Petra Nemcova and the Tsunami

i'm thinking this need to be merged with the other thread that the same person started on the same topic...

okay but if we can barely get aid into these countries how are people getting in and out with children?

Meg said:
okay but if we can barely get aid into these countries how are people getting in and out with children?
i have no idea...it may not even be true. i'm just hoping the article is not really true. you can't believe everything in the news, right? however, they do have some really high criteria for people who are trying to adopt children out of the tsunami affected areas, so i'm thinking that the authorities are taking these threats seriously.

Meg said:
it is possrible, these countries have lack of border control, coastguard, law enforcement etc.

Meg said:
Because relief efforts have to take care of everyone and distribute food, water, medicine, etc., from international aid agencies, there is a huge coordination challenge involving many disparate agencies.

Organized crime is much simpler, they just need to grab the kids when no one is looking. It's horrible but it is a fact. :cry:

Update:

February 4, 2005 -- TSUNAMI-scarred supermodel Petra Nemcova is learning how to walk again. The Czech catwalk queen has been undergoing rehabilitation therapy at her grandfather's mountain chalet in the town of Karvinia. Yellow Fever designer Jamison Ernest, who says he speaks to Nemcova everyday, tells us that she's steadily improving. "She can't fly for three months because of her injuries, but she is very positive," he says. "She plans to continue modeling, but not at the pace she was doing it before. Every day for her is a struggle." Nemcova broke her pelvis and suffered in ternal injuries in the tsunami that struck Thailand and swept away her photographer boyfriend, Simon Atlee. She has turned down numerous interview requests, including those from Larry King, Diane Sawyer, Matt Lauer, Barbara Wal ters, Us Weekly and all the British tabs, which offered her hefty paychecks for an exclusive. "She just doesn't feel mentally capable to do an in terview right now," Ernest says. "She doesn't want to relive losing the person she loved."

NYPost - PageSix

Attachments

• pg6020405h.jpg
    pg6020405h.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 18
Another update from People.com. I don't have full access to the site, so this is only part of the article...

Tsunami Survivor Petra May Quit Modeling

Thursday Feb 17, 2005 3:00pm EST
By Marla Lehner
pnemcova.jpg

Petra Nemcova
CREDIT: KEYSTONE/BAUER-GRIFFIN

Supermodel Petra Nemcova, who survived the Asian tsunami in December, says she's had enough of modeling and the high-flying lifestyle that goes with it.

"I'm different now, with a completely different view of the world," Nemcova, 25, tells a newspaper from her native Czech Republic, in her first interview since leaving the hospital last month.

"Believe me, it really isn't important," says Nemcova, a former Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. "There are so many important...

What an ignorant thing to say.

Obviously many people have an interest in Petra - not surprising one of them being her modelling agency, who she has made much money for. It's not at all strange that they would be anxious to get her out of there.

It's not that she is more deserving than anybody else but she is lucky that people with money and for whom she has made money for worked to get her out of the area.

If you are so outraged, perhaps you should send a large sum of money so those without the recognition of Petra can be helped.

Petra didn't ask to be born beatiful and into opportunity just as the people of the affected countries didn't ask for their fate. The world works with what it has and you can't fault somebody for playing the cards they were dealt.

Wealth didn't spare her boyfriend's life. I think it's horrible to wish death upon someone who survived when the disaster struck and a human being's most basic instincts and luck were the only thing keeping her alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
eastendsnob said:
What an ignorant thing to say.

Obviously many people have an interest in Petra - not surprising one of them being her modelling agency, who she has made much money for. It's not at all strange that they would be anxious to get her out of there.

It's not that she is more deserving than anybody else but she is lucky that people with money and for whom she has made money for worked to get her out of the area.

If you are so outraged, perhaps you should send a large sum of money so those without the recognition of Petra can be helped.

Petra didn't ask to be born beatiful and into opportunity just as the people of the affected countries didn't ask for their fate. The world works with what it has and you can't fault somebody for playing the cards they were dealt.

Wealth didn't spare her boyfriend's life. I think it's horrible to wish death upon someone who survived when the disaster struck and a human being's most basic instincts and luck were the only thing keeping her alive.

were you referring to my quote about how i am glad she's smiling again and back on her feet? i dunno if i missed something but why is that a horrible thing to say?

PETRA'S BOYFRIEND FOUND

spacer.gif
PETRA NEMCOVA was told on Saturday that the body of her boyfriend Simon Atlee, who was swept away by the Boxing Day Tsunami, was found last week. The 25-year-old Victoria's Secret model, who was holidaying with fashion photographer Atlee, 33, in a beachfront villa in Thailand when the tragedy struck, managed to survive by holding onto a tree for eight hours. Currently recovering at home in the Czech Republic, she is planning to attend a funeral service for Atlee, her boyfriend of two years, in London in the next few days. "We're very relieved that he's been found, and we're very grateful for all the hard work that people have done to help find him," Atlee's sister, Jodi Hansard, told the New York Daily News "We'd really appreciate being left alone now to mourn him privately." (March 9 2005, AM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteXCX
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->