2013 Costume Institute Exhibit : "PUNK: Chaos To Couture"

Riccardo's exclusive pieces for Moda Operandi (there are other looks by other designers).

*Modaoperandi.com

^^^

:woot:...

LMFAO...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

stop it...i can't...

:lol:...

Marina Abramovic is a huge fan of Margiela. But even if she is attending, Tisci most likely already got dibs to dress her.

I'm following the #metgala stream on twitter and I just read a tweet comparing the displays to a department store "I feel like I'm in forever 21" oh god, that's gotta be the worst :blink: from someone who is/was at the Met Gala preview.

Oh jeez... that's disappointing. The annoying celebrity circle-jerks at these events are inevitable, but to hear that the actual exhibition resembles a Forever 21 showcase? Yikes. Just someone's opinion, of course, but still.

I wasn't feeling the cover of the book-- it's a nice enough design, but so inappropriate for representing Punk. Looks more New Wave. Oh well, I'll make up my mind when I see it for myself, hopefully.

And yeah, what is that Tischi monstrosity? Is he not even bothering anymore?

rolling my eyes SO HARD at the circle jerks t shirt thrown in there (for a second i thought they were actually selling it under the name 'givenchy' and nearly fainted). the rest is really bad. it does indeed look like forever 21's take on punk / goth. riccardo was so amazing at reworking the goth-punk imagery, what happened? :D

also lol @ the fake mohawks priced 1400+ dollars. i can't

What I think would have been incredibly exciting for the designers to have done for Moda Operandi would have been to re-issue pieces that are in the exhibit - instead of a half arsed attempt at recycling a previous idea into something totally irrelevant.

Like mistress_f said, I find some of the prices to be absurd, all in the name of 'exclusivity'.

i would love to see some of those pieces up close... but the setting / everything looks so cheap? those wigs, the sets... it looks subpar considering how beautiful their exhibition spaces usually are

So I'm confused, the space that has the mirror and wooden beams with clothing hanging off it--is that the little shop they always have set up at the end of the exhibit? It honestly doesn't like as though it's part of the show, which already has me confused, and it looks pretty empty/odd if it's part of the actual show. Or maybe it's Malcolm McLaren's shop he owned with Westwood? Either way, it doesn't look as though it's actually finished, and I certainly don't say that b/c. of the exposed beams...

I can't get over the fact that the same wigs are used in every, single room. One room is okay, but all of them? NO! I think it's time to call Julien d'Ys back...

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing that came to mind when I saw Tisci's collection was vampires, not punk...

TianCouture:Yes-- it's a corner replica of the SEX shop.

And yeah, if those stupid wigs are used for the entire exhibition, that's a horrible idea. The style was as much on the head and face as it was on the body and should be shown as such.

And photos are coming, it's really nice that Linda Fargo got into the spirit and went totally punk, adore her!

vys6r.jpg

Bergdorf Goodman @ twitter.com

Last edited by a moderator:
oh jeez.....that sounds depressing,cold.

and that tisci collection....hahahaha!!!!!

and what is with those hideous afro wigs??!! have they confused "Funk" with "Punk"????

and what is with those hideous afro wigs??!! have they confused "Funk" with "Punk"????

Actually Scott... Bear with me while i geek out for a moment: Those aren't afro-wigs, some punks did have that hairstyle-- even Siouxsie wore that style for some time, as did Sid Vicious. But the rainbow version looks too clownish and very "party-favor store accessory", and maybe the "pouffiness" is just a bit too much and cartoonish here. Little details make all the difference.

Someone mentioned upthread (sorry, can't remember who it was and am too lazy to run up there to confirm) that even the Sex Pistols weren't quite so punk as they were made out to be. I do agree, if anyone's read Johnny Rotten's book "No Irish - No Blacks - No dogs", Johnny actually confirms this. They were managed-- quite brilliantly by Malcolm, and weren't formed in an organic fashion. They were put together by Malcolm, dressed brilliantly by Viv and sold as the ultimate punk guys. These guys weren't phony by any account and Sid was really as dumb and self-destructive as he's made out to be, but they were put together, styled and sold as any boyband would have been. Johnny was always too smart, ambitious and clever to be just a punk.

^That's one of the things that I found rather random for Riccardo to chair this years gala, the fact he is known for his gothic-romantisism - than his execution of a punk aesthetic, I would have been more compelled to have had Vivienne Westwood to chair this years or someone of her genre.

I think a lot of celebs got carried away with the theme and they ended up looking too costumy :shock:

where's the thread where we post all the pics and comment as they come in?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->