Difficult Designer / Brand Pronunciation #2

Lanvin pronunciation it's driving me crazy...i know that in french usually the final -vin should be pronounciated as -ven ,so it would be Lawn-veh but i'm pretty sure that in one of the video of vogue fr,where Emmanuelle Alt comment the collection, she says -VAN..so i guess we can say it's not LAWN-VEH but LAWN-VAH
here it is the link of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDmZMYpd8ic

i say lawn-van, exactly how emmanuelle says it in the video. i mean, if she says it like that, i follow her.

i never knew how to say Roksanda Ilincic's last name. but now i know. it's rock-san-da eel-ling-chi-ch

^Thanks, I guess I was pronouncing the ai correct, and there is no soft n
Lanvin I'm still not sure about :unsure:

Is is Dreez Vahn Ote-ehn for Dries Van Noten?

Dry-s van Note en

I have a Dutch mother :wink:

Be careful not to say "vahn" it will sound working class.

^I'm pretty sure it's Vair-SAH-chay with r pronounced by flicking the tongue against the front teeth instead of just puckering the lips. I think the Italian "ce" gets pronounced like Chay, since everyone says Dole-chay & Gabbana instead of Dole-chee :unsure:
How is the u in couture pronounced? i say Ote COO-tyure for Haute Couture but I'm not sure if that's correct. Oh and how are Balmain and Lanvin pronounced? I have no idea if the Ns at the end are pronounced or not or how the soft-n works, nor how the ai is pronounced :wacko:
Thanks in advance!

People say dole-chay because they have no idea. It's Dol-che and Versa-che. Like when you say BotticElli, you don't say boti-chay-lli, or for those who have no idea who botticelli is, pronunce the E of Versace EXACTLY like the first E. vErsacE

At 01:15, she clearly says Versa-che so please everyone stop saying Versa-chay, it sounds so incredibly cheesy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just watching an interview with Stuart Vevers about the new Loewe Icons collection and he pronounced Loewe
Loo-evv-ay
I literally had no idea - I read in this thread that it was pronounced Low-uh and have called it that forever.

People say dole-chay because they have no idea. It's Dol-che and Versa-che. Like when you say BotticElli, you don't say boti-chay-lli, or for those who have no idea who botticelli is, pronunce the E of Versace EXACTLY like the first E. v]rsacE

At 01:15, she clearly says Versa-che so please everyone stop saying Versa-chay, it sounds so incredibly cheesy.

You're so right! Versa-chay is the english pronounciation. I guess ppl often forget that there are still some other languages :rolleyes:

Same with Balmain and Lanvin. It is french! So no "Bal-mayne" or whatever. In the french language, the ending isn't spoken.

In general I hate it when all these brand names get adapt to english cos It takes away their glamour :yuk:

^ I agree on you so much. This also happens to Hermès as people pronounce it like they learn in mythology but it's written in French and it's a French brand, for god sake.

How do you pronounced the Dutti in Massimo Dutti?

I said Doo-tee the other day to a customer and it didn't sound... correct?

I think [doo-tee] is correct, just make sure you pronounce the 'doo'-part really short

^ I agree on you so much. This also happens to Hermès as people pronounce it like they learn in mythology but it's written in French and it's a French brand, for god sake.

Errm ... sorry to interrupt but if you go to the original thread of "How to pronounce ..."you will see that the debate of Hermes was settled by appointing the fact that Hermes is NOT a french word, its greek.

So you DO pronounce the "s" at the end. :flower:

(Info came from frenchpeople and even frenchpeople who work there. Totally worth checking out :P)

I hate when someone pronounces Proenza Schouler, like "Eskuler" when it's "Shuler".

Im positive it's Shouler. So it Pron-za or Prou-en-za ?

Can anyone settle the Balmain and Lanvin ? I have a list to ask here...

- Mabille: Mer-bai ? Ma-bai ? Mer-bil ? Ma-bil ?
- Sui: like in "suite" ?
- Demeulemeester: Der-miu ?
- Aquascutum
- Mischka
- Cushnie et Ochs
- Giles
- Haider
- Hervé Léger
- Hussein Chalayan
- Icarius de Menezes
- Maison: May-son or Mai-son ?
- Rodriguez
- Ohne Titel
- Olivier Theyskens
- Prabal Gurung

^ oh come on, you can go search the previous post then you will find Jack pronounced it skuler. it's one special case.
and another is Prou-en-za.

Sui is like s-wee
Demeulemeester is like dey-myu-le-myee-ster
Cushnie et Ochs is just the way it looks, in an American way
Olivier Theyskens is olivi-ye taiskens

^^ I can only help for French, so click on these names to listen how it's pronounced (thanks Festat for the tip !) , though it obviously doesn't sound very natural, the pronunciation is correct

Balmain

Lanvin (but the "vin" is too stressed here, which is not needed)
Maison
Hervé Léger

the 'engine' doesn't pronounce Mabille very well so it's better to listen on YouTube, like here a 00.02.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->