Overrated/Underrated

I personally don't like Radiohead myself, but it would be a stretch having to say they weren't, at some level, talented musically. IDK, it is all of a matter of opinion as Susanna-Cole suggested, I've even tried many times listening to vairous albums of theirs but no such luck... it's a bit flat, maybe?

And to include to the underrated's:

Simon & Garfunkel. A really wonderful 60's singer-songwriter folk duo that for whatever reason, get unheard of in that particular decade - I blame the Beatles and Beach Boys :P There's a great deal of musical groups and singers during the 60's era that get no such attention due to a few insanely popular musicians during that time. Zombies would be another too, love "A Rose For Emily" and "Time Of The Season".

Yes, but the honest truth is that, to me, they sound mediocre. :blink: Just because most think they're out of this world amazing, and I don't, doesn't make my opinion extreme. :ermm: You seem to be subtly suggesting that I should rethink my opinion, because it can't possibly be right. There's no wrong or right in an opinion. It is what it is. :innocent:

I hate to know what'd you think, if someone said they were downright bad. :ninja:
Thing is, saying Radiohead is mediocre is an extreme statement, or maybe the word is just unfair or uninformed, anyone that's been into music before, during or even after their arrival can grasp the impact they had on other bands and how they pushed the bar at a time when no one was mixing up genres, digging out what seemed like an already forgotten emphasis on rhythm and metaphor (at least in 'alternative music') and just being experimental, creating and exploring instead of repeat repeat repeat like most bands at the time (and right now actually).. you may not like them for matter of taste reasons, which is understandable, same as the repulsion caused after hearing people calling them 'genius' and 'out of this world', which is hard to dissociate when you are trying to find out what the buzz is about and ridiculous exclamations like that just taint what you're hearing but I think that when it comes to Radiohead (and a few other bands) in particular, the hype was built on solid work, if the reception by critics and critics-loving fans skyrocketed and they decided to just claim they were 'geniuses' to appear in the know and avoid the tedious task of actually appreciating their music in the most basic, human form, well, poor them but the (hard) work they've done growing their music into less conventional territory, their accomplishments as musicians and the influence they've had on most current bands and musicians (erlend øye and samuel beam being two of them! :innocent:) is really, everywhere you look in today's music, and that, a real mediocre band of our time, like nickelback, does not do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but the honest truth is that, to me, they sound mediocre. :blink: Just because most think they're out of this world amazing, and I don't, doesn't make my opinion extreme. :ermm: You seem to be subtly suggesting that I should rethink my opinion, because it can't possibly be right. There's no wrong or right in an opinion. It is what it is. :innocent:

I hate to know what'd you think, if someone said they were downright bad. :ninja:

susanna,honestly,you can all-out hate their music for all i care,i'm just saying to call them mediocre is degrading their impact and influence on music. i mean one would never venture to deem artists like the beatles,the rolling stones,pink floyd or bowie medicore,no matter how much one possibly dislikes them. and to be honest,radiohead has had(and still does)that level of impact.

Radiohead is overrated for sure and they/their music are pretty mediocre, I have to agree!

Never really got why everybody and their mums are into them, or why you sometimes only are accepted as real music lover if you like Radiohead. For me there is nothing really special in them to be honest. Have seen them live and they totally disappointed me ...

Haha I hate topics like these cause I get overworked by what people think on certain things I like/dislike but then I'm like hang on? I see no point but I suppose it's a dissuasion which is bound to have arguments.

Trust me I was about to write a long response defending some of the artists that people calm are overrated/underrated. Well I guess everything is down to opinion though a person once said to me "All in matter of clouded allusion"

Okay stop rambling and I guess people here have list my list :wink:

There are an endless number of artist that belong on both lists, but off the top of my head at the moment...

Overrated:
The Killers
Coldplay
Muse
MGMT
Kings of Leon
The Strokes
The Libertines

Underrated:
Nick Drake
Tom Waits
Ariel Pink
The Birthday Party (Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds to a lesser extent)
PJ Harvey
John Cale (VU, Lou Reed, Nico as well, but I think Cale has it worst)
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Cocteau Twins
Frank Zappa

Overrated: Oasis, Muse, Kings of Leon, Green Day (though I love the 2 first bands)...

Overrated: Oasis, Muse, Kings of Leon, Green Day (though I love the 2 first bands)...

once again it shows that you know what you're talking about when it comes to music! I couldn't agree more. :heart:

Overrated:
U2
Coldplay
Rihanna
Katy Perry
Lady Gaga
Beyonce
:yuk:

Underrated:
Talking Heads
MGMT
Vanessa Paradis

Under:
m ward (sans zooey. sorry i find her singing grating:ninja:)
john cale
john fahey
bridget st john
savage republic
the feelies
the chills

simon & garfunkel under-rated:blink: listen to any of our mainstream local stations or even college stations; they're in pretty heavy rotation.

lady gaga all the way!!!!!!!! plus beyonce and rihanna....
these 2 are everywhere and they have the lamest songs, the most boring lyrics, make me wanna vomit!

i was really disappointed with eminem for doing that song with rihanna!!!!

and U2....

Overrated: Oasis

I don't think they are overrated. You really can't touch Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory?. The thing is people will go and say that Oasis just do "simple pop/rock songs... big deal!" but that is so much more that that. You listen to Definitely Maybe and you feel like a bloody Rock'n'Roll Star from the beginning to the end, as if nothing could ever bring you down. Listen to Rock'nRoll Stars, Cigarettes & alcohool, Half The World Away.. these are songs that went straight to the heart of people. Not because they were commercial, just because they meant something! These are songs about something real, and that's about it.These songs may not contain the lyrics of the century,they may not contain a bright new sound but they're deeper than most of the so-called deep songs... This band came out of nowhere, wearing their heart on their sleeves, singing about living in a ****hole with the hope that one day they'll escape... and millions of people -me included- found in their songs the strenght to carry on because yeah, you listen to Live Forever or The Masterplan and for a few minutes you thing "**** yeah, life is worth living". and that to me is the most beautiful thing any band could achieve.

Now I do understand that people don't feel that when listening to Oasis. I mean that's music, it touches you or it doesn't... And also I do agree that half the things they did in the last decade were really average if not bad...

I could go on forever because when I see written in this thread that Bob Dylan, John Lennon etc are overrated... It makes me want to cry haha.

Maybe that just me but the only music I find overrated is the commercial music that want us to think it's about profound things in life or that people call art... yeah sure...

Overrated:
30 seconds to mars
Kings of leon
Beyonce
Eminem

I wont list underrated bands, but those would be my favourite bands. But I dont mind them being underrated. Everything's better than being overrated really. (But I must admit that as mentioned above Muse is starting to turn into a overrated band...but I still :heart: them like I used to years ago)

Overrated: Taylor Swift definitely. Her music is naive and shallow and her sense of fashion is NOT that good. Avril Lavigne, same case. Katy Perry (tacky music and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy under old Lily Allen's league)

And any other pop-rock stuff.
Post-rock, Yes ! Pop-rock, no, N-O.

Overrated:
Jay-Z
Justin Bieber
Rihanna (her voice is only great on CDs, she is just not a live artist.)
Katy Perry (horrible live-performance on EMA's... ridiculous)

Underrated TOTALLY
White Lies
Hurts

Overrated: Taylor Momsen fashion and music-wise. Her fashion taste is really mediocre, dressing like hookers and simulating trite Gothic motif are in every way uncool and not worthy of one single glance of mine. Her music is also way below average. Nothing much creative is put in and it's nowhere near to the splendor of LZ or KC or whichever bands/musicians she tried to compare herself to.

Overrated: Radiohead (don't kill me) - they have some good songs but most are just average (i did listen to their albums more than once trying to like them), Muse, The Strokes - noise not music
Underrated: The Courteeners, Hurts, Ellie Goulding

susanna,honestly,you can all-out hate their music for all i care,i'm just saying to call them mediocre is degrading their impact and influence on music. i mean one would never venture to deem artists like the beatles,the rolling stones,pink floyd or bowie medicore,no matter how much one possibly dislikes them. and to be honest,radiohead has had(and still does)that level of impact.

I don't think radiohead is mediocre, but I have to question them having as big an impact as bands like the beatles, floyd, zep, who and stones. I don't think they are at that level.

Overrated I'd have to say kings of leon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->