Coloring Your Hair at Home - Brand recommendations

be careful! today I went from light light blonde to "champagne fizz" by garnier nutrisse (slightly darker blond) and it looks so awful :( I am really upset. I usually use the cornsilk extra light blonde by revlon I think it is. I love that

I've always gotten my hair dyed at a salon but I want to try dying it at home..since I need no drastic changes, just want to turn from my slightly warm toned browned into an ashy toned brown. Anybody tried Garnier's Lumia? Or anything along those lines? :flower:

Yeah I ended up buying L'Oreal Excellence Creme and it worked fine, no damaged, dry or green hair at least. :smile:

feria is good for really bright, stand-out color. ive always wanted to try the one with the highlight color included...like there is the base color and then an extra bleaching set for doing highlights...has anyone tried it?

My hair stylist told me that Feria is too harsh for the hair, since then I stopped using them.

I usually use Garnier Nutrisse. I've tried Herbal Essence and did not like it at all; everytime I washed my hair, the color would run and within 2 weeks or so, my hair was back to the original color I started with...but thats just me. My coworker loves it tho. (?) :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ash colored hair dye? Where can I get it?

I used to be able to get the kind you use yourself but I cant find any in the US... Can i get any help? :flower:

sally beauty supply has a pretty nice range of ash tones - the last time i was there they had everything from light/dark ash brown, to dark grey, to silver. do you have a sally beauty type store near you?

Yes i found a sally in the phone book just a few blocks away. Thank you I will try there first :smile:

superior preferance by loreal has very nice ash tones, as well as that new natural match. in fact, I AM OBSESSED with the natural match dye. it stays in your hair unbeliEVABLY LONG and the colors are really nice! but a note, the colors tend to be a bit darker than you see on the box, so opt for a shade lighter.

garnier is, in my book, the devil of hairdye. crappy colors that dont stay in for more than one wash. my older sis uses it and i keep telling her to stop wasting her money!

I found an article in which a number of hairdressers proclaim Feria to be the best home colourant. They say they can always tell someone who has used Feria, because the colours are so superior.

feria is nice, but i find the colors to be often unnaturally bright and after about 2 weeks it starts to fade and then you are constantly redying the hair. believe me....i did feria for about 1.5 years.....im trying to grow virgin hair again, but it's hard. i keep slapping myself on the wrist whenever i wander into the haircoloring section at rite-aid. :ninja:.......

I'm thinking of dying my hair. I can't afford to go to someone else (I'm a student I live off Ramen and cheap beer hell no can I afford that). My problem is that my hair is so long that I always manage to miss spots no matter how I apply the color. I'm wanting to go from black to red so this time if I screw up it will be alot more obvious.

does anyone have recommendations for a nice, rich but not too dark brown?

my hair's an ashy medium brown, and i actually prefer the texture of my hair after it's roughed up with a bit of processing.... so i color it a bit darker and more chocolate-y. i haven't found a color that's rich but lacking red/purple tones yet - any suggestions?

When I had darker hair I used to do it myself but now my hair is blonde I go to the hairdresser. I've tried to do it myself a few times but it's always ended in disaster. I pay more in getting someone to fix my hair every time I botch it than just going and gettting it coloured every few months by a professional.

For blondes: if you have Goldwell Colorance toner mousses in your country (I'm in Australia), use them- they are the best toners I have found to get rid of yellow/brassy tones.

I like Revlon. $2.95 at Wal*Mart, and it always comes out great! Plus, they're ammonia and peroxide free so your hair won't get crunchy.

I totally reccomend L'Oreal Preference hair color if you're worried about hair damage. A couple of hair stylists said that it was one of the gentlest hair coloring lines out there and it totally works for me.

I've been coloring my hair since I was a teenager and the majority of the colors have been from L'Oreal (I've even stripped my hair once or twice) and the texture of my hair is still great.

A month ago I got into a hair color emergency and ended up dying my hair three times with three different colors (dark blonde, golden blonde and then strawberry blonde) in less than a week and my hair still felt healthy afterwards because I used L'Oreal. Everyone was amazed that my hair felt silky, my sister was sure that all my hair would fall out :lol:

^^i just used preference this morning. i posted above about recommendations for a rich brown color - and i ended up using preference (the kind at beauty supply stores) mega browns in chocolate. it turned out really nicely! it's a medium chocolate brown with a lot of dimension, and it looks really shiny! buying it at sally beauty supply saved me a few dollars too....

I actually decided to go on my own the other day (the last time my $150 + colorist didn't even get my hair quite ashy brown enough)...and I used Loreal Natural Match...I have to say, it's the best I've ever used-I used to dye it years ago all the time w/friends. Really simple, subtle. Basically great for getting processed hair to brighten(tone wise), cool down, or go darker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->