US Elle July 2010 : Rihanna by Tom Munro

It's not the angle of her body, but the size of her head. It's as if they've made her head match the height of the ELLE lettering, but reduced the rest of her body to make it fit into the page, so that the shot wasn't cut off at the wrists. I don't think I need to see every sequin to get the sensation that they've manipulated the proportions, an attempt to create an artificial harmony, that unsettles the eye.

It's not the angle of her body, but the size of her head. It's as if they've made her head match the height of the ELLE lettering, but reduced the rest of her body to make it fit into the page, so that the shot wasn't cut off at the wrists. I don't think I need to see every sequin to get the sensation that they've manipulated the proportions, an attempt to create an artificial harmony, that unsettles the eye.

initially thats what i thought too; but the camera phone that captured the image can be angled weird too. that said, we all know that rihanna has more forehead. :ninja:

If it was down to the camera phone quality, we'd also have out of proportion text and such. It's definitely something gone with on the actual cover. Still, rather a large head than a weirdly Photoshopped hair line like Fergie's the other month...

That cover is vile. I'm no fan of Rihanna, but she is an attractive girl regardless of how awful she makes her hair. She does have an attractive body; it just resembles the body on that cover in no shape or form. Aside from that, the styling is predictable and boring.

This is me having a Tippi Hedren moment, feeling like there is no way to escape her no matter how hard I try. She's a big reason why I avoid the radio.

I will say this though, as much as I disliked that dress on the runway it photographed much nicer here. Wish the same could be said about her comb-over.

Love her music, hate her, hate the hair, LOVE the dress, by far my favourite Balmain look from Fall 2010... and too much text on the cover, seems overloaded.

I LOVE RiRi and I'm very glad to see her on the cover. She is rocking the Balmain dress.

Rihanna wearing Balmain? How appropriate.

Other than that, all I can say is "Holy Photoshop, Batman!"

Rihanna wearing Balmain? How appropriate.

:lol:

Besides the fact that to me she makes music that I'm pretty sure the dammed souls have to listen at the gates of hell together with Beyonce and co, she's a tackiness enhancer, certainly a department Balmain does not need her help...:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
^:lol: couldn't agree more...(especially the part about her music and her tackiness )

be2d99bc6fc6.jpg

elle.com

She looks great! It took a long time, but Rihanna finally grew on me...or maybe they reprogrammed me as I slept. :unsure:

I just can't even begin to explain how much that two-tone hair and ridiculous parted fringe thing offend my eyes.

Team that with the fact she's wearing what appear to be whisks on her ears and it just makes this a bad Elle cover for me. I quite like the dress/colouring/text however.

It's shot by Tom Munro.

On the album art for Rated R: “I wanted pictures that represented strength and fearlessness but still femininity—a strong woman who can be vulnerable. Every woman is made up of vulnerability and strength; no matter what race you are, no matter what you’ve been through in your life. Every woman has that strength that is undeniable, but we also have really big hearts. It’s just us.”

On her new beau: “I have a boyfriend. I’m so happy. I feel really comfortable, and it’s so easy. I have such a chaotic life, but at the end of the day, that is just my peace. It keeps me sane, really, talking to him and talking to my family.”

On turning her dream of popstardom into reality: “If I were in Barbados still, I would be dreaming about this. I asked for it, and I love it, so why am I complaining? My first day on tour, I remember saying ‘I’m so tired—this is so much.’ Then I thought, What the ****? You asked for this—you prayed to God to tour like Madonna.”

On designers she admires: “It’s clear there are definitely fewer black women in the high-fashion industry. One of the things I respected most about Gucci was that they did a print campaign with me. I’m a black girl on a fashion spread for Gucci—that was a big deal. I respect designers who aren’t afraid to go outside the box. I went to a Jean Paul Gaultier show, and I saw girls who are thicker than me, beautiful and voluptuous and different ethnicities. That made me so excited. I thought, Okay, I can work that, for sure.”

On the past year: “A year ago, I was very confused. Because he was my best friend. All of a sudden, one night changed our whole lives—not only our friendship, but our lives. I wanted to wake up one day and just not have that pain anymore. I wanted to be with him again or get over him—it was either-or. I just didn’t want to feel the pain, the confusion.”

elle.com

I just can't even begin to explain how much that two-tone hair and ridiculous parted fringe thing offend my eyes.

ha what about her new red hair-style?! it's soooo ugly! nevermind, the photos are gd, but no one will remember then in a few weeks.

Cover looks repulsive. What were the Elle team thinking? At least it's not as boring and bland as it used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->