against the British army...ironic you might say...
[snapback]427487[/snapback]​

what did ya mean by the last part? Anyway, I'm not saying it did but i was saying that we probably needed the last PM

Originally posted by kragirl@Nov 11 2004, 02:39 PM
what did ya mean by the last part?  Anyway, I'm not saying it did but i was saying that we probably needed the last PM
[snapback]427496[/snapback]​

Sharon blames the Palestinians for supporting terrorism whilst he himself was a terrorist. Look at how many of Sharon's former colleagues were assassinated by British hit-squads and the Israeli helicopter-gunship strikes on Palestinian leaders seem even more ironic.

Arafat is was a decidedly cleaner character than Sharon ever will be...

so is it almost or is it certainly?

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Nov 11 2004, 02:34 PM
[snapback]427487[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Sugo@Nov 11 2004, 03:03 PM
so is it almost or is it certainly?
[snapback]427538[/snapback]​

I don't know enough to go into detail about it but as far as I can see it's almost certain that Sharon was a terrorist.

Unit 101
It was a professional terrorist gang and was considered Sharon's private army. Its members were not classified according to their military ranks, but "according to their fighting experience".

In January 1954, the Unit was united with the Paratroopers Battalion of the Zionist army at the initiative of "Moshe Dayan". "Ariel Sharon" became the paratroop commander.
Among the students of Sharon in Unit 101 was "Raphael Eitan" who was the Chief-of-Staff of the Zionist army during the invasion of Lebanon in 1982.

Sharon is a douche bag bully as far as I'm concerned. Then he has the douche bag Americans giving his army military equipment like tanks, guns and grenades! :doh:

THe Israeli army has all those weapons and the Palestinians are left throwing rocks. Isn't that fair! :rolleyes:

Well, just to let you all know, but I'm sure none are surprised, some of the Palestinians have now launced full-scale attacks against the Israelis in response to Arafat's death and him not allowed to be buried in Juresalem(spelling), but merely in Ramallah

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->