UK Vogue September 2006 : Kate Moss by Nick Knight

I like the cover - it's not bad, but I expected more. It's hard to follow-up the VF cover. And I don't find her editorial all that exciting, again it's ok. truebluejen thanks as always for the scans :flower: :flower:

sethii Thanks for much for the review!! Very much appreciated :flower: Also, for letting us know that it's the size of the yellow pages!! :lol: That's what I want to hear. I can't wait to buy it when it's available FOUR weeks from now :angry:

fleur137 said:
Kate and Gemma have eds. who else has one?
Ok I will go through the eds

The Smart Set by Nick Knight
model Gemma Ward.

all 50/60's style, I think. If you like Gemma Ward add one point to my scores ^_^

1st shot: Double page black and white spread of 4 Gemma's standing in different poses, in the same outfit against pure white background. Wearing BALENCIAGA HAT!!! (7/10)

2nd shot: a page of about 25 little photos, most are of her in different outfits. Not a big fan of this. 4/10

3rd shot: (single page)another white background, this time just one gemma, wearing brown coat, big shades and giant platforms. Boring photo though 3/10

4th shot: (single page) gemma wearing grey against a grey background, only colour is funny red goggles. 6/10

5th shot: (single page) black and white shot of gemma bending over leaning on her right knee, quirky pose - but her leg looks strange and I dont like the cropping. 6/10

6th shot: (single page) two photos side by side, one colour one black and white. the b+w one is okay but gemma does not look great in the other 5/10

5th Shot. (single page) black and white shot of gemma with lots of eye make up. 6/10

6th shot: finally something good!!! (single page) black and white, gemma in black poncho and knee high black boots, great pose! 8/10

7th shot: (single page) colour shot of gemma pulling a strand of her hair. 5/10

8th shot: (single page) again a black and white shot against a colour one. Much better this time. 8/10 for the B/w, 7/10 for the colour.

9th shot: (single page) my least favourite of the set, black and white, boring pose 3/10

('The New Smart' article begins now, but there is one more shot of gemma)

10th shot: (single page - spreads a little on to the other page) black and white, gemma looks brain dead but its quite a nice shot. 7/10

^ YOU ROCK:clap::clap::clap::clap:

do you mind if I put a link to your post in Gemma's thread:D ?

Seems like this is a pretty good issue of UK Vogue. And it must be filled with superb ads! Can't wait to see it!

the boys are back in town, by Corinne Day

'The new tomboy chic seems tailor-made for Katie Sketch, androgynous lead singer with The Organ.'

12 pages of this person!!!! aaahhh!! thats 2 more than Gemma got!!! Katie Sketch (whoever she is) has fair skin, dark brown hair and bad skin. All the poses are supposed to disguise the fact she is a woman - so there are lots of stupid faces which look as if vogue has put manure in front of the model. Perhaps this is a trick to make readers appreciate Kate Moss' ed which follows?

shine on, by Craig McDean

'kate Moss indulges in fashion's new-found fetish for rubber and leather; buckles and straps'

well dont let that scare you she isnt a dominatrix. sadly another studio set :( with a white background.

All of the shots are black and white, her hair and makeup is just as it is in her normal life.

1st shot: (double page) Kate reclines on a leather chair, her feet up on a wooden table. Think punk rocker meets gothic bird of paradise. 7/10

2nd shot: (single page) kate faces the camera, her arms are raised - like she is doing a beyonce dance - lots of skin on display again. 7/10

3rd shot: (single page) in a black dress and shoes, one foot is on a plain wooden chair, the other on the ground, the dress has been unzipped so you can see all of her back. 6/10

4th shot: (double page) kate sits down on a table, her head turned towards the camera, dressed like catwoman. best shot so far: 8/10

5th shot: (single page) kate stands, legs crossed and arms out to one side playing with a bit of fabric. the wooden chair is on its side behind her. 7/10

6th shot: (single page) close up of kate, she has some sort of leather swim cap on, and most of her face is covered by her hair. 6/10

this is my favourite editorial so far, still not spectacular though.

Can anyone please post scans of the other edits? I'd love to see them! Thanks!

The Smart Set - Gemma Ward
Photographed by Nick Knight

scanning High Rise next:flower:

high rise, by Patrick Demarchelier

'Autumn style comes short and sweet - think miniskirts, babydolls, shifts and tunies. Accessorise with matt tights, flat pumps and long, long legs.'

model: I recognise her but I forget her name sorry! here is a photo of her I took with my phone.

----------------------------
----------------------------

yet another studio set!!! but this one makes greater use of props.

hmm I'll just photograph all of them with my phone, not great quality but you should get an idea of the colour and compositions. Someone already said they are going to scan the whole thing so you will see them properly soon :P

shot 1:

b+w, cliche pose - why the cropped elbow? - 3/10

shot 2:

I don't like the pose, but overall this is better than the first shot, we have 3 mannaquins in the background, they look better than the model I think. Another mannequin looks up her skirt. 5/10

shot 3:

I'm noticing a trend here, models putting one foot on wooden chairs, the new pose for 2007? :D I like the colours in this one but again it is a little bit boring. 5/10

shot 4:

My fav so far, the clothes look great and her expression is stronger. That is the balenciaga hat again. :innocent: 6/10

shot 5:

(double page) Her face looks beautiful here, awkward pose though. Like her heel has gone up her ***. 7/10

shot 6:

Once again the top of her head is cropped (does she have antlers?) Stiff pose and expression. Composition and lighting I like - 6/10

shot 7:

This is definatley the best; it looks like an ad campaign. Interesting shapes and the pose works for once. 8/10...maybe 9/10

shot 8:

I think the model wanted a rest, looks like she has just been woken up and is about to attack. The compostion draws my eye towards her mid section and that big area of grey fabric. Worst so far - 3/10.

shot 9:

Is this model aerobics month? The clothes look good here, and her face is engaged. 6/10

shot 10:

The mannequins make a return, only to be elbowed in the face. Quite a pretty shot, but why have they cropped the hat again? Horrible shoes. 7/10

shot 11:

One of the better shots, though her face could be better. 7/10

I'll mini review the others.

after this is 'Pretty Boy' by lachlan bailey. Probably only of interest to those interested in make up. Never seen this model before.

then we have

'Polished Performance' by Thomas Schenk

caroline trentini looks great, but the photos are nothing exciting, just showing off the clothes.

Last edited by a moderator:
High Rise
Photographed by Patrick Demarchelier

Last edited by a moderator:
sethii said:
high rise, by Patrick Demarchelier

'Autumn style comes short and sweet - think miniskirts, babydolls, shifts and tunies. Accessorise with matt tights, flat pumps and long, long legs.'

model: I recognise her but I forget her name sorry! here is a photo of her I took with my phone.

I think it is solange wilvert

Thanks trueblujen.
The cover is kind of disappointing. I don't like the belly peep at all, nor the odd contortions. It looks messy. I was expecting something more sophisticated. It's not gross or anything but very forgettable.
I'm not a fan of Gemma but her ed is the best showcasing of Balenciaga I have seen so far. She looks so sharp and haughty. I actually think this mood would have been better for the cover.

yea you're right, I just checked the Solange thread and its her.

Thanks everybody for the scans! Solange looks pretty and this seems to be a good issue!

Horrible cover, boring boring eds....Come on British Vogue, pull up your socks! :P

I am very dissapointed by this cover!I mean when you have a model like Kate Moss there is so many great things you can do!I think Vogue Uk never uses her potential to the fullest when it comes to their Kate covers only a few are exceptional and like someone said comparing to VF this is a huge let down!But i am still glad she is on and i do like her edit!

I love the Gemma Editorial, Kates was ok some images just let it down. The cover was different from your average Vogue but not mindblowing.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->