MET Costume Institute Exhibition 2016: "Manus x Machina"

Marc10

Staff member
Reaction score
On Tuesday, the Metropolitan Museum of Art announced the new theme for next year’s Met Gala: “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology.” The upcoming exhibition will focus on the dichotomy between handmade haute couture and machine-made fashion. “Traditionally, the distinction between the haute couture and prêt-à-porter was based on the handmade and the machine-made,” explains Andrew Bolton, curator of the Costume Institute. “But recently this distinction has become increasingly blurred as both disciplines have embraced the practices and techniques of the other.”

The show will feature more than 100 pieces of fashion, both haute couture and ready-to-wear. Several handmade couture items, featuring techniques such as embroidery, pleating, and lacework, will be juxtaposed with machine-made designs showcasing new technologies like laser cutting, thermo shaping, and circular knitting. The exhibition will also have several “in process” workshops, including 3-D printing, in which the public will be able to see these designs take shape.

The museum also announced the 2016 Met Gala will take place on Monday, May 2 and will be hosted by cochairs Idris Elba, Jonathan Ive, Taylor Swift, and Anna Wintour. Nicolas Ghesquière, Karl Lagerfeld, and Miuccia Prada will serve as honorary chairs, and the gala and accompanying exhibition will be sponsored by Apple.
vogue

I'm surprised Alicia Vikander isn't part of this considering her ties to LV and her role in Ex Machina.

taylor swift???

whatever... the theme has potential, im actually curious as to how it will turn out

Yeah, Taylor Swift does seem random but I'm pretty sure it's all part of a strategy to bring fashion even closer to younger generations.

I like the addition of Karl, Nicolas and Miuccia. Very suitable choices.

Every year they have co hosts who are random, its just who Wintour thinks is big at any given year, there is no reason.

The theme doesn't interest me either!

Karl seems applicable because of his recent foray into 3D printed haute couture. So does Ghesquière, especially fitting with his recent work. But I wonder why not Raf. You always read reviews of his collections with a nod to fabric innovation through technological feats. Wonder if any McQueen will be displayed...

It doesn't matter what the theme is, everyone will come dressed in boring couture dresses, and wait around to see what Beyonce and Rihanna show up in.

Anna Wintour is so random, yet obvious with her choices to co-chair
Taylor Swift is not a surprise.

im surprised Chalayan wasn't asked to be a chairman. I mean all of his collections are based on technology.

Jonathan Ive as a co-chair, and Apple as the corporate sponsor make perfect sense, but Taylor Swift?! WUT?!

Taylor will bring all the tween girls and Idra will attract all their hausfrau mums. They’re the connection to the common people. And Jonathan Ives will get the attention of all the nerds.

Can't wait till next year when the Kanye, Kardashians and Jenners will be named cochairs of this event.

It’s business as usual with Anna.

I really hope somebody wears Chalayan and has 'the magic' moment on the red carpet and rest can suck it.

Taylor will bring all the tween girls and Idra will attract all their hausfrau mums. They’re the connection to the common people. And Jonathan Ives will get the attention of all the nerds.

Can't wait till next year when the Kanye, Kardashians and Jenners will be named cochairs of this event.

It’s business as usual with Anna.

:lol::heart::lol::heart:

Yeahhhh, they lost any credibility they had a long time ago. This is the most media/commercial driven lineup imaginable.

All the co-chairs and honorary chairs make sense. I wonder what those celebrities are going to wear.

I don't know if anyone will show up in Balenciaga spring 2007 or vintage Mugler. Maybe some Versace or Dolce from 2007.

Fashion has been so much about pragmatism and comfort that the idea of technology/machina seems a bit weird.

I believe Prada & Chanel will be more about the new fabrics...
It's going to be interesting.

It's been a long time since Karl attended a MET BALL. We can expect a lot of Apple watches.:shifty:

im surprised Chalayan wasn't asked to be a chairman. I mean all of his collections are based on technology.

I thought the same! When i read the topic Chalayan was the only name that came to my mind.

Every year I get so excited about the themes and all the possibilities on the red carpet, right now I have all these looks that could be worn but will end up disappointed.

But yes Vintage Thierry Mugler, Nichola's Balenciaga, Hussein Chalayan, Iris Van Harpen would be perfect.

Someone needs to wear those Balenciaga gold cyborg leggings

Beyonce already owns one of the few gold leggings, it would be a good time to bring them out and contact her old friend Thierry Mugler to let her borrow one of his famous corsets but she'll probably wear some hideous thing by Riccardo.

^^^ I though Bey looked phenomenal at last year’s event: She was a slinky android-Barbie come to life. Very tacky, very trashy, and very plastic… But so surreal, so unreal, so fantastic, so OTT. It’s how I always wanted the guests to dress for such a high fashion event.

But this is 'Murica and Anna's influence, where they dress like it’s the prom for every event— and looking as seriously pretty and boring, and safe-sexy is what it’s all about. So expect Taylor to look breezy pretty in a long flowing gown that will be get the approval of all the suburban tweens and their mums, while Kendall and Selena Gomez will wear their prerequisite body hugging— but modestly covered, glittery gowns for PG-rated sexy approval.

Forget about Nicolas’ C-3PO leggings and Hussein’s techno-coutures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->