American Apparel #2

I feel like the magazines that American Apparel are being advertised in (Fantastic Man, Purple Fashion, The Gentlewoman) are really influencing the whole image of AA's look and apparels. I feel like with some of the products I see promoted all over Toronto (and I literally mean all over Toronto) the styling and garments individually hit the ideal trend for the season, I can say it's very Chloe/Celine influenced in my personal opinion.

Yes very European influenced look to the clothing (aside from their line of basic tees and leggings) with some prep.

From the BBC

American Apparel warns about mounting debts and losses

The US clothing chain American Apparel has warned it might not be able to continue because of debts and trading losses.

The Los Angeles based retailer said its debts had risen to $120.3m (£77.2m).

The firm said there was "substantial doubt that the company will be able to continue as a going concern".

Its share price fell 15% on Tuesday morning. The shares had already lost 55% of their value since the beginning of the year.

American Apparel, which has more than 280 stores worldwide, and 14 in the UK, warned of losses of up to $7m (£4.5m) for the three months to June.

Continuing losses

The company says it expects its losses to continue throughout the third quarter of this year.

The firm has also said it was likely to breach the terms of its agreement with its main lender, the private equity firm, Lion Capital.

The company, which is known for its t-shirts and low-budget advertising style, has been involved in several controversies.

Last year, US immigration inspectors ordered it to dismiss some 1,500 workers in Los Angeles because they did not have work documents.

The company's auditors Deloitte resigned in July. A newly appointed auditor Marcum is completing a review of the accounts.

The firm employs around 10,000 people.

bbc.co.uk

I think people might have realized you can get the same basic tee for a lot less than one would purchase over at AA - the recession has that sort of effect. Not to mention the questionable image AA was harboring out at one time or another and the treatment of its workers - it makes a perfect news controversy.

Quite a turn of events from where they were in 2005 though, ranked as one of the fastest growing companies with revenues over $211 million dollars.

From the BBC
bbc.co.uk

I think people might have realized you can get the same basic tee for a lot less than one would purchase over at AA - the recession has that sort of effect. Not to mention the questionable image AA was harboring out at one time or another and the treatment of its workers - it makes a perfect news controversy.

Quite a turn of events from where they were in 2005 though, ranked as one of the fastest growing companies with revenues over $211 million dollars.
That's the main reason why I stopped shopping there. for example, I saw a pair of trousers there that I really wanted but they were £70. If it was a store like...I dont know... Reiss?? then I would understand, but AA? Considering what they are (essentially a store for basics) I decided against it.

lollicandy - their image hasn't changed...at all. I, nor any of my other friends, who have been shopping there for a while, havent noticed anything.

I only own 4 things from AA anyway.

This is sad!!! I love AA! I have probably own 50+ of their pieces. I love their sexuali-tee and their v necks and their stan on immigration. I can't believe this!

I love their baby rib briefs. $12 for a pair of underwear and worth every penny. They feel so good and fit so perfectly..and they just look so hot. Especially if you have a nice butt :brows:

lollicandy - their image hasn't changed...at all. I, nor any of my other friends, who have been shopping there for a while, havent noticed anything.

Have you not noticed a huge change in their new season style and advertising images? They've got rid of most of the ridiculously sl*tty sheen heavy tiny clothing and replaced it with seersucker shirts and shorts, peter pan collars, petticoats, jodhpurs, that sort of thing. Its preppy in the extreme. Still to expensive, but I do love their hoodies as a daily comfy option, and the fact that their high waist trousers are genuinely high waisted.

It really has. And it is coming from the top down. I have not been in the US for about a year and had not been in the store longer than that, but I saw a huge difference in the dress of the people working there and what's carried on their website. Like mindbear mentioned, there's a lot of seersucker, soft color palette, and preppier/put together items.

Redsole^^ I am sad as well. I liked that it was made in the US, and saw that they are carrying some shoes made up in Gloversville NY on their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
ridiculously sl*tty sheen heavy tiny clothing and replaced

I don't understand how american apparel is ~sl*tty~ (that's such an awful word). Sexist yes, but tiny shorts =//= "sl*tty".

Where did I mention that shorts equal sl*tty. I am almost quoting verbatim what i've read in the press. Sexism would be the way that the women were presented in the clothes they make. If the women present themselves that way, thats not sexist is it? It's just women presenting themselves with virtually no clothes on.

It really has. And it is coming from the top down. I have not been in the US for about a year and had not been in the store longer than that, but I saw a huge difference in the dress of the people working there and what's carried on their website. Like mindbear mentioned, there's a lot of seersucker, soft color palette, and preppier/put together items.

I totally agree. It used to be very 80s inspired and had a gym class look with bright colors. Now everything is available in a softer color palette with tutus, pettycoats skirts, lace, preppy cardigans etc. I actually like their new direction.

Where did I mention that shorts equal sl*tty. I am almost quoting verbatim what i've read in the press. Sexism would be the way that the women were presented in the clothes they make. If the women present themselves that way, thats not sexist is it? It's just women presenting themselves with virtually no clothes on.

*facedesk*

Okay then. ^_^

You silly sausage. It's an understanding of the word sexist you seem to not have a grip of. What i'm saying is sexism in that form is the objectification of women by dressing them up to look like sexual playthings and nothing more. If a woman dresses herself up like that and projects herself like that, thats just a lack of self respect, not sexism. Dear me.

i haven't seen it in our store in a while. but maybe other stores do still carry it?

I would never buy AA from the Sydney store coz its too expensive, but my trip out to LA, I went to the Camarillo shopping outlet, where they had an AA store, and I scored some black high waisted pants. They were, I think $55, but they had 50% discount when I was there, so I got them at a pretty good price. So happy w/ my purchase

does anyone own this dress?
or tried it? i would love to hear opinions :flower:

Fine Jersey Racerback Tank Dress

2usbm7b.jpg

americanapparell.net

Apparently they discontinued this dress but I do see it frequently pop up on eBay.

And to be honest, I had this dress for a while before I sold it because the quality just wasn't that great. The fabric was extremely thin and the stripes felt almost just painted on to the fabric. :yuk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->