Your Favorite Movie Wardrobes

^ Loved all those esp. Ed Wood.

^^ I know Beetlejuice actually used Japanese designs but I wonder if Fight Club did as well, or at least with Helena?

tumblr_m4nthgxtm01qbataco1_500.jpg
codeineandcoffins tumblr

I'm a sucker for Allen & Hitchcock characters too... and the French new wave :D
Malle (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud, Les Amants), Chabrol (Merci pour le chocolat, Madame Bovary, The Unfaithful Wife, Les Biches), Godard (Breathless, Alphaville, Vivre Sa Vie)... & Buñuel's French period (Belle de Jour, Tristana, Diary of a Chambermaid)...
+
Network (1976)
Days of Being Wild (1990)
Gattaca (1997)
Sliding Doors (1998)
The Painted Veil (2006)
Meek's Cutoff (2010)
The Awakening (2011)

Okay, so I just rewatched 9 1/2 Weeks; it's a truly dumb movie in so many ways (plot? hello?) but I honestly wanted to watch it to revisit the style - the interiors of places, and the clothing, the wardrobes, are quite beautiful. I love the big sweaters and coats Kim Basinger's character wears; and the sophisticated suits and dresses, too. She really looks great from start to finish imo. And Mickey Rourke - wow he what an incredibly good looking man he was back then, just stunning and almost delicately beautiful. Again, his wardrobe is awesome throughout. Bad film but very stylish, with great great clothes, imo.

^ I'm a huge Kim Basinger fan.
That reminds me of Batman (1989) and My Stepmother is an Alien (1988). She is absolutely stunning in both of those films and I love her wardrobe in both! Not kidding!

I really like wardrobes in Woody Allen's recent films. In the past, the clothes were often terrific, but I think they stood out too much and looked a bit costume-y. Whereas in, say, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, it captures the whole linen/easy "look" and makes it look completely natural. Scarlett in the white and yellow button-down shirt and short shorts, Javier's artfully paint-spattered tee, etc. And then in Midnight in Paris, I loved how Owen Wilson's fairly casual clothes looked somehow appropriate for the 2010s AND the 1920s. I love more exuberant costumes in movies, but I also really enjoy thoughtfully dressed characters whose outfits don't scream "look at me!"

Audrey Hepburn: Givenchy's Graceful Muse

Hubert de Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn - a match made in heaven. Givenchy intuitively understood Audrey's petite frame - the perfect foil it would seem for the sophisticated and ladylike look of the late 1950s and early 1960s - tiny waist, full skirt - often with underlay and a simply cut bodice, often collarless to show Audrey's swanlike neck.

In turn, Audrey's iconic movies served as the perfect environment for the ultimate catwalk - raising Givenchy's profile. And perhaps due to the timeless design of both the couture and the movies both are still much admired decades later.

Givenchy and Hepburn - classic, refined, urbane style.

The video background music is Goofin' at the Coffee House by Henry Mancini and the movie images are from Sabrina (1954), Funny Face (1957), Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961), Charade (1963) and Paris When it Sizzles (1964).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->