Viktor & Rolf "Eau Mega" Fragrance : Raquel Zimmerman by Inez & Vinoodh

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
wwd / july 24, 2009

2crogo3.jpg

Designers Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren are storytellers. So is it any surprise the starting point for their second women’s fragrance was, just like their first, the name?

“We thought of the name Eau Mega because we wanted something that would complement Flowerbomb,” said Horsting, referring to the debut scent launched for the label in 2004 with Viktor & Rolf’s beauty license-holder L’Oréal. “Whereas Flowerbomb was a very sensual, gourmand and oriental fragrance, we wanted to create a fragrance that is fresh but not sporty or natural.”

“In the perfume business, an eau is often connected to something sporty or natural,” added Snoeren. “And we thought it would be nice to have a mega eau that is an eau but very feminine and glamorous.”

“So that’s how we thought of the word ‘eau,’ and, by association, we thought of Eau Mega,” explained Horsting. “We also like the play of words.”

A brief for a fresh, feminine and glamorous scent was given to International Flavors & Fragrances perfumers Olivier Polge and Carlos Benaim, who also conceived Flowerbomb’s juice.

“We wanted to create a big perfume that had the quality of freshness and fluidity of water,” said Ladan Lari, international managing director of Viktor & Rolf Fragrances. So there’s an aquatic entry with green notes, such as violet leaf, green basil and pear.

“The ‘mega’ part is about the flowery heart,” continued Lari. There, notes include peony, sambac jasmine and Italian primofiore lemon. “And then, it finishes up with something very warm, very creamy and enveloping,” she said, of the cedar, cashmere wood, sandalwood and white musk notes. “As always, Viktor and Rolf wanted contrasts. So the perfumers came up with something very cold at the start that finishes up with a warm end.”

Horsting and Snoeren, who have a penchant for old-time bulb spray atomizers, worked with Fabien Baron of Baron & Baron to come up with a newfangled version, encapsulated in their signature V&R seal. The pump system integrated into the gold-colored cap was patented under the name Megamizer.

“I think we were specifically looking for the feminine touch, because the name has a slight masculine touch,” said Snoeren. To spritz Eau Mega, either side of the seal is squeezed.

Said Horsting: “It’s like you press on the symbol of our universe.”

“And the imagination comes out,” added Snoeren.

Viktor & Rolf’s particular brand of surreal imagination seeps into Eau Mega’s advertising image. It features the Eau Mega bottle and Raquel Zimmermann swathed in wafting gold fabric. She’s like a superhero, towering above New York’s skyscrapers. The single- and double-page ad was shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin.

“We wanted to express this feeling of ‘megafying’ yourself, like when you use this fragrance, you become the best, biggest megaversion of yourself, whoever you are,” said Horsting.

i love it!!!! that is a great shot...very different from the usual perfume ads!!!
Raquel looks smokin!!!!

God, I didn't have high expectation when I saw the title but the image is :shock::heart::heart: Raquel looks really amazing there!
Absolutely love it!

AWW it looks a bit dkny with the city in the background?.... not v&r dreamy and fantastical enough
i don't reall like the bottle shape but the way you have to press onto the logo to spritz is prerry cool
Said Horsting: “It’s like you press on the symbol of our universe.”

It's a pretty cool shot, but I'm not sure what to think of Raquel flashing her bum to an entire city.

It's a pretty cool shot, but I'm not sure what to think of Raquel flashing her bum to an entire city.

I don't see the problem :ninja:

Lovely ad. Raquel looks nice.

Haha, it so fits her. :lol:
Agreed :ninja: :P I'm not the biggest Raquel-fan but yes, this ad defenitely suits her.
There's a bit too much gold for my taste, and well... yeah her pose is quite questionable (for a perfume-ad that is)

I'm disappointed with this. It looks quite cheap.

Compared to Flowerbomb, this looks like a hot mess. The city, and the styling are so NOT what I associate with the creative aesthetic of Viktor&Rolf.

I dislike this a lot. It's kitsch and overly commerical. Flowerbomb was ten million times better as an advertising campaign! :innocent:

That's like Raquel's 102nd fragrance contract right?

I like it, Viktor & Rolf campaigns are usually quite interesting they should advertise more often.

i think its about time they came out with a 2nd perfume. flowerbomb has been really sucessful, even though its priced quite high here. i wonder if this will be priced lower (although i doubt it if the pumping system has been patented)

can't wait to try this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->