Buying And Returning?

i'm ashamed :ninja: to say that i know someone who does this kind of 'buy and return' thing and it bothers the :smile:censored: :censored:) out of me :angry:

it would be a totally different matter if she ordered the merchandise via on-line, catalog, etc. and the fit or the style was different than what was advertised after trying it on. even if she's always rushing with the kids and doesn't have the time for the fitting is understandable. but she purchases the merchandise in the store, wears it for whatever event(party, photo shoot, etc.) w/out tag removal and then proceeds to return the damn(sorry!) thing :yuk: a few days later. how tacky and tasteless is that???? :angry: i think people like that should be hung :furious: and it's NOT like she can't afford it-she could probably purchase 10 of whatever she is buying. it makes me so irate what these types of people get away with. i realize that stores cannot check and examine the detail of the returned item because it would probably be a lengthy process. but under circumstances like this, perhaps it's best to enforce a store-credit-for-return policy for them.

i've made so many comments which she chuckles at and shrugs off. i guess as long as the stores don't pick up on this she will continue to do this. and it is pathetic because these people abuse the system yet the ones who really suffer are the rest of us.

lastly, i can honestly say that what she does to the fashion world is offensive and disrespectful. perhaps if she had even an ounce of good taste in clothing at all, she would in her right mind keep them as she would love the article enough to know to how to "recycle" or re-wear it in a different style/interchange with other pieces and accessories for the next-coming occasions.

sorry for the yada, yada, yada, folks :innocent:

Luxury's Lap said:
I have a friend that works for Tiffany's and she said that they had a person come in, wanting to borrow jewelry for the weekend. They said they don't borrow jewelry. So the person bought the jewelry, and then surprise, surprise after the weekend the person came back and returned it. I think the jewelry was around $60,000.

I thought Tiffany's lent out its jewelry for 10% of the asking price.

I remember seeing a Dateline special about how Loehmann's (chain that sells discount-designer clothes, for those of you outside the States) blacklists people.

I wonder exactly how they would determine whether you've "returned too much." A set amount? That wouldn't make sense, because if the amount is $10K, for example, I may return $10K worth of stuff but have spent $100K in total for the year while another woman who returns the maximum amount only spent that amount. Perhaps a percentage of what you buy? I do not like the idea of a store keeping track of what I buy. It always annoys me when boutiques ask me for information.

Gleam said:
I thought Tiffany's lent out its jewelry for 10% of the asking price.

I believe they lend their jewelry to magazines, tv, and the like, for promotional purposes, but I don't think there's a fee (just a lot of paperwork).

Luxury's Lap said:
I believe they lend their jewelry to magazines, tv, and the like, for promotional purposes, but I don't think there's a fee (just a lot of paperwork).

I meant for personal use (your wedding, etc.)... I *thought* they did that, as do Cartier, Boucheron, etc.

Like I said in the "You Buy It, You Keep It" thread:

I have a tendacy to not wear some of the things I buy (esp. when I'm on those shopping-to-make-me-feel-better-sprees) and it's nice to know that I can come back and return the item when I come to my senses.

The stuff I buy and where I buy it from don't have very kind return policies, so I can't return it. And when I do return it, it's because I realize that it doesn't flatter me and will probably never wear it.
When a store has a good return policy I'm more frequent to purchase something from there and then actually keep it.

Curious said:
...I've also returned on the "what the hell was I thinking principle" too...
For example... this weekend, I purchased these boots. Once I got them home, I realized they are hopelessly unflattering on me & don't go with anything I own. So... back they go :D

(nordstrom.com)

Curious said:
For example... this weekend, I purchased these boots. Once I got them home, I realized they are hopelessly unflattering on me & don't go with anything I own. So... back they go :D

(nordstrom.com)

I'm so glad you returned those boots, they look like something "the big kids" would wear when I was 8 :ninja:

I've never returned anything in my life, except from a $10 belt at H&M when I was in high school. I just bought it without considering the size, and it turned out to be too small and I really wanted the belt and when I went back there they had an entire rack full, so... The SA gave me a funny look, so I told her it was a birthday gift that didn't fit and she said "then why does it still have the price tag on?" and I said I didn't know and she gave me a new one. Reluctantly :ninja: I really hate returning stuff, I rather just keep it and maybe sell it on ebay or something.

Since I live in Kentucky, I don't have the luxury of going to my favorite designer boutiques and high-end department stores, unless I am traveling to Chicago for work. Really, the best department store we have is Lazarus which was recently bought out by Macy's. And forget about designer handbags: the best we've got is Coach and D/B. So I buy most of my clothes sight unseen. I have also tried buying shoes online, but only 1/3 times have they fit. As you can imagine, I have the need for returns on merchandise that doesn't fit or doesn't look the way it did online or in a catalog. Just recently, I purchased two pairs of Tom Ford Whitney sunglasses: one in champagne, and the other in dark gray because I didn't know how they would look on me. Once I tried them on, I could easily see that the champagne did not suit my coloring, and so I returned that pair and kept the dark gray ones. It would kill me to be forced to keep everything that I purchase because I would be forced to shop locally! Quelle horror!

all stores should have a policy of no returns unless the tag is still on. I don't take tags off until I'm about to wear/use it. I've taken things back that sat in my closet for months with the tag still on. But I'm sure people would find a way to reattach the tags.

There was a lady at Nordstroms returning stuff and I overheard the sa's talking about her and how she always comes in returning stuff. The sa's know about it but can't really do much.

What happens to the stuff that is obviously used? Does it go on sale, outlets, restocked?

Keya said:
I'm so glad you returned those boots, they look like something "the big kids" would wear when I was 8 :ninja:
:lol:

On the subject of online purchases... I'm returning a sweater today too. BEAUTiful teal (peacock) color that I'm lamenting losing, but it created love handles where there are none... and that's never a good thing :D

Greendrv said:
Since I live in Kentucky, I don't have the luxury of going to my favorite designer boutiques and high-end department stores, unless I am traveling to Chicago for work. Really, the best department store we have is Lazarus which was recently bought out by Macy's. And forget about designer handbags: the best we've got is Coach and D/B. So I buy most of my clothes sight unseen. I have also tried buying shoes online, but only 1/3 times have they fit. As you can imagine, I have the need for returns on merchandise that doesn't fit or doesn't look the way it did online or in a catalog. Just recently, I purchased two pairs of Tom Ford Whitney sunglasses: one in champagne, and the other in dark gray because I didn't know how they would look on me. Once I tried them on, I could easily see that the champagne did not suit my coloring, and so I returned that pair and kept the dark gray ones. It would kill me to be forced to keep everything that I purchase because I would be forced to shop locally! Quelle horror!

Thats exactley the situation I'm in, which is why I return so much. It's very annoying about shoes, they rarley fit well. I'm greatful that we have a good shoe cobbler here that often stretches shoes for me or puts in extra padding.

Greendrv said:

Buying two shades of the same sunglasses to see which suits you the best sounds like a brilliant idea! I wish I had the guts to do that, to me returning things is uncomfortable. Or at least the very idea of it, since I don't have much experience (see above post) I just worry that the SA is going to scrutinize me about why I'm returning it, and to avoid any uncomfortableness I just keep everything. I still have Chanel shoes that I bought years ago that never fit :unsure: I guess part of the reason why I don't return things is that I usually buy things overseas, either while I'm out of the country or I order online, and when I've ordered something I'll have to pay 24% custom to get the item into the country. If you add return shipping plus custom fees to that sum, it really doesn't make sense to return it as I could get more of my $$ back by reselling it within the country. If I buy something when I'm abroad, I usually don't have the return address lying around, so...yeah..

I have a ton of clothes and shoes that I've never worn. Some of it I sell online, but the real pretty stuff that I'm hoping someday will fit (yeah, if my feet shrink! :lol: ) it stays. Ah well.

I don't return in my personal life because I return in my professional life....like soft stated earlier...the whole studio services thing....I even hate returning when pieces are out on studio. Yeah, that's gross about the crumbs in the Chloe bag... I would be appalled if that happened to me.

Doesn't Nordstrom have the most lenient return policy of the department stores? I'm not sure...

I rarely return things because they don't suit me or I don't really like them 100%. However, I prefer to shop in larger stores where they offer the customer a 30 day refund or exchange if they aren't completely satisfied with their purchase. I have a jacket which I recently bought which has been sitting in my wardrobe (unworn of course - and with all tags attached) which on reflection I will return. I love it from the back but from the front it's too reminiscent of something Fidel Castro might be wearing this Summer!!!

I always dread having to return things as you really are at the mercy of the sales associate.

Grill said:
I rarely return things because they don't suit me or I don't really like them 100%. However, I prefer to shop in larger stores where they offer the customer a 30 day refund or exchange if they aren't completely satisfied with their purchase. I have a jacket which I recently bought which has been sitting in my wardrobe (unworn of course - and with all tags attached) which on reflection I will return. I love it from the back but from the front it's too reminiscent of something Fidel Castro might be wearing this Summer!!!

I always dread having to return things as you really are at the mercy of the sales associate.

That's kind of funny because I remember when I was younger and worked at a store selling accessories and such. The customers would always march in the store with such determination when they wanted to return something. You could tell that most of them had practised what they'd say, and when I went "Sure, would you like to pick something else out or do you prefer store credit?" right off the bat, I really caught them off gard. I mean, we was selling a bunch of crap that probably cost like nothing to make in some third world country, why wouldn't we take it back? I'd just toss whatever was returned in a box underneath the counter and that was that, but you could tell that the customers expected us to be snotty about it. Pssh :P

Hanne said:
There was an article in a thread about 6 month ago ? about some companies considering introducing a policy where they could "blacklist" customers who returned items (I think it was Express and some other companies) - so that when customers tried to return item after having had merchandize returned for a set amount - refund would no longer be offered (I'm remembering the article weakly - so the details might be off)

yes it is express. I think that the limit is $800. I actually know of a girl who reached the limited and was denied for a refund. :innocent:
How could one possibly spend $800 and return $800 in Express? That's many items and a lot of work! :shock:

I don't ever return anything. I don't need to really need to, my clothes are so cheap that I would just rather give it away then deal with returning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->