Vogue Japan August 2018 : Faretta, Joan, Amber & Anna by Luigi & Iango

This magazine sure has an identity, but a very boring, basic one.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the group cover !!!! And the individual look awesome as well!!! GREAT job as usual when it comes to group shoots.

The solo covers are SO much better. They are all stunning!

The group shot... meh. It just doesnt work. Such a random group of models together.

Btw, didn't know Faretta was still a thing.

Yeah, I think the only actual newsstands cover is the group one. The rest are inside pages. So weird they keep doing that!!

I have this theory that it's the agencies who insist they release these solo 'covers' for the models to post on social media and say they have a Vogue cover. They did the same thing with Delilah Belle Hamlin and Sarah Snyder in February.

Anna did a great job with this one. She makes me like that awful Prada collection.
Amber is the real star here. She is a true supermodel.

The group cover is nothing interesting despite a surprising yet good cast. Solo covers look nice. I feel like I've seen this a thousand times though.

Can't Anna Dello Russo take a risk once in a while by publishing the individual covers as the newsstand ones, please? Luigi and Iango's work for Vogue Japan is actually rather underrated. Yes, they're all the same Avedon-inspired studio shoots, but I have a penchant for the glamour their image evokes. The clothes, as questionable as they are (looking at you, Prada), always end up looking a lot more desirable. But somehow, ADR always picks the most uninteresting picture for the main cover. Or maybe I just got tired of this magazine's layout.

Anna's is the only cover that matters.

The group shot is like Amber teaching the other girls how to pose. Her single shot and Faretta's are also nice.

Anna's solo cover is sublime! Amber's is okay and the other two are whatever.

I have this theory that it's the agencies who insist they release these solo 'covers' for the models to post on social media and say they have a Vogue cover. They did the same thing with Delilah Belle Hamlin and Sarah Snyder in February.

Are you quite serious? That's so sad if true. A group cover is still a cover.

I at first thought the cast was rather random, but now that I think about it, each girl comes from a different modelling wave.

The group cover is not interesting, I mean the shot is not bad but hasn't that eye-catching level. Solo covers are absolutely better: they look fresh, modern and captivating. I agree that they look like Vogue Italia cover style but this is not a problem!

^ Vodianova photos are from Russian Vogue July issue and styled by Patrick Mackie

Last edited by a moderator:
It speaks wonders of Luigi and Iango photography that any given picture can be published in any random editorial and not look out of place...

These sort of cold, aloof, just-pose-with-no-purpose shoots in B&W suit Joan so perfectly since she’s only ever capable of that one cold, aloof, just-pose-with-no-purpose look. Can anyone imagine a 500+ page book of Joan in the style of that Gisele book…???

These sort of cold, aloof, just-pose-with-no-purpose shoots in B&W suit Joan so perfectly since she’s only ever capable of that one cold, aloof, just-pose-with-no-purpose look. Can anyone imagine a 500+ page book of Joan in the style of that Gisele book…???

Lol, I certainly can't. Joan works better in a cast because she can rely on the other girls. Her MG shoots are her best. I don't personally know how she's managed to get this far in her career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->