You Buy It, You Keep It

Originally posted by chocsta@Sep 27 2004, 09:35 PM
You're right, but they're not saying that you can't return things at all, just not excessively :flower:

The person in the example "made six other returns worth $373.78 at various Express stores between June 8 and Aug. 13". That's six returns in 2 months... But then again I guess it depends on how much one shops.

All I was saying was that I can see where the policy comes from. They have the right idea, they might need to work on shaping up the policy so that it targets the problem more specifically, while still leaving devoted shoppers happy.
[snapback]377776[/snapback]​

Well, I never stated that you can't return things, but the implication is that after a certain number of returns (which is never stated, and could be any number) one's ability to return is frozen...so beyond that point, you cannot return items.

I agree - they need to start tailoring or making a specific policy, because the shopper does NOT know what qualifies as "excessive" returns at this point. six returns in almost three months isn't THAT much, if one happens to be that type of shopper where they run through and grab some stuff - and if they shop a lot, that's perfectly possible.

So they need to be clear...

I pretty much second what Theory is saying. Those are VERY valid points, and mostly make up why I think this idea is mostly ridiculous.

This new policy doesn't really bother me... I don't think it's that hard to try something on IN the store. That makes sense to me. I rarely return items, but when I do it's just for an exchange. Anyhow, I have plenty of friends that buy dresses and wear them once... reattach the tags, and return it. I, personally, have never done this, but hopefully this will stop a lot of that.

If people have a problem with this, they should simply try on their clothing before purchase. If they have to return it, they shouldn't have a problem if it doesn't happen all the time.

I think that's not always so clear cut, though. I try on clothes every time I go shopping - I make a point to do so - but the way a piece of clothing can look on the store in the dressing room mirror may look different than the way it looks at home, in different lighting. The lighting in store dressing rooms and their mirrors are specifically done so that they make everything appear more flattering (thus inducing you to spend money). Thus, a lot of people can get buyer's remorse when they get home and realise it doesn't look as exceptional as it did in the fitting room, or realize that it doesn't match with as many option in their closet as they thought it did. It's not as if you have your whole closet at your disposal when you shop so you can compare this item that you're trying on with everything in your closet to see whether it's a worthwhile purchase or not.

I have a problem with this, and I try on clothing all the time, as I said. I don't believe it's as clear-cut as it seems.

Plus, Theory brings up a point about having shoppers systems in which they purchase regularly from one store, ie, Bloomies, which contains not only clothing but housewear, shoes, jewellery and other such items, so if one were to return, say, six items (a set of knives, a necklace, a couple pairs of jeans, etc, etc - based on Express' new policy) that means that the person no longer can return? it's not very sensible for companies which sell more than one type of item.

But that's what I think...

A friend of mine who worked in retial management at a bunch of different New York department stores told me about policies like this. Every store keeps a record of what you purchased and returned. If you excesivly return things, like far more than what you actually buy and keep, you could get blacklisted. I am surprised a company like Express would do this, considering that that market has always prided itself on ease of return, etc.

Ah, yes MJ. Big Brother is always watching, aren't they? I've heard of a lot of boutiques or smaller stores doing this....where returns really can impact the bottom line, but Express?
I guess if we used cash this could be avoided as they cannot track you as easily...this doesn't bode too well for proponents of a cashless society.

And Erin, I have 2 very young children and often times don't feel like trying on the clothes for them in-store or myself. I like to take things home and see how it works with other items I own.

I'm telling you, this is why stores like Barneys and Bloomies will always get my business.

Originally posted by Theory@Sep 28 2004, 02:44 PM
You don't need ID to purchase with a credit card (actually illegal to ask, no?)

[snapback]378702[/snapback]​

Actually, Theory, where I live (Canada), you do need to show ID (two pieces!) to purchase something with a credit card. Some night clubs here, have bouncers (security gaurds), scan your ID, licences, passports, etc...in a handheld computer device thing, before entering. And at some restaraunts, you have to write down your ID info in a book, before being seated!

This whole "no return" policy thing is actually not really alarming to me though... Here in my country, it is pretty common for stores to do that.It's usually the cheaper, lower end stores. But they usually still offer exchanges or credit notes. I know at BeBe, they changed their return/exchange policy to exchange only. My friend that worked there told me it was because people (mostly around holidays, new year's..) would buy the expensive dresses, wear them for the night, and return them the next day, smelling like cigarette smoke, alchohol..but with tags still attached! So I can understand why higher end clothing stores are doing this, but stores like Express?! Come on!! :glare:

I've never understood the whole "buy stuff then take it home and think about it and then return it" thing. What a waste of energy! :blink: If you're not sure about something just don't buy it. If you change your mind, go back into the store and if it's still there, get it. Simple. :innocent:

I work in retail (a small, boutique-y knitwear shop for tourists) here in New Zealand and we do NOT do returns. Yes, we exchange. Yes, we credit. Returning everything you buy (from what I've read on various fashion forums) seems to be a popular American pastime. I was really shocked to read about people buying quite a few things online with the intent to send all but one of them back. It really just seems like the biggest waste of your time! Not to mention the biggest waste of the time of the person you bought the stuff from. :doh:

I'd never return anything!! (Unless it was faulty) Maybe our culture is different here but the way I see it is that if you buy something, you keep it. End of story. :ninja:

Where in Canada do you live, Couture wh*re?
In all my time there I've never experienced, let alone heard, about any of this '2 pieces of ID' business.

This has happened to me. I jardly ever buy from express but when I did and tried to return it the third time, they wouldn't let me. I found it extremely rude that they had to scan my drivers liscense, which I thought was completely ridiculous.

But does anyone know if once you get rejected for a return you will never ever be able to return it again? Or do they only deny it to you for a certain time span?

Misako said:
I think that's not always so clear cut, though. I try on clothes every time I go shopping - I make a point to do so - but the way a piece of clothing can look on the store in the dressing room mirror may look different than the way it looks at home, in different lighting. The lighting in store dressing rooms and their mirrors are specifically done so that they make everything appear more flattering (thus inducing you to spend money). Thus, a lot of people can get buyer's remorse when they get home and realise it doesn't look as exceptional as it did in the fitting room, or realize that it doesn't match with as many option in their closet as they thought it did. It's not as if you have your whole closet at your disposal when you shop so you can compare this item that you're trying on with everything in your closet to see whether it's a worthwhile purchase or not.

I have a problem with this, and I try on clothing all the time, as I said. I don't believe it's as clear-cut as it seems.

But that's what I think...

As do I. I'm very indecisive when it comes to purchasing apparel and this type of policy definitely steers me away from making a purchase. It appears like you, Misako, I too try on the clothing in the fitting rooms but when I get home I realize the defect. I suddenly see that they are higher on the hip than I like or (and it's usually this) what the heck was I thinking- just because it's really pretty or cheap doesn't mean it looks good on me!

I have a tendacy to not wear some of the things I buy (esp. when I'm on those shopping-to-make-me-feel-better-sprees) and it's nice to know that I can come back and return the item when I come to my senses. :innocent:

What about GAP (or GAP Inc.)? I recently brought a pair of jeans at GAP, and they had the style and color I liked but I realized that "they are higher on the hip than I like" so I returned them. Are we sure that GAP doesn't do this now because that article was about a year ago. When I exchanged the jeans for something else, they asked for my address and number. I did not feel comfortable releasing my information like that... I'm not sure if they asked me when I actually purchased there (can't remember).

I was quite shocked when I first visited the United States and I saw people returning almost everything! It's strange because here in Hong Kong, few people return---unless they have factory faults or it is a gift or they just ABSOLUTELY do not fit. And usually, only store credit and exchange is avaiable.

I rarely return things, unless it is for a friend or for my mom. So, I have quite a few garments left that I can not wear..

I never return things I've bought, and the whole buy and return craze seems a bit absurd to me. Most places here will not give you a refund, only an exchange. I think that returning 6 items in less than two months, plus attempting to return "two shirts and a pair of pants" as well, within that time span, sounds a bit excessive. This buyer should start to take her time trying things on and not getting things unless she's sure she wants them, and this wouldn't happen. Sure, it depends on how much she spent at the store in total (if she spent $1500, like someone suggested, returning items for $522 isn't that bad, but still a bit much) As long as the clothing looks unused, have all the tags and it is within the designated time frame, I think the buyer should get an exchange regardless, though. I do not agree that the stores should have the right to take your info, though. They have no right to keep track of people's purchases this way, unless the customer agrees to this (preferably in writing) They never do that here, and I would refuse to give out my info if they asked for it.

I'm only bothered by the fact that i must present my license for a return. Most department stores i've gone to just ask me to simply fill out a slip. I had no idea that Express and Banana Republic had that check system. In that case, I will never buy gifts for others at those stores for fear of getting stuck with an item that i don't want in the future. Ugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishyloverr
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->