Your Best & Worst Magazine Covers of 2019

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
By now we've seen all the magazine covers which 2019 has to offer and I thought the time is now right for us to deliberate over the past twelve months, picking out the best and worst magazine covers of the year!

My absolute faves, off the top of my head, have been British Vogue's April cover with Naomi Scott and Vogue Australia's October offering with Hailey Beiber (yes, seriously). Also was incredibly fond of US Vogue with Phoebe Waller-Bridge and found the June/July covers of Vogue Paris with Gisele irresistible.

What's been some of your own personal best and worst covers of the year? There's bound to have been some major disasters (and faves) which I've forgotten about.

Personal worst of the year, the decade, and possibly of all time is Vogue Italia November 2019. The cover had such a big impact on me that it made me despise Florence Hutchings. This magazine as a whole was terrible this year, but nothing even remotely as bad as November.
There were probably other offenders, but I can't think of anything quite as bad at the moment.

As for the best cover, I'd have to say Vogue Brasil October 2019 with Gigi, closely followed by British Vogue October 2019 with Kaia. Gigi's glamorous portrait is still one of my favorite photographs of the year and Kaia's vintage glamour moment by Meisel was everything. As for some other honorable mentions there's definitely Gisele's Vogue Paris covers, Kate Moss for British Vogue, as well as Zoe Kravitz, Kendall for Vogue Italia, Christy for Vogue Brasil, Irina and Adriana for Spanish, also Penelope Cruz's covers, KKW and Shalom for Vogue Japan... there have been some quite good covers this year.

Besides Vogue, my favorite cover of the year goes straight to Elle France with Bella Hadid, I don't remember the month, it was like mid-summer, but it was that cover where she's wearing a big striped hat. An excellent cover, she looked astonishing and it was all very 90s looking, gorgeous! I wish I had an opportunity to buy that one.

Regarding Vogue, my personal favourite was probably Rianne's Vogue Paris cover for March. It was simple yet effective. Great model and fashion: no need for other pretentious values or themes to make a good cover. (Vogue Italia I'm looking at you). The worst was definitely Vogue Italia November. I have never see such an ugly cover in my life. It was just horrible. I can't think of any person looking at that and think "Wow, I want to buy this and put it in my shelf! Or in my instagram story with coffee aside."

Some other great Vogue covers were all Meisel's cover for British Vogue (Loved to see Karlie back, Zoe was amazing), US Vogue covers were pretty good except for August with Ariana Grande (that Photoshop of the dog!) and March with Justin and Hailey Bieber looking like mother and son. I must admit that I liked Kim for Vogue Arabia a lot.

Beside Vogue, I loved Gisele for Harper's Bazaar Australia, Chloe Sevigny for M me Magazine du Monde and Saoirse for Bazaar UK.
Worst cover of the whole year goes to Paper Magazine with that comedian who used to date Ariana and now is going out with Kaia, dressed up as Ken. Disgusting.

I'll just focus on beauty.

Elle Slovenia January/February, Vogue Paris April, Bazaar Serbia April, L'Officiel Switzerland April/May, Elle Serbia June, Elle Serbia September, Marie Claire Serbia September, Bazaar Romania October, Elle Germany October, Vogue Russia December. All in all, really happy with this year's contribution to my magazine collection and quite a few magazines will I cherish as memories of the beautiful journeys I've took.

(famousfix.com)

There have probably been plenty of fantastic covers that I would have had no way of getting hold of, or which perhaps held little appeal beyond the front page. So my choices represent covers I liked that inspired me to own the print issue (all images from newsstand.co.uk:(

UK Vogue Jul 19 and Oct 19 - I feel they represented an old-fashioned focus on making a cover shot with visual impact:

Vogue Paris May 19 and Oct 19 - these won't be a popular choice, but I liked these because you wouldn't have seen this style of cover elsewhere this year - both have a vintage tinge and are an unconventional shot:

Vogue Espana Aug 19 and Dec 19 - simply for being very striking cover shots, and a reminder of the days when seeing models on covers could seem epic:

French Elle 28 June 2019 - special mention of this example of a great cover featuring a model of the moment that appeared on what some people would consider a throwaway magazine. If I had to pick one, it would be this:

Thank you @tigerrouge for the (un)intentional persuasion to get the Spanish Vogue with Karlie. I thought I was over with shopping the 2019 editions, but I paid a visit to a bookstore today after taking yet another long look at this cover from your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamon53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->