• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What to wear to a formal, semi-formal, or black tie event

adsurgo

Reaction score
a good friend of mine's little sister is have a pretty big birthday party at a manor type place. my girlfriend is wearing a brown dress and i would like to match her. what should i wear? i kind of want to incorporate a solid color skinny tie in it but im not too sure of what else to wear. i want to look slightly dressy but also different from everybody else in a "hip" (for lack of a better term) sort of way, i guess. im not really sure what kids in their teens are into these days but id definitely like to be a step ahead with what im wearing.

any advice is appreciated.
thanks a lot in advance.

Cardigan, worn with a buttondown, with skinny tie, dresspants, wingtips. Coordinate colors as needed.

What color skinny tie? I dont recommend matching her, it's so...kitch...

The Formal Event Thread

For discussing what you want to wear to any formal event. Discuss shoes, clutches, dresses and make-up. Post pictures of inspirations or celebrity/runway looks you want to achieve. If there is a thread like this already please merge. :smile:

Wish List:

Stella McCartney

Herve Leger

above sources: intermixonline
this source: my blog
which clutch should I go for?

liste.PNG

I like the first clutch (the ivory one with pleats)!

I've been waiting for a formal event, because I bought this beautiful black velvet dress a year ago and have not yet had the opportunity to wear it. I feel silly posting the pic here, but here's the dress:
2890287901_fd0e695648.jpg

(Source me)

As for shoes, I'm lusting after these:

(Source: Browns Fashion)

I love the Stella shoes :heart: I went to a formal dinner last week and had major wardrobe panic! I have an even bigger even in 3 weeks time that I will need advice for!

Black tie affairs

I have a few of these coming up - and just had one - and am always stumped as to what to wear. For my last one - an awards event - I wore a black, asymetric shoulder dress from the Kate Moss for TS collection with opaque tights and black patent heels.

For the next one I would like to wear a gold shift with opaque tights and heels again.

Any ideas for alternatives appreciated - I hope this thread helps many as we head into the party season! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->