Fashion Tragedies / Damage Control

replacing a lining is one of the cheaper things a tailor can do (in the US).

here, you can also buy kits that have iron-on pieces of fabric in them. you pass an iron over the lining and the new piece of fabric sticks to the old one.

^The thing is that I don't know anyone, besides myself, who are bothered to have things mended etc. If that is the attitude of the entire country, that will probably affect the prices. Fingers crossed though:smile:

The tailor gave me a quote for replacing half the lining (below the ribbon, the dark green lining). She said at least 90-100 usd. Replacing all would be more expensive. I still found it very expensive, so I'll look into other options first. Maybe If I find a stronger material, that won't get holes, it would justify the price for me. I really love that blazer.

^ That's a lot. I paid $50 to have the lining of a long, full skirt replaced, including the fabric to my specification.

There's some really pretty patching on that site I posted a link to.

i have come to the conclusion that i lost 2 things over the holidays while traveling around the visit family and to take them out in the city, etc...

-a pair of very new and very expensive sunglasses (they were in the case and the whole thing is gone)
*these were a splurge and the very best sunglasses i have found in many years...
they can be replaced, but i don't know if i can justify another splurge like that on a second pair of the same sunglasses...

-an older and trusty black knit TSE cashmere scarf/wrap
*that scarf has traveled with me all over the globe- i bring it on every plane ride because it's big enough to be a blanket and it has been my go to scarf when the temperature dips down...i can wear it as a shawl or wrap it around my neck or head...
it was just one of my favourite things and i have never seen anything like it since, even though i have kept an eye out in case this day eventually came...

i have searched and they are nowhere to be found, so i must conclude that they are both lost somewhere along the way...
:doh:

somebody has probably found them by now and is hopefully enjoying them and putting them to good use, though they will probably never appreciate them quite as much as i did...
:lol:...:rolleyes:...

Last edited by a moderator:
oh miracle of miracles...
found the sunglasses today on the floor behind a table!

:clap::clap::clap:

happy happy joy joy...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

I recently got hit by a cyclist who tore my fleece Gio Goi jacket in the process then rode off. the tear is about an inch and half in length on the left shoulder. I've tried to sow it but it doesn't look very nice. Given how warm it is I really don't wanna get rid of it. Anybody got any ideas to make it look presentable?

I got a stain on my Zara scarf. It is acrylic and for that I would not be afraid to just throw it in the washing machine, but I often think that the care labels on similar things says that they have to be dry cleaned - and since the care label had been taken off when I bought it I am not sure wether this is one of those cases.

Would you dare to throw it in the machine at a program for delicate things and at a low temperature?

5a6a0b2b5780727ddf331e496eaded84.jpg

On Zaras website it says hand wash at max 30 degrees, so 20-30 degrees on the gentle cycle should be fine:smile: Maybe use one of those mesh bags that is recommended for lingerie and other things that could snag.

The tag says do not dry clean btw:wink:

On Zaras website it says hand wash at max 30 degrees, so 20-30 degrees on the gentle cycle should be fine:smile: Maybe use one of those mesh bags that is recommended for lingerie and other things that could snag.

The tag says do not dry clean btw:wink:

Seems like google DOES know everything :wink: thank you!

Would you dare to throw it in the machine at a program for delicate things and at a low temperature?

remember to list a source for every image you post here.

you could also wash it by hand with woolite. that is very gentle. :flower:

well- in the flurry of party prepping and floral arranging, the found sunglasses are lost again...this time, it seems for good...

also- my lovely new sacai luck navy hoodie was lost somehow that day when i took it off to arrange flowers...
:(...

so sad...
two of my fave and newer items...
and about $1000... out the window...:doh:...

:ninja:...

Thx M. But I think I have to release them.

And the horror continues. Lost my prescription glasses at a concert. Funny thing is that I wore no jewelry because I have been conscious of losing precious things lately. I even considered wearing a pr of frames I don't like so much to the show- but decided at he last minute that I have these things in order to wear them and so I did.

And now they are gone. One minute they were there and the next they were lost in dark amid a crowd. Sigh.

This has been a strange time. I still have my frames from HS but not from last year. It's a bit unsettling, to say the least.

a pair of leggings that i really like and cannot replace got stretched out at the waist so i made a couple of holes inside the waistband and threaded a cord through in order to adjust the tightness...
now the are drawstring waist leggings...

problem solved!

:clap:

I have bought a 70s (?) Jaeger blazer in corduroy. It smells very vintage... It is made of cotton/modal, with an acetate lining, and the label says "silicone finish". No shoulder pads or other padding. The label also says Dry clean only.

That means hand wash in 30 degrees water, right?:innocent:

^^did you do it?
i would think that corduroy would be ok to hand wash, yes...
you may lose some of this 'silicone finish', but at least you will be able to wear it without smelling ~!

^_^

^I did some research, and apparantly it is the acetate lining that is the problem. I am thinking the silicone finish might have dissapeared in the last 30-40 years anyway:innocent: None of the sites say why (how annoying!), but all agree that vintage acetate must be dry cleaned.

I will try to think of something clever when I get back from vacation:wink:

well- acetate is not a stable fabric and over time it gets rigid and will actually disintegrate/shred...
this is why it is only used as a lining and not as an outerlayer...
too much friction will cause it to fall apart...
and i think i remember that even sunlight will break down the fibre and fade the colour...
crazy right?!
i guess that is why you hardly see it used nowadays...

i have seen this happen with vintage things---especially at the seams...
but i think that if you gently hand soak you will be ok...
and roll in a towel and lay flat to dry...
i couldn't swear to it, but i would risk it if it were my thing...

i'll be curious to see what you wind up doing?!

i had two pairs of sunglasses adjusted yesterday---
one of them being my vintage raybans from the 80's...
rah rah!!!
going to bring them back to replace my cool sunglasses which were lost...

:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianarimar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->