Overrated/Underrated

Ooo, I just downloaded some of The Doors myself last night. :shifty:

Agreed, Jim Morrison was fantastic at poetry. I had the liberty of listening to tapes recording his poetry recitation back in the day, and it was just beauty. For their time, they weren't underrated. The generation today has sort of lost touch with where their music has come from. There's a good reason Rolling Stone calls The Doors #41 of the Top 100 Bands of All Time.

wow,that pretty much sums it up and my own conflicted feeling. that's awful really. they should be top 10 at the very least.

Overrated All the kids from Disney and their friends (Miley, Jonas Bros., High School Musical, Ashley Tisdale. And most of the Hip Hop acts right now (T.I., Flo Rida, The Black Eyed Peas, etc etc)

Underrated Interpol (they deserve to be as big as The Killers),

Overrated: Kings of Leon
Underrated: The Black Keys

I whole heartedly agree with both of these. There are innumerable obvious examples of both overrated (everything on the radio essentially), and underrated.

Overrated: Kings of Leon
Underrated: The Dead Weather

Overrated: Michael Jackson, Coldplay, Radiohead, Oasis
Underrated: Priscilla Ahn, The Rascals, Herman Dune

Last edited by a moderator:
overrated: the Beatles and every mainstream crap out today.
underrated: Jefferson Airplane, Refused,the Kills, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, PJ Harvey and Television

I love the beatles but yes, SO overrated. I mean seriously do i have to hear every kid at school sing a lyric like everyday? lol

As for underrated: The Smiths.

Underrated:
* T-rex (Love Bowie, but T.Rex deserves the same respect despite the way his career turned out in the end)
* Charles Mingus / Thelonious Monk (Always hearing ppl blabbing about John Coltrane but the work of these two men still sounds fresh and innovative to this day... so much vitality and life in their music)
* Psychedelic Furs (Don't get enough love... so many great songs...)
* Nina Simone (I have never heard this amazing woman mentioned amongst all of the great female singers... )
* The Dead Weather (really surprised by the energy in the music... energy that is missing from The Kills & The White Stripes, I think..)

Overrated:
* The Kills (I know, I know, contradictory, but Midnight Boom was hardly their best work, imho)
* Lady Gaga (am I missing something? Why is she being called innovative by EVERYONE??)
* Drake (go back to Degrassi, you arrogant douche)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't bear Lady Gaga. Hope the Lady Gaga fever will be gone soon.

Overrated: Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Feist
Underrated: Robyn, Ratatat, Spoon, Andrew Bird

^ Totally agreed about Ratatat! :woot: They're so amazing.

Overrated: La Roux & Justice
Underrated: Joanna Newsom & Stina Nordenstam

Overrated: the Killers,Sex Pistols,David Bowie,Interpol,Lily Allen,Lady CaCa,and all those kids associated with Disney, none of them are marginally talented.
Underrated:Chairlift,The Sound of Animals Fighting, and Joy Division

Overrated: Green Day (I just don't get it...)
Underrated: Animal Collective (I don't hear a lot about them...)

Overrated: Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, every other Disney channel star turned singer, Black Eyed Peas, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, etc...
Underrated: Bon Iver, Iron and Wine...hm, can't think of anymore now, off the top of my head, but I know there's more I've thought to be underrated, may come back and add more to my list later. :wink:

overrated: robbie williams, miley cyrus, three days grace
underrated: muse, the noisettes, the pierces, VAST, the white stripes

So agree about Joanna Newsom, Bon Iver and Iron & Wine beeing underrated :heart:

overrated: Aside from some of the more obvious already mentioned. Then there IMO are: Lykke Li, White Lies, Robert Pattinson, Oasis, Muse, MGMT
underrated: Veronica Maggio, Bonnie Prince Billie, Mew, Turboweekend, Regina Spektor, pete Yorn.. etc.

Underrated: Bon Iver, Iron and Wine...hm, can't think of anymore now, off the top of my head, but I know there's more I've thought to be underrated, may come back and add more to my list later. :wink:

so agree! they make music that melts my heart :cry:

underrated: William Fitzsimmons, Kings of Convenience, Pete Yorn.

^^Oh! Kings of Convenience, I meant to mention them, as well. ^_^

Agreed about Robert Pattinson :judge:

Wait...Robert Pattinson, makes music?! :blink: I thought he was just an actor...and then again, is anyone just an actor these days?! Apparently they all have to be an actor/singer/dancer/director/etc... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->