Chanel No. 5 : Audrey Tautou and Travis Davenport by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

Are you sure this is the real ad? I saw it on another website yesterday and almost posted it before I noticed how the "N°5" and the bottle seemed to be in low definition.

If this is indeed the real print ad, if you take out the "N°5" and the bottle, there is nothing Chanel at all about it, and even though Tautou is beautiful in it, it looks cheap for a mythical fragrance.

^ yeah im sure it is ,
i dont think its ground breaking but its nice and classic , what chanel stands for

I hate this new campaign, I hate the model, the idea, the aesthetic... it's a dreadful.

pd: and Audrey Tautou is invisible.

Are you sure this is the real ad? I saw it on another website yesterday and almost posted it before I noticed how the "N°5" and the bottle seemed to be in low definition.

If this is indeed the real print ad, if you take out the "N°5" and the bottle, there is nothing Chanel at all about it, and even though Tautou is beautiful in it, it looks cheap for a mythical fragrance.

It is indeed the real ad, although in print it doesn't have the bottle and the No5 logo on that image, instead it's a double spread, and the bottle/logo are printed on the opposite page, which I've scanned in below.

myscan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of the film but they should have used a different model and do more with the story they are trying to tell.

This doesn't grab my attention. It did with the Nicole Kidman one.

I love the second part of the ad. Absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad it ties into the film ad.

I actually like the print campaign.It`s very elegant,classy and stylish.Audrey is looking beautiful.

I actually like the print campaign.It looks very elegant,classy and stylish.Audrey looks beautiful.

this ad is awesume and ****S all over Kidman and Lurhman

Just imho, but I very much disagree. As much as I love Audrey (huge fan of hers!) this ad campaign seems very puritan and plain - almost dowdy. Kidman's was so much glamour, allure and magic to me, and this is something I feel this campaign really lacks.

for me the biggest miss here was the absolute lack of couture-showcasing.
did we forget chanel actually makes clothes? how did we go from the huge feathered couture dress nicole escaped in, and the beautiful black dress with the sparkling Nº5 on her back to basically... tank tops :ninja:

so until now, the number 5 woman was someone who everyone else admired, free-spirited, seeking an escape, true love, blah blah blah.... nicole's character basically

and from there, we go straight into the tiny old-train-cabinet of some lonely-and-poorly-dressed-tourist, who by the way is a stalker that would let the random-hot-guy-next-door get close and friendly for the people in the station to see

god! and here i thought recession wouldnt hit us so hard!!

THIS!

Exactly.

The ad had me thinking....um... Chanel on a budget? :blink:

It just lacked that grand-scale, couture element. And I don't mean glamour in the ritzy sense either. It's just far too plain and imo that just isn't really chanel.

I feel like its a very deliberate move by Chanel.
It has always been known from its inception for being elegant, timeless and chic.

Of course, everyone is well aware of how luxe the couture collections can be, but to be fair not every woman is able to buy a piece from the couture collections!
So perhaps this is a very clear direction in introducing the every-woman to the Chanel brand?

I don't think Audrey looked dowdy and poor AT ALL?
I think she looked classic and chic. There's nothing wrong with that!

I do see where everyone is coming from with the comparisons between the two campaigns, but in my opinion, this is all very deliberately and clearly directed at a new audience.

Baz Lurhman's ad (AMAZING as it was) was all about fantasy.
This campaign is clearly more about reality. Romanticism is the only fantasy that everyone experiences.

Did you guys hear about Karl Lagerfeld dissing Audrey Tautou on French TV? He said in an interview that he would have never chosen her as the image for Chanel because she does not represent the brand in any way and he hates her style. If he could have chosen somebody to be the image of N°5, it would have been Penelope Cruz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-2krqVMm1U

Wow!That shocked me a little.It`s really rude,but...Hmmm Penelope instead Audrey!There is No way...

And if Audrey is not representing Chanel,i would be a bird...I mean that she`s the perfect woman for Chanel.She`s looking so french and so Chanel.She represents the brand at it`s all.That`s my opinion.

I tend to agree with Lagerfeld. Audrey Tautou is cute, but she doesn't have the natural elegance of Keira Knightley, Nicole Kidman or Penelope Cruz. One of the things Lagerfeld said in his interview was that she accepted the deal just for the money. She obviously doesn't care about fashion.

I agree with Lagerfeld as well (and again, this isn't anything against Audrey who i think is a wonderful actress and a gorgeous woman) - but i get the feeling the powers that be at Chanel (the owners/directors?) decided to make the ads and spokesmodel somewhat more "accessable" and deliberately less luxe and more in tune with recession.

unforuntately it makes for a rather drab campaign...but anyhoo..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->