Thrift Scores

Charity/Thrift Shop Finds

What are your latest?

My latest charity shop find were these Blowfish leather boat shoes:

iJLLacWMs6cNL.jpg

my own

Great thread Alstroe! :flower: Hope others will share their finds soon too, of the clothing or home variety.

Thank you for the thread merge. Nice to see a thread resurrected!

Recently bought:
- Miu Miu sweater for £5 !!
- Moschino Cheap and Chic blouse for £4

I'm off to hit the charity shops of Glasgow's West End tomorrow, I think. Expect much gloating!

I turned up a beautiful grey coat in a Glasgow British Heart Foundation shop. It cost £38, but I'd have willingly paid more. The label had been snipped out, but I'm trying to figure out, from the placing of the size tag left over and the style of the coat, where it's from. I think it's a designer label; if it were high street, they wouldn't have bothered to cut the label out. Pictures coming asap!

^^I'm curious to see this coat you speak of!

Maybe someone here can even help you ID?

I love thrifting. It's like treasure hunting... you just need to know what to look for. At my favourite local thrifting haunt to hunt I have found some pretty ridiculous items (perfect storm of being in a large metropolitan but in an out of the way area where 'fashion thrifters' don't tend to go). Some recent discoveries include a Herve Leger dress (not usually my thing but $15 for a Herve Leger is something you don't turn down), a Yves Saint Laurent Printemps/Ete 2008 silk shirt, Paco Rabanne bag, a Philip Lim 3.1 dress, and a Aquascutum wool blazer etc etc.

Basically the only things I buy new are underwear, socks, jeans and shoes (it's a line I don't cross).

2nd avenue sometimes has some nice stuff but u hav to look hard, women tend to be luckier in these shops

Just shopped the Value Village MLK 50% Off "pre-sale" on Sunday for card members and got some rad stuff. It's free to sign-up and you get the best selection unlike non-club card members who shop the next day when it's all picked over.

A Silhouette by Kathryn dress I purchased on Sunday at Value Village. I'm obsessed with white contrasting stitching... and lo and behold I find this 90s vibe dress with tie-on apron styling. Pardon the craptastic photo quality but you get the drift.

The best part and most glorious feeling ever of paying $3!

View attachment 674139View attachment 674141View attachment 674143
my snaps

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely time to bump this thread.

I get thrifting from my parents, but especially my mother - she is always on the look out for bargains, and she knows what she's looking for. Her finds include a Lalique vase, Clarice Cliff tea set, antique gold jewellery, an eighteenth century silver piece of tableware, etc, etc, which are all quite surprising finds in my little home town.

When I got old enough to search for myself, I immediately became hooked; I was on a quest to be dressed from head to toe in Belgian designer clothing for a total price of £30. But not many country folk dress in Margiela, so I didn't find much of what I wanted.

"You want everything for nothing." My mother once said. I have never gone back on that.

Since I moved to London two years ago I am now entirely obsessed with charity shops and thrifting.
This being due to the fact that I have found the most amazing things.
Margiela, Demeulemeester, Jil Sander, Dior Homme, name a designer, I've most likely found them, and surprisingly in my size.

Yesterday a man in an anorak stopped me on the way out of the door of Oxfam and said "I have an Acne jacket I'm returning, I think you'll like it!" Which was a little creepy, but probably shows that I'm notorious.

I'll start the bump with my latest find though, as I don't just look at clothes - I collect anything beautiful, unusual or luxurious.

The attached is a ground shagreen (stringray) Art Deco cigar box with ivory trim.
I bought it for £2.99, I googled it this morning and antique dealers in America are selling much less beautiful examples for $1,000.

What will I find today?

You are always the best thrifter. I want to be able to go to these shops so bad!!!

Must start hitting the charity shops again after reading this. I used to go regularly and volunteered at Save the Children for a while until my work hours increased and couldn't manage both. I use Ebay mostly now for my bargains, but nothing beats the thrill of going through rails of 'tat' and finding a gem!

That Acne Studios jacket that guy was talking about in my previous post? Finally found it the other day - a grey wool tailored jacket with different shade of grey sleeves and pocket flaps - £24.99.
That one was a bit out of my budget..
But it does fit me immaculately..

Today I got a Jil Sander long sleeved tee with high v-neck detail - £2.00

^^I'm curious to see this coat you speak of!

Maybe someone here can even help you ID?

The coat in question looks exactly like this.

63G40tu.jpg

(oakandfort.com)

However, back in 2013, that Oak & Fort coat wouldn't have been out yet, would it?

Erotokritos blouse for 5 bucks! at the Ballard Goodwill.

I love the Arts & Crafts meets Mary Engelbreit vibe both influences which I've loved since high school. I never set out looking for designer labels cuz frankly I just don't care but when I do find stuff from designers I admire I'm pleasantly surprised. Curated designer/label focused second hand stores grate my nerves.

pda4jjml.jpg

my snap

Lula Roe "buttery' leggings at another Goodwill in south Seattle.

Why are most legging patterns or prints so heinous?
I'd buy bucket loads if the colors and prints were attractively designed.

svGKPT0l.jpg

my snap

This original print which reminds me of my father and the model ships he used to spend hours constructing. Sadly I can't make out the signature but I love it nonetheless. Got this at the Mercer Island thriftstore.

QJyWzrCl.jpg

my snap

erotokirtos.jpg lula roe.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->