You Buy It, You Keep It

Theory

Reaction score
I really hope other (better) retailers don't start doing this en masse. I often buy a lot of things if I have the kids with me and don't bother trying it on, but will return later. They have a lot of nerve doing this, especially if you have the receipts, its within the return time window and the item is unworn. I don't shop at Express, but I can imagine if this works, it will spread to other retailers, especialy at the mid-market level...it would be a bit more difficult if luxury stores did the same...they would lose a bit of their cache...but not impossible. I also shop for my kids and hardly ever try stuff on with them....I know I wouldn't shop at a store that has this kind of policy.

I understand people abuse the return system, but tough cookie, that's why the prices are so inflated.

YOU BUY IT, YOU KEEP IT

By RICH CALDER
September 20, 2004 -- Big Brother is watching you — return your merchandise. And the next time you do it, you could get blacklisted.

Some retail chains, including Express, are now hiring companies that specialize in tracking returns and exchanges that consumers make, a Post investigation found. And if shoppers exceed a certain limit, they could be stuck with that cotton sweater they just purchased — whether it fits right or not.

Darlene Salerno of Brooklyn recently discovered she is on an "excessive return list" blocking her from returning or exchanging items purchased at Express and, perhaps, other stores. Her returns were monitored by a California company called The Return Exchange.

The 27-year-old receptionist said the experience left her both "embarrassed" and angry. "Nothing I return is worn," she said. "It always has the tags, so why should I be denied my right as a consumer to bring something back?"

Salerno learned she made the special list Aug. 19, when she strolled into an Express store in midtown Manhattan to return two shirts and a pair of pants worth $148.82. The store handed her a paper slip titled "Return Declined."

A random Post survey of some retail chains found that most were unwilling to confirm whether they track consumer returns, although a spokeswoman for Gap Inc. said the firm has never used The Return Exchange. Salerno said she called The Return Exchange and was told her transaction was denied because she had "excessive returns."

The company, at her request, supplied Salerno with her own "return activity report" — a document similar to a credit report. It showed Salerno made six other returns worth $373.78 at various Express stores between June 8 and Aug. 13.

One Express store manager said the company began using The Return Exchange on April 1. Express's return policy, which is stated on the back of its receipts, fails to say returns are monitored, only that "under certain circumstances, we reserve the right to deny returns."

Officials for Limited Brands and The Return Exchange did not return numerous phone messages seeking comment.

this would cause serious problems for my entire industry...
i don't shop at express...but i'm already having stress about returns at another store... :ermm: :doh:

i think that is absurd...

I totally agree with you Theory. This is what part of being a business owner is. Suck it up. You already have high markups, rude SA's, etc. etc. What the hell else do you want from us as a consumer? Our blood?! There are numerous reasons for one returning items of clothing and Express can eat it as far as I'm concerned.

omg i hope that doesnt happen :shock: ..b/c thats where i buy like all of my jeans from (express) and it's also my favorite store..but sometimes if i'm shopping w/ my boyfriend and were in a hurry i grab a shirt in my size but sometimes it doesn't fit just right or i don't like the way it looks so i have to take it back or exchange it. that is so stupid, especially if you have your reciets. i know some game stores won't let u return or exchance stuff once you buy it, even w/ recietes. :angry: :cry:

Counterfeit Sevens, and now this??? Who do they think they are? What a bunch of morons. I hope they lose all their business; it'd serve 'em right.

Originally posted by AlexN@Sep 21 2004, 09:20 PM
Counterfeit Sevens, and now this??? Who do they think they are? What a bunch of morons. I hope they lose all their business; it'd serve 'em right.
[snapback]372193[/snapback]​

Hahaha so true. :innocent:

Im kinda already used to it, because most of the stuff I buy are on sale, so sale items most of the time are non-returnable, not even exchangeable... but I think im a good shopper, I buy it if I really want it, and spend an eternity at the dressing room making sure I really want it... :lol:

Oh my... I can't remember how many times something has been purchased for a photo shoot and then returned the next day. It's just so common, and I've relied on it many times (not necessarily at Express, but other stores). I think that if they're going to do this, then these retailers might should also consider a separate business of loaning items (with a fee of course) to models, stylists, and art directors who need them specifically for quick-turnaround purposes.

Originally posted by purreow*@Sep 22 2004, 05:17 PM
Oh my... I can't remember how many times something has been purchased for a photo shoot and then returned the next day. It's just so common, and I've relied on it many times (not necessarily at Express, but other stores). I think that if they're going to do this, then these retailers might should also consider a separate business of loaning items (with a fee of course) to models, stylists, and art directors who need them specifically for quick-turnaround purposes.
[snapback]372772[/snapback]​

i thought companies would donate clothes if they really wanted the publicity, or people could buy them and then auction them off afterwards?? it seems unethical to me that someone would buy, wear, and return even in such a circumstance, though i do understand it . . .

anyway, express hasn't gotten my business in years and never will again. if they are so concerned about return-policy abuses, they should have stricter standards for returns (checking for wear or odors etc) rather than a limit to the absolute number of returns or dollar value of returns (which it is is as of yet unclear) which is not told to the customer at the point of purchase.

i hope they lose tons of business and go under. the store has little style and less quality.

and i would have thought Limited brands has enough $ to treat their customers better . . . shame.

That's just ridiculous - she had six previous returns and they denied her? So if she'd grabbed a couple of items and didn't have time to try them on they refuse to give her her money back? What IS this? Not everyone has the time to pop in and out of dressing rooms for hours on end - sometimes you get home and realize it just isn't you, etc etc.

:: makes note to shop at Express even more rarely than I already do ::

Originally posted by jenimmacto@Sep 26 2004, 11:24 PM
i thought companies would donate clothes if they really wanted the publicity, or people could buy them and then auction them off afterwards?? it seems unethical to me that someone would buy, wear, and return even in such a circumstance, though i do understand it . . .

anyway, express hasn't gotten my business in years and never will again. if they are so concerned about return-policy abuses, they should have stricter standards for returns (checking for wear or odors etc) rather than a limit to the absolute number of returns or dollar value of returns (which it is is as of yet unclear) which is not told to the customer at the point of purchase.

i hope they lose tons of business and go under. the store has little style and less quality.

and i would have thought Limited brands has enough $ to treat their customers better . . . shame.
Agreed. That is correct, I know certain companies do donate to charity. This new policy is just too absolute. Express? Sucks.

Originally posted by Alejandro@Sep 22 2004, 02:08 PM
Im kinda already used to it, because most of the stuff I buy are on sale, so sale items most of the time are non-returnable, not even exchangeable... but I think im a good shopper, I buy it if I really want it, and spend an eternity at the dressing room making sure I really want it... :lol:
[snapback]372719[/snapback]​
:lol:

eck if i shopped at express id have to return everything anyway since nothing fits properly...good thing i dont.

I'm never shopping at Express again. I have TERRIBLE shopper's remorse! I return stuff ALL THE TIME! I don't wear the things, or anything, but I often get home in front of MY mirror with MY lighting (not those terrible slimming mirrors that make me think I can indulge in the Haagen Daaz that day) and hate what I bought. So I return it.

And thats that.

Not to say that I agree with the policy, but I can see where they're coming from. If someone is in the habit of excessively returning items, this means more work for the salespeople. I think this policy is mainly to prevent those who buy an item, wear it once, and then return it with tags and all, and not directed to those with buyers remorse. I guess the good side is that it encourages people to really think about whether they want the item before they make a purchase :smile:

Originally posted by chocsta@Sep 27 2004, 08:53 PM
Not to say that I agree with the policy, but I can see where they're coming from. If someone is in the habit of excessively returning items, this means more work for the salespeople. I think this policy is mainly to prevent those who buy an item, wear it once, and then return it with tags and all, and not directed to those with buyers remorse. I guess the good side is that it encourages people to really think about whether they want the item before they make a purchase :smile:
[snapback]377729[/snapback]​

I think there's an unfortunate side effect to that, though - and it's that the people who DO get buyers remorse do get caught in the wake of it. I choose my clothes very carefully, but even when I get home and wear it at home in front of my OWN mirror with my OWN lighting, the whole thing may look different than what it looked like in the fitting room. I think it's unfortunate that people wear things and take them back with the tags, but other people should stll have the right to buy and return.

Originally posted by Misako@Sep 27 2004, 09:24 PM
I think there's an unfortunate side effect to that, though - and it's that the people who DO get buyers remorse do get caught in the wake of it. I choose my clothes very carefully, but even when I get home and wear it at home in front of my OWN mirror with my OWN lighting, the whole thing may look different than what it looked like in the fitting room. I think it's unfortunate that people wear things and take them back with the tags, but other people should stll have the right to buy and return.
[snapback]377761[/snapback]​

You're right, but they're not saying that you can't return things at all, just not excessively :flower:

The person in the example "made six other returns worth $373.78 at various Express stores between June 8 and Aug. 13". That's six returns in 2 months... But then again I guess it depends on how much one shops.

All I was saying was that I can see where the policy comes from. They have the right idea, they might need to work on shaping up the policy so that it targets the problem more specifically, while still leaving devoted shoppers happy.

My biggest gripe about this policy is the whole tracking thing.
Is anyone else disturbed by retailers who ask for your license and scan it through a machine (LOL, I know it happens at some clubs also). I mean, I just don't give it to them. Banana Republic, a store I don't frequent has this policy, although I don't know if they swipe it. You don't need ID to purchase with a credit card (actually illegal to ask, no?) so I don't think you should need ID to return, provided you have the tags, receipt and the same credit card the item was purchased on. I refuse to be tracked in this way and other shoppers should be equally as disturbed by this. I'm not feeling this at all.

And I don't consider 6 returns in a 2 month period a lot at all, especially at a store like Express. I mean, me and my wife share a Bloomies account and usually make at least 1 purchase a week (she likes the store a lot). I tend to buy a lot of my home accessories, kids clothes, perfumes, etc. there. I have easily returned over $1000 in one statement period.....the amount shouldn't be the issue, that's discouraging devoted shoppers!!!! You can't penalize someone because they shop HONESTLY at your store on a regular basis. So what if she returned $370, but her net purchases (minus the returns) was $1500. Is that a bad/dishonest shopper? Not at all.

As for stores trying to deal with dishonest returns...sorry, sad to say but that cost is already factored into the cost of goods sold. Don't believe them at all when they say this....more than half of theft/crazy returns comes from internal sources (employees) anyway. They do not have the right idea at all, especially since many dedicated customers are complaining and will now turn to competitors instead. Face facts and not too sound harsh here, Express isn't Chanel...it's just another pedestrian mall store with average/below average quality and designs.......nobody shops at Express for Express, and I'm sure many customers will easily walk into another mall store if this policy affects them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishyloverr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->