tFS Fashion Schools Mega-thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
um, there's always SVA (School of Visual Arts)
If you look at any of the student annuals (Graphis, AIGA, ADC) the majority of winners are from SVA....and these are international contests.
I think one year, about 80% of winners of Graphis were SVA students....

Originally posted by paint_it_black@Jan 8th, 2004 - 6:19 pm
i am going to this fall semster at F.I.T in New York City for menswear design.
that's cool. i used to want to go to fit. i may still. but i wouldn't do menswear

Originally posted by Sugo@Jan 8th, 2004 - 10:11 pm
um, there's always SVA (School of Visual Arts)
If you look at any of the student annuals (Graphis, AIGA, ADC) the majority of winners are from SVA....and these are international contests.
I think one year, about 80% of winners of Graphis were SVA students....
I don't think SVA has a fashion program...thats why my friend switched to Parsons after her first year. I am hopefully going to study fashion at The School of The Art Institute of Chicago...hopefully my portfolio will get accepted.

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Jan 7th, 2004 - 12:56 pm
Hello,

My name is Tashi. This is my first time posting here. I came across this site by chance and was thrilled. I had never been able to find a site where people discussed fashion in depth.
Welcome to TFS! :flower:

Originally posted by tealady+Jan 9th, 2004 - 8:15 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Jan 9th, 2004 - 8:15 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-stylegurrl@Jan 7th, 2004 - 12:56 pm
Hello,

My name is Tashi. This is my first time posting here. I came across this site by chance and was thrilled. I had never been able to find a site where people discussed fashion in depth.
Welcome to TFS! :flower: [/b][/quote]
Thank you! :flower:

No
SVA doesn't have fashion design. Parsons is best for that.
Loserunit mentioned advertising. That's why I mentioned SVA.
It's best for graphic design though. That's what I went for.

I have a degree in Architecture and have taken classes at Otis/Parsons here in Los Angeles and have to say the evening program is excelent. Because of my background in design and Fine Art i found it relatively easy to pick up. After 6 months of classes at night I started my line and feel confident I have learned most of what I needed. For any of you in the Los Angeles area interested in a BFA in Fashion Design you should check Otis. www.otis.edu

SMC - Santa Monica College also has an AA in fashion design priced at $18 per credit with excelent instructors and transfer credits into 4 year schools. www.smc.edu

IMO the best education is the one you will find by going out and doing. Fashion design is not so strict that you even need a degree to succede. Take a few classes, make some clothes and push your way to the top. I have met alot of people that have degrees from great schools that are working at Starbucks.

Adil Oliver Sharif, NU Magazine, London / Brandon Pierre, US: How much of an impact did Saint Martins have on you and your design skill? And, what were you like as a student?

Alexander McQueen: St Martins is a lot about hype and not much substance. As a student, I spent a lot of my time in the pool room in the cafe since I didn't feel I was learning much.

Originally posted by paint_it_black+Jan 8th, 2004 - 9:49 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paint_it_black @ Jan 8th, 2004 - 9:49 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-loserunit@Jan 8th, 2004 - 6:52 pm
hey you posted my post right before me. hmm...weird... whatever.
me?? [/b][/quote]
no just this entire topic. i posted one almost indentical

Originally posted by micouture@Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:53 pm
Adil Oliver Sharif, NU Magazine, London / Brandon Pierre, US: How much of an impact did Saint Martins have on you and your design skill? And, what were you like as a student?

Alexander McQueen: St Martins is a lot about hype and not much substance. As a student, I spent a lot of my time in the pool room in the cafe since I didn't feel I was learning much.
hmmmmm.... interesting..... :blink:

i did two semesters at central st martins and a few classes at the london college of fashion, and now im doing 3 classes at f.i.t. in new york. doing my masters degree in fashion at st martins in october :smile:

Originally posted by unismuimui+Jan 10th, 2004 - 12:31 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unismuimui @ Jan 10th, 2004 - 12:31 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-micouture@Jan 9th, 2004 - 5:53 pm

[/b][/quote]
st martins is not as technical as say, the london college of fashion or FIT. what they really focus on is creativity and developing ideas. i think thats whats fantastic about the college. i learned so much at st martins, and i was able to find all the technical skills i needed elsewhere.

I have attended both FIT in nyc and Parsons and I prefered the teaching at Parsons to FIT, although Vasilios (of the accesories dept) made my life beautiful at FIT! I will be attending London College of Fashion:Cordwainers for my Masters in October. I may even take a summer course at Instituto Marangoni, if my employer pays :lol:

Originally posted by Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 5:46 pm
I may even take a summer course at Instituto Marangoni, if my employer pays :lol:

:woot: OMG u HAVE to come to my school :wink:

they throw us the best parties EVER :innocent:

Originally posted by Acid+Jan 14th, 2004 - 3:48 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Jan 14th, 2004 - 3:48 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 5:46 pm
I may even take a summer course at Instituto Marangoni, if my employer pays :lol:

:woot: OMG u HAVE to come to my school :wink:

they throw us the best parties EVER :innocent:[/b][/quote]
You're on Acid!! :woot: I'm gonna be extra nice to my boss because he wants to go cheaper haha! I told him noooo they are the best please! Now I have proof! thanks :flower: :kiss:

Originally posted by Oria@Jan 14th, 2004 - 9:25 pm
You're on Acid!!
i hope u meant 'you're on, acid' :lol:

im not quite that naughty :blush: (yet)

oria --

can you tell me how you found Parsons different from F.I.T.?

I'm taking classes at Parsons, and thought about switching to F.I.T. because tuition is lower there...but if Parsons is better then that's where I'll continue.

I'd like to know your impressions.

i'm still in high school, graduating this june. i'm taking some undergrad course at st.martins this summer, and attending parsons in the fall. i'm so excited! :D

I would like to go in Esmod in Paris, it's hard but I would like to be fashion editor or fashion designer, and Esmod proposes a work very interesting.
Do u know Esmod and what do u think about that ? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->