1920s Actresses (February 2004 - November 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Really!? What an interesting guy- he was not at all the one dimensional thug that I assumed he was... :unsure:
In any case- it amazes me how these silent screen stars and especially the Ziegfeld Girls were the supermodel/rock stars of their day...do you think a lot of them would be so famous and sought after today?

^ Really!?

Yeah, he's our most famous representative (besides the President and Oprah :lol:) and Chicago's still deeply entrenched in gang culture, so he's not really a relic of the past in the sense that that type of attitude and violence is part of the city culture...he was just the glamorous beginning in a very long line of gangsterism here. :(

I know what you mean...New Jersey where I grew up thinks the Sopranos is a proud commentary on our social life... But getting back to the old film stars, the Broadway/showgirls/mobster culture was a deep tradition- but wouldn't you expect these women to be tall, leggy, stunning beauties? Few of the Roaring 20s girls seemed to fit that image- a lot of them looked pretty mousy and 'normal'- today's Vegas showgirls are far more glamorous!

but wouldn't you expect these women to be tall, leggy, stunning beauties? Few of the Roaring 20s girls seemed to fit that image- a lot of them looked pretty mousy and 'normal'- today's Vegas showgirls are far more glamorous!

The Vegas showgirls seem to be totally masked, like they all look exactly alike and do not show any individuality or spirit.

These old girls are totally opposite, though they may be plainer looking. They exude personality and some, mystery.

And what you said earlier about how they would not be considered great beauties by today's standards...I agree, but that says more about the standards themselves, don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
alice kerwin

ebay.com
alicekerwin09.jpg
alicekerwin09jpg.jpg
:heart:

"rah rah rosalie"!! I love the sound of some of these movies!! :lol: Anyone know a good (i.e. inexpensive) place to look for some of these movies??

Here's a gal that had an interesting life. Justine Johnstone! She was in Ziegfeld Follies. Left at the height of her fame to study drama. Never made it big on Broadway. Starred in some silent flicks. Married famous director Walter Wanger (who would later marry Joan Bennett). Decided she wanted to go to college. Studies medicine at Columbia University. She, along with 5 other scientists, was credited for finding the 5 day cure for syphllis in 1940! (That's it in a nutshell)View attachment 556023

View attachment 556025

View attachment 556027 Pic ! & 2 - grapefruitmoongallery com Pic 3 - claudiacushman.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->