20/20 show about handbags

BlkLadyLaw

Reaction score
Here is the link if you missed ithttp://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2878900

Watch the story on "20/20: Promises, Promises" Friday at 10 p.m. ET"20/20" couldn't resist making a few purchases to see what kind of bargain we could get through the web. At one site, we found a monogrammed Louis Vuitton and a classic Chanel, each for less than half of their retail price, but still pricey at around $600 dollars a piece. At another site, we found a Fendi Spybag for $1,099, and at a third, a Balenciaga for $549. The handbags arrived as promised, even in a protective dust bag, but something just didn't seem right. Finding the FakesABC News enlisted Cameron Silver and Christos Garkinos, two men who authenticate handbags for their vintage stores Decades I and Decades II, to take a look at the discount purchases. In about as much time as it took Google to produce Web site results, Cameron and Christos had some results of their own. Right off the bat, Christos had a few things to say about the so-called classic Chanel. "It's really cheap looking…the diamond stitching does not line up," he said.He joked that the gold coin pull "is great if you want to get maybe a gumball." And the dust cover that the bag came in? "That's literally something for trash, that's a trash bag," he declared. From afar, these bags might "look okay," but up close the differences between authentic designer handbags and the ones "20/20" purchased are obvious. "So much of these luxury bags are about the presentation. It's everything from a box it comes in, the sleeper bag, the experience at the store. You're paying for all those things," said Cameron. Lessons LearnedDespite claims of authenticity and designer name labels, from the bubbling and sheen of the leather on the Louis Vuitton to the stitching and handles on the Fendi, of the six different bags purchased at five different Web sites, every single one turned out to be fake. Worse, "20/20" spent more than $4,700 on bags the likes of which can be found for as little as $35 a piece on Canal Street, New York's counterfeit capital.Experts say the higher the price, the more inclined the consumer is to believe that the bag is real, but as ABC News found, that is not always the case. According to Ron Frasch, President and Chief Merchandising Officer for Saks Fifth Avenue, the only way to ensure authenticity is by purchasing your bag at an authorized retailer, such as Saks. Top department stores and boutiques do offer sales, and if the consumer is willing to purchase a slightly used designer bag, a reputable second hand shop is another avenue to explore. If you're determined to do your shopping online, authorized Internet sites are also an option. The bottom line? Experts say, if you want the real deal, be prepared to pay a premium. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for that.

it always amazes me of how simple the stories are for 20/20 though....like, the show should be more stimulating to the mind. they could have done SOOOOOOO much more with a story like this.

^^ I thought so too. I also wanted to see if they were going to file claims or whatever on the folks who sold them the duds.

But most of it was common sense. It's impossible to get these bags for 50% or 90% off. You think you're getting over on someone cuz you're gonna get a hot bad for pennies, but really they're getting over on you.

IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! And this isn't a new phenomenon either, it's been going on for like 15 yrs, people need to wise up. And not buy for sellers who have shady return policies and -65% feedback.

seriously! maybe we just know too much....but i would have liked for there to be more info. maybe actually go a step farther than anyone ever does with this sort of story and perhaps "find a resolution" instead of just letting people know there's a ton of ways for folks to rip you off.

i think we need heraldo! he'd hunt these folks down all COPS-style and get down to the bottom of things! :rofl:

This story was kind of ridiculous to me. Obviously there are ways to buy authentic handbags online, and from unauthorized dealers, and for less than retail. It kind of annoys me to have 20/20 working with Saks Fifth Avenue to try to scare me into only buying handbags from stores like...of course... Saks Fifth Avenue. :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->