Do models 'deserve' covers/editorials/shows/campaigns?

Elite13

Reaction score
So, with the rise of the social media model, I often read comments from people who state that so and so doesn't 'deserve' to be on this cover or doesn't 'deserve' a place in a certain show when other models do.

I see some people state that a model's hard work should be rewarded with covers and shows etc and how horrible it is for someone famous' daughter to step in and claim these things without lifting a finger.

In my opinion, it's a bit of both. Yes, I do think it would be nice for a model who has worked her *** off, staying up late for fittings with early call times, certain restrictions, having to look a certain way, dealing with rejection 24/7, waiting hours in line at castings etc to actually get the jobs she wants but on the other hand I think if a certain designer wants someone like Cara Delevingne in their show or an editor wants her on their cover then it's hardly her fault if she gets chosen? And then these famous models often deal with early call times themselves, hurtful comments from the public 24/7 and a lack of privacy. But then again, they could use their money to get a great education and make a difference in the world, but so could non-famous models.

What do you think? Do models deserve work?

no, a drop dead gorgeous,billionaire daughter or reality tv star can.be a model,screw what anybody thinks if they.bought a career,BUT the problem with the current social media stars is that they do not look.the part.they don't play the model role,they are not interesting at all,and it shows in how they look and what they bring to the table. I don't think the problem is who they are it's more on they don't deserve it because they don't fit.

A model who had several editorials (I'm talking about more than 10) in a magazine deserves to be on this magazine's cover more than someone who had only one or any editorial in this same magazine.
A model who walked for a brand five or six and more seasons in a row deserves to be in the brand's campaign at least one time.
Celebrity models will never face what regular models will have to. A regular model's career isn't stable, she often doesn't get paid, if her agency drops her she gets nothing. This is why regular models deserve more the opportunities they are given.
But overall it depends on the model, if she proves that she has what it takes people won't care but if her work is constantly bad...

Discriminating against a model because her family is wealthy is as absurd as discriminating against someone because they are NOT wealthy.
No one should apologise for their family.

It's the same as asking should this actor get this role when he has been in 3701 big movies v an unknown actor who works soooo hard.

Edit - I do believe there should be the same requirements with measurements though. If Gigi can have a whatever inch waist while unknown cannot then that is wrong.
It's the same as saying - student A can get 90% if their work is worth an 80% but student B must have work worth 90% for that mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one 'deserves' anything, modelling is a job not a favour where its all about your delivery and what the client and the masses want in the end. The current crop of popular social media girls are popular not becaus eof their second names but more about their ability to market themselves. In this day of big brands paying bloggers to market their products getting a social media savvy model is like getting a model and blogger at once.

As Lagerfeld stated: "If you want justice, don't work in fashion".

I feel like a lot of models deserve some covers but i don't think that some doesn't deserve it.

Raquel Zimmermann deserve a Vogue Paris and a Vogue Uk cover. She is an icon in fashion and she had a extraodinary career. Carmen Kass deserved a Vogue Paris cover also.
I believe that when you have reached a level in your career, you deserve to have all the 4 most important Vogue Covers.

I'm sorry but those insta-socialite create a new frenzy arouund models. We can admire Sasha, Natasha and all the goddess but girls today wants to look like Kendall & Gigi.
They represents a new generation. They are products of our era.

I seem to remember Carmen Kass has had two Vogue Paris covers, November 1997 and October 1999, I think?

Discriminating against a model because her family is wealthy is as absurd as discriminating against someone because they are NOT wealthy.
No one should apologise for their family.

It's the same as asking should this actor get this role when he has been in 3701 big movies v an unknown actor who works soooo hard.

Edit - I do believe there should be the same requirements with measurements though. If Gigi can have a whatever inch waist while unknown cannot then that is wrong.
It's the same as saying - student A can get 90% if their work is worth an 80% but student B must have work worth 90% for that mark.

Interesting that you brought the education system up as a model for fair assessment. Even an ideal education system that by all principles should be “fair”— as Harvard’s entrance exams ought to be, are incredibly and blatantly biased against Asian students, apparently: http://www.wsj.com/articles/asian-a...robe-of-harvard-admission-policies-1431719348

Nothing is fair— either in more mainstream careers, and definitely not in the fashion industry. No model “deserves” a cover.

The fashion industry operates on rules and even regulations of its own making. If a publication’s editor favors certain models for their covers— whether that’s based on their personal relationships with these models, or purely bias, or simply a decision that’s made on the marketability of certain models, is fair game. The end result is selling beauty, so the PC-attitude that a “working-class” model that supposedly worked their way to the position that they’re presently in “deserves” a cover more than a popular model from a wealthy family with connections, is absolutely absurd. Unfair— most definitely.

I believe in earning something, rather than acquiring something. With Gigi and Kendull, I mean sure, they could have been anything they wanted to be in the world. They had millions before they even started modeling, but they chose this career because they wanted the "model lifestyle". But the lifestyle they have is very different to a girl discovered on the street.

They didn't have to live in a models apartment; with 9 other girls, attend a gazillion castings a day - for months and sometimes years, hoping to make it.

I don't blame Kendall and Gigi, but i don't respect them or the people that help them. Especially since neither are astounding models. It's cheap. From an industry that puts the average model through hell; and has such pretentious politics, it's become shameless with the Instagirls era. Borderline desperate.

It's a phase though. Its going to blow in the fashion industry's face when the general public catch on to how it's treating the privileged. You're already slowly starting to see it.

No model deserves anything. The question itself is so beyond cringy.
Fashion is a business, not about the workers who are paid to wear the clothes.
Magazines will put whoever they feel will sell the magazines, on their covers.
Brands will do the same for campaigns.
The only people who are interested in, and obsessed with models, are people who work in fashion, or wish they worked in fashion. The general public does not relate to models.The culture of celebrity is what the general public craves. That will never change.

Life is not fair, I would love Raquel to score a VP Paris, but at the same time she doesn't "deserve" it. I dislike the entitlement behind it.

I seem to remember Carmen Kass has had two Vogue Paris covers, November 1997 and October 1999, I think?

I know she had but in the Joan Juliet Buck era. Emmanuelle included her in so many editorials that i think she deserved it.

What i wanted to say is that it's frustrating to know that some girls are loved by editors and yet they don't get the covers.
And for magazines like Vogue Paris, we all know that it has nothing to do with being an "instagirl".

Daria became a well known model here because of her being in every issue of the magazine.

Well, life isn't fair and fashion is pure injustice itself but those "models" like Kendall, Gigi, etc just wanted the glamourous side of the models' life. A model's life is starting with nothing, living with a lot of other models and almost always far away from your family, attending a lot of castings without being casted most of the time and then, when you get to do some shows, you get paid with clothes instead of money. And we all know that clothes are expensive and beautiful, but they don't help you pay the bills.
Those celebrities models don't have to pay bills because their families are wealthy and pay all for them so they're happy if some brand gives them clothes instead of money after a show. They don't have to go to castings most of the time because brands just call them because of their "fame" (see Kendall at Victoria's Secret), etc.

Maybe the hard workers don't "deserve" more than they just because they're not famous or whatever, but because most of the time the quality of their work is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one 'deserves' anything, modelling is a job not a favour [...]

Even that is debatable.

I personally think that it's the whole concept of modelling that needs an overhaul. To me modelling is like a startup and often used a trampoline for a much bigger individual plan. Very rarely girls think of staying a model all there life (except a few who don't really have the skills [which by the way is not always there fault] to do something else).

Giving a true status to models as 'auto-entrepreneurs' would be an interesting start before talking about 'deserving' anything.

[...] more about their ability to market themselves. In this day of big brands paying bloggers to market their products getting a social media savvy model is like getting a model and blogger at once.

I completely agree on this part.

I think social media has really given models a little bit more humanity. That's an undeniable fact.

I've always thought that models were the first fashion ambassadors (well, maybe because I got interested in fashion because of models) when you consider all what they do (microblogging, catwalk, interviews etc.)

And indeed, if a girl can market her own self (personality etc.), then she can market people's things. That's quite logical really.

yes, they look way better (specially female models)

I've been thinking about this for a while. I'll start saying that to me there's three type of people who appear on fashion magazines, campaigns, etc. in general: Models, Celebrities and more recently Celebrity Models. Each of them have different reasons to appear on a certain magazine, cover or editorial, or campaigns (beauty, accesories, main brand, etc.)
In general to me is like this: are this people relevant enough to appear somewhere?. If you are a celebrity you are relevant if you have movies coming out if you are an actor, touring or albums if you are a singer or if you are winning awards. If you are a model being relevant comes with walking top shows, booking blue chip campaigns, etc. or maybe being some photographer or designer favorite. And lastly if you are a celebrity model it justs depends if you have connections and tons of followers, because at this point, are celebrity models relevant enough? They are way more famous than a tipical model but not famous or relevant enough like an award winner actor or singer for example.

I'm going to give an example: Rumors say that Kendall Jenner is going to be on US Vogue September Cover, a huge deal even if you are a model or a celebrity. Does she deserve the cover? i dont know. Is she relevant enough? in my honest opinion no. I don't live in the US btw, so i might be wrong. Now if we go back to the last three US vogue september covergirls, 2015: Beyonce, 2014: Insta Models, 2013: Jennifer Lawrence. I'm gonna omit 2014 because to me that's a one in a lifetime kind of cover. But if we compare Beyonce and Jennifer Lawrence with Kendall Jenner, there's a huge gap in terms of relevance and achievements. What has Beyonce achieve?, well she one of the highest paid artists, have won multiple awards and has a really succesful career same goes for J. Law and that's what i mean with relevance. Or in other words they are interesting to look at or to pay attetion to. That said, who am i to judge if Kendall Jenner or anyone should be magazine covers, walk certain shows, etc.? no one. but her sudden appearance on this particular cover seems out of place to me, but that's just my opinion.

So more than deserving a cover it just depends on the taste of designers, editors, casting directors, photographers, etc. Are we gonna agree with their tastes? definitely not all the time, but if Anna Wintour think that is a good idea to put Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner on her magazine cover that's up to her, if you don't like it you simply don't buy it (And if the sales are low she will say "aah these girls are not relevant enough for this", or the opposite). If Riccardo Tisci likes to put Mariacarla Boscono for example on Givenchy shows and campaigns is upto him and his team. So in my opinion is useless to debate if this or that model deserves or not a cover or a campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->