What to wear when you're nouveau riche

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by BrothaG, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Milada

Milada New Member

Mmmm, MOSCHINO! Particularly the Spring 2006 Collection:
    http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/S2006RTW-MOSCHINO

[​IMG][​IMG]

Throw in some Cavalli, some D&G spiked boots, Gucci thigh-highs, Dolce & Gabbana sparkly dresses. And don't forget Frida's vision of Gucci:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Credit: style.com

Sooo much fun! Can't say it's not fun. :heart:

2. daniellat

daniellat Fashion Designer

thats more fashion victim to me or even slutty but not new rich

3. Milada

Milada New Member

I see Frida's Gucci as very nouveau riche considering so many nouveau riche celebrities have gone for it. I don't think it'd necessarily "slutty."

4. daniellat

daniellat Fashion Designer

i was referring to the kind of cleveage shown above.

i think most nouveau rich people dress to impress to show they have the money to wear all the big desigers, thats why they have everything monogrammed or that screams that is from x brand, show off their money. But having bad taste also applies for everyone else.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    wizbangblog,sofistication.wordpress,zimbio

the nouveau rich look is identified as people who wear ordinary clothes but from a high end brand, they remain "simple" but snce they can afford it now, they spend their money on stupid stuff that dont need to be premium brand but they choose something flashy "in case someone notices"

5. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Active Member

^ I guess the Hiltons' money is oldish at this point ... that certainly is a look that Paris is sporting ;)

This thread I suppose is simply suggestions for the nouveau riche, which they can either take up or not ;)

6. William_St_Girl

William_St_Girl New Member

In post 385 Its the Jacket and Boots that are Ott for me... I think the bag and scarf and leggings and cardi are nice!

It's just that point where you can overdo it... I always think you can get away with one... obvious type signature item... a birkin... a LV monogram... burberry cheque... but any more than one at once is looking tacky... wanabe... look at me!!!

7. UNiQFashionista

UNiQFashionista Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

yes, i agree...more than one obvious item is too much..pick one and keep everything suttle

8. GasolineRainbow

GasolineRainbow New Member

This thread is so funny and entertaining...and true, at times. I must say I am somewhat sympathetic to and forgiving of nouveau riche style. In some ways, or some contexts I should say, I find it appealing in its ostentation and lack of pretence. It is what it is: look at how much money I have. Maybe it's because I come from a country that historically lacks a prominent upper/aristocratic class, and where the now-wealthy, powerful class comprises of mostly 'simple folk' who lucked out. So the distinctions between new/old money, high/low class are quite arbitrary, no? They are just economic terms, unlike many other places, where they are also cultural terms.

Curiously, these distinctions are used all the time, much to my chagrin. And I am no saint, I also snigger at the purported nouveau-riche. What bothers me isn't their personal style; I even covet some of those clothes and accessories. But I despise their architectural style. The restaurants, clubs, hotels, and private homes that cater to this mindset are so ugly!

#388 GasolineRainbow, May 11, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : May 11, 2009
  9. Street_a_Licious

Street_a_Licious New Member

@Milada: that Gucci collection was actually one of the halfway acceptable ones imo. it was hooker trashy enough to be "good". unlike Frida's other collections.......

10. Crying Diamonds

Crying Diamonds Geometric Discharge

World's Most Expensive Suit
    £70,000
    by Alexander Amosu

[​IMG]

Watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66ImJ-98W-k

#390 Crying Diamonds, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Meg_Q: May 12, 2009
  11. Milada

Milada New Member

Oh my god, vicuña! We have them here. I didn't realize their wool is so precious. They're just like llamas, teehee. Er or the camel according to the info above.

Too be honest, I had a softspot for it when it came out and I still do. It is most def not for me, but I remember when it came out, I was in high school and had a myspace. I had a fantastic pic of Snejana in that red dress on it. Come to think of it, I never deleted my myspace, so it's still there, hahaha.

But then I saw a lot of celebrities wearing it and they severely lacked in style. Although I believe I recall Keira Knightley and Kate Hudson being halfway decent. Jessica Simpson on the other hand, hell no. It's just trying too hard to be glamorous. Honestly if I wore it, I'd tone it down.

But I associate Frida's Gucci with nouveau riche because it sells well with celebrities, most of whom are nouveau riche. When I think of the nouveau riche, I think of people who want to flaunt their wealth by wearing the big names like Gucci. Everyone's heard the name Gucci and it's always been synonymous with expensive and glamorous. The people who think money buys style and status. I mean they used Rihanna for ads.

#391 Milada, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : May 12, 2009
  12. Street_a_Licious

they remember the glamour from the Tom Ford era. of which nothing is left these days, thanks to Frida. all hail the woman who can turn gold into stone!

and that suit.... at 70 grand, it better pleasure and massage me all day long! the bling is unneccesary tho. but yeah, i believe it'll sell like hotcakes.

13. Milada

Milada New Member

That's my interpretation as well.

14. reese06

reese06 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Source: style.com

15. apolline

apolline New Member

dont bash those who are new rich people. at least, as weber says, theyre actively pursuing social mobility through their own means instead of mindlessly spending $$ inherited from their parents/ancestors. its just the style which is inherently :x

16. Street_a_Licious

the Chanel cruise pieces would be so pretty if it wasn't for that awful all-over CC...

17. fashionista-ta

I agree, I like the honest, straightforward part of it.

And what you say about architecture is true here as well ... McMansions :yuk: It's so rare to see anything of any architectural value whatsoever in the 'gated communities' that dot the landscape like smallpox :ninja:

LOL at the gold-pinstriped suit and its security :rofl:

18. fashionista-ta

I cannot get past that to see what they would look like ... those are great, reece. Karl must be laughing all the way to the bank ...

19. b9409

b9409 New Member

Chanel pieces are dead-on.

I seriously think 'logo-mania' will be back sooner than we hope. I really do not think it was a fad: it is creeping back, I tell you.

20. Street_a_Licious

if you zoom out, the CCs will get more and more washed out ;) esp the beige one would be so pretty...