What Makes a Supermodel?

So if a model marries a Hollywood superstar, goes to the talk shows, takes a few shots here and there, she is automatically a supermodel? I tend to disagree, the quality of work does matter, otherwise you are just a famous person who is photographed from time to time. And I don't think Kate or Karlie are that familiar to the general public, at least outside of the USA, and let alone commercial appeal of Karlie

Last edited by a moderator:
no one would accept kate moss as a supermodel if they see her in real life. but the girl is amazing in prints.

People often say Kate is not pretty or not modelelisque, I disagree, with her slender fisigue and fantastic bone structure she looks like a model in real life, while even the best photographers and make-up artists can't make Karlie's face look attractive:ninja:

So if a model marries a Hollywood superstar, goes to the talk shows, takes a few shots here and there, she is automatically a supermodel? I tend to disagree, the quality of work does matter, otherwise you are just a famous person who is photographed from time to time. And I don't think Kate or Karlie are that familiar to the general public, at least outside of the USA, and let alone commercial appeal of Karlie

That's what the media wants people to think. Obviously us TFSers know better, but do you think that normal folks really know the difference? They don't. Bar Rafaeli gets called a supermodel all the time, but all she's done is SI...and Leonardo Dicaprio :innocent:.

People often say Kate is not pretty or not modelelisque, I disagree, with her slender fisigue and fantastic bone structure she looks like a model in real life, while even the best photographers and make-up artists can't make Karlie's face look attractive

In Your opinion.

Kate Upton is becoming a known figure in households across America. She might not be my type of model, but I can see her becoming famous like Heidi Klum.

Karlie is already on her way to becoming a big supermodel. She already has all the tools to get her there: HF support (Meisel), Anna Wintour's support, a VS contract, & a TV show (House of Style). So yeah, she is basically a supermodel in the making, but I don't understand why people act like she could be the only one. Joan can be a supermodel too. She has HF support (Mert & Marcus), Anna Wintour's support, an EL contract, & a TV show (House of Style). Both girls can use all of this & make a huge career out of it. I could totally see Joan & Karlie getting into more hosting gigs, even shows like The Face. They're also the only two who HF models who get press that is solely about them, not about things they're promoting. Both of them can be supermodels.

Karlie is already on her way to becoming a big supermodel. She already has all the tools to get her there: HF support (Meisel), Anna Wintour's support, a VS contract, & a TV show (House of Style). So yeah, she is basically a supermodel in the making, but I don't understand why people act like she could be the only one. Joan can be a supermodel too. She has HF support (Mert & Marcus), Anna Wintour's support, an EL contract, & a TV show (House of Style). Both girls can use all of this & make a huge career out of it. I could totally see Joan & Karlie getting into more hosting gigs, even shows like The Face. They're also the only two who HF models who get press that is solely about them, not about things they're promoting. Both of them can be supermodels.

yeah they both can have it,but Karlie will be the only one to really be the Top Model. sure they both have a contract (but Karlie doesnt "play" anybodies background) they also have "HF SUPPORT" (but again KARLIE is way ahead of Joan,KK covers are iconic,as for Joan,her only great/good cover was VAUS,the rest have been bad) and Karlie is barely 20 YRS OLD! N Joan is... well who knows how old she is.

yeah they both can have it,but Karlie will be the only one to really be the Top Model. sure they both have a contract (but Karlie doesnt "play" anybodies background) they also have "HF SUPPORT" (but again KARLIE is way ahead of Joan,KK covers are iconic,as for Joan,her only great/good cover was VAUS,the rest have been bad) and Karlie is barely 20 YRS OLD! N Joan is... well who knows how old she is.

Saying they both can have it, then saying Karlie will be the only top model makes absolutely no sense :rolleyes:. If they both can be supermodels, then great! I don't think age even matters for Joan at this point. She's already done the most prestigious campaigns out there, she's got a big contract, & she's hosting a TV show alongside Karlie. All she needs is more big covers & more exposure, which will happen overtime. It just urkes me to hear people say that Karlie is the only girl of this generation who can make it, when Joan has the resume to make it too. Look at Joan's number of twitter followers, look at all the articles written about her, look at how many times she's been on MTV, etc. CNN did a story about her. Her EL commercials play on TV all the time. This is not Valerie Mazza we're talking about here. This is a girl with an insane amount of A-list work under her belt & growing fame.

B)
Saying they both can have it, then saying Karlie will be the only top model makes absolutely no sense :rolleyes:. If they both can be supermodels, then great! I don't think age even matters for Joan at this point. She's already done the most prestigious campaigns out there, she's got a big contract, & she's hosting a TV show alongside Karlie. All she needs is more big covers & more exposure, which will happen overtime. It just urkes me to hear people say that Karlie is the only girl of this generation who can make it, when Joan has the resume to make it too. Look at Joan's number of twitter followers, look at all the articles written about her, look at how many times she's been on MTV, etc. CNN did a story about her. Her EL commercials play on TV all the time. This is not Valerie Mazza we're talking about here. This is a girl with an insane amount of A-list work under her belt & growing fame.

they Both can but only Karlie will :flower:

http://www.newnownext.com/louis-vuitton-fires-angelina-jolie-bono-hires-karlie-kloss/04/2013/

You just dont get. If you really think joan is one the same level as Karlie then good for her :flower:

I pretty much agree with everything you said but I think the difference between Karlie and Joan is that Karlie seems to want to be a household name/supermodel whereas Joan seems to prefer being more low profile and being more private.

I pretty much agree with everything you said but I think the difference between Karlie and Joan is that Karlie seems to want to be a household name/supermodel whereas Joan seems to prefer being more low profile and being more private.

Well, Joan is known for her work, not her controversies like Karlie (the VS debacles, who she dates, etc). You can become a supermodel without the controversy. Look at Karolina Kurkova. I've barely heard anything scandalous from her, yet she's achieved worldwide recognition. If Joan stays with MTV & still manages to book big campaigns, then she can make it big.

Well, Joan is known for her work, not her controversies like Karlie (the VS debacles, who she dates, etc). You can become a supermodel without the controversy. Look at Karolina Kurkova. I've barely heard anything scandalous from her, yet she's achieved worldwide recognition. If Joan stays with MTV & still manages to book big campaigns, then she can make it big.

I hardly think Karlie is known for her controversies. The VS debacle had nothing to do with Karlie. She wore an outfit that they asked of her which she is hired to do. It's not like she was wearing an offensive outfit in her spare time. As for who she dates, I'm sorry but almost every supermodel out there has had stories about their love lives in the press. Karolina may be an exception but just look at Gisele, Kate, Naomi, Christy etc. And Joan is no Karolina. KK is a superstar where the majority of her work is OG and she is on the exclusive list of models who has appeared on the cover of the 4 big Vogues. Has Joan even had an OG campaign yet? And since you brought up KK, she also has a large personality and is very interactive with the media which helped raise her profile. Karlie is similar hence why there are so many interviews and news articles about her. Whether or not they are all positive is irrelevant as the point is, people are talking about her which is the making of a supermodel. Very few models are loved by everyone. Naomi is one of the biggest supermodels in the world but she isn't that popular due to her "controversies" as you like to call it.

I would love to see a new real supermodel these days but it doesn't seem to happen, i'm sorry.
I see everyone pointing on Karlie but i mean SERIOUSLY? I mean she's doing great in the fashion industry but she's FAR from being a SUPERMODEL in my opinion. It seems like she's accepting everything clients offers to her, even the strangest and smallest jobs she can ever get and she never shared jobs with the supers while Joan seems more an icon in the making, an example is her Versace S/S 2013 campaign, shared with Kate and Daria, this is a major big deal even if it's multi girls while Karlie is working more with the new generation of models (Daria Strokous, Jac etc), yes Joan is doing less work but the one she's doing are major and Karlie is everywhere? yes but where? Lara Stone was EVERYWHERE but everywhere with all the biggest campaigns and the biggest covers (Vogue Paris, UK, Italia or W, V, etc).
I also don't see this big exposure on Karlie, she's famous in the fashion industry but in my life i've never heard about her outside fashion forums or tv channels, the same of Joan but at least i see her becoming a new Liya Kebede or Daria Werbowy. Karlie is accepting too many things in my opinion... when she'll be ready for becoming an icon in the fashion industry than i can talk about her being a supermodel and well known everywhere but i don't see it coming right now. It's not against her because i find her cute and i like some of her works but calling her the new Gisele it's crazy, there's only one Gisele and we know who is, at this point Gisele had only girls campaigns for everyone (Dior, Louis Vuitton, Roberto Cavalli, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Balenciaga, Valentino, Givenchy, Missoni etc), Karlie for now as major and as only girl has only Dior (talking about the biggest campaigns).
I also don't think followers on twitter could be a reason for being called a supermodel, Christy Turlington has less followers than Joan and Karlie and she was one of the biggest supermodels ever.

No one is talking about being the new Liya Kebede or Daria Werbowy. These women may be icons but supermodels they are not. And as for Twitter, I have no idea about followers as I don't use it. I'm not suggesting that Karlie is currently a supermodel, I'm just saying she has more things in her favour. As for Joan, I was just replying to a post here. I'm not sure why they are pitted against each other as it's not like there is only room for 1 new supermodel. They both can be if they continue working hard and raising their profiles.

There are 3 models not mentioned here that I think can be supermodels and in many peoples and news establishments eyes they already are...Candice, Doutzen and Miranda. Miranda was definitely on the verge a few years ago when she started blowing up in high fashion but she's kind of off the radar now. She hardly works in high fashion at all. But Doutzen has had a major comeback and has even landed herself on the models.com Icons list which is major. I think she and Candice make a powerful duo.

I hardly think Karlie is known for her controversies. The VS debacle had nothing to do with Karlie. She wore an outfit that they asked of her which she is hired to do. It's not like she was wearing an offensive outfit in her spare time. As for who she dates, I'm sorry but almost every supermodel out there has had stories about their love lives in the press. Karolina may be an exception but just look at Gisele, Kate, Naomi, Christy etc. And Joan is no Karolina. KK is a superstar where the majority of her work is OG and she is on the exclusive list of models who has appeared on the cover of the 4 big Vogues. Has Joan even had an OG campaign yet? And since you brought up KK, she also has a large personality and is very interactive with the media which helped raise her profile. Karlie is similar hence why there are so many interviews and news articles about her. Whether or not they are all positive is irrelevant as the point is, people are talking about her which is the making of a supermodel. Very few models are loved by everyone. Naomi is one of the biggest supermodels in the world but she isn't that popular due to her "controversies" as you like to call it.
there is also a big difference between Karolina and Giselle,Kate etc.

models who don't really have that much publicity but still major Karolina,Daria W. ,Malgosia, Karen.

and the models who have had scandals Kate,Naomi. or dated famous People Giselle and they are all Supers. of course they all have an Amazing career in HF and Commercial just like Karlie.

so I don't see what is the issue with this?

No one is talking about being the new Liya Kebede or Daria Werbowy. These women may be icons but supermodels they are not. And as for Twitter, I have no idea about followers as I don't use it. I'm not suggesting that Karlie is currently a supermodel, I'm just saying she has more things in her favour. As for Joan, I was just replying to a post here. I'm not sure why they are pitted against each other as it's not like there is only room for 1 new supermodel. They both can be if they continue working hard and raising their profiles.

There are 3 models not mentioned here that I think can be supermodels and in many peoples and news establishments eyes they already are...Candice, Doutzen and Miranda. Miranda was definitely on the verge a few years ago when she started blowing up in high fashion but she's kind of off the radar now. She hardly works in high fashion at all. But Doutzen has had a major comeback and has even landed herself on the models.com Icons list which is major. I think she and Candice make a powerful duo.

I deff agree w Doutzen she has everything to be a supermodel IMO.
Candice maybe :flower:
Miranda I don't think so as she seems to do modeling as a part time.

No one is talking about being the new Liya Kebede or Daria Werbowy. .

I know, i meant i see Joan becoming a sort of legend in the fashion industry, working with the biggest and powerful team for decades (Anna Wintour, Steven Meisel, Mert & Marcus, Carine Roitfeld etc) and with the biggest models (Kate, Lara, Daria etc), while i don't see this coming from Karlie. Karlie is doing so well, she's doing AMAZING, please don't put my words in another side saying i don't follow Karlie's career, she's doing great but not that great for being considered a fashion icon right now or even better a SUPERMODEL (personal opinion of course).

Sorry, I didn't mean to put your words in another light, no where in my post did I state or imply that you don't follow Karlie's career. :flower:

Sorry, I didn't mean to put your words in another light, no where in my post did I state or imply that you don't follow Karlie's career. :flower:

The message wasn't for you or someone else, it was in general ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->